digitalrampage

PowerBook 150 - screens all destroyed?!

So I was showing some people my collection yesterday when I pulled out my PowerBook 150 and the screen was all bubbled and warped.

I pulled out another, the same. Almost like heat damage!

i went into my storage in another room and a third Pb150 was the same, bubble in the screen and what looks to be cracks under the polarizer

has anyone seen such a thing, I'm very very worried why it happened. I can't make any sense of it. They are stored in 20-30 degree temp year round on their sides

Ouch! I feel your pain. I just checked mine and the LCD seems fine, but it didn't boot using the PB100 adapter just now. Looks like I was working on it at some point, the lid's about halfway open. :/

1 hour ago, AlpineRaven said:

how and where was it stored? (as I am curious)

I know someone had a couple of PowerBooks which was being stored are all not working - he doesnt know how and why.
Cheers

AP

In my living room 2 units and bedroom

another 1. They have no batteries installed and. The right hand side and middle of LCD is purple and white with blisters under the LCD polarizer. I'll post a pic

image.jpg

6 hours ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

GAK! I wonder if I should look into trying to peel mine off before this happens. :O

I wouldn't until we know what's caused it. Hopefully someone else has seen this before and we. An correlate something that's caused it

It makes me fear for the future of these particular powerbook's with monochrome LCDs. It was a nightmare opening the 145b, plastic just broke everywhere trying to get to the panel, snapped the ribbon cable, I got real lucky with my 180 though. I got my 180 from a teacher at my former high school, maybe I can ask the IT department if they have any more, will have to wait a while but it should be worth it, they have an unused room full of old computers and many more rooms piled with them.

Don't have any LCDs to spare right now, I have a recapped one for backup. Good luck if are going to replace a panel, try not to snap that ribbon cable like I did.

Edited by Jon183

On 25/12/2017 at 2:07 AM, unity said:

Since others dont appear to have this issue to this degree, it appear environmental in nature.

I can only think that, but it doesn't explain why my 140, 145,160,170,180c,2400,250,2300 all sitting with them are fine. It's just the 3 x 150s affected. Arggg

What do you know about the history of the units? If they all came from the same source perhaps someone used a destructive chemical to clean them and it's taken a while for the damage to show.

Ough !! that hurts ! Sorry for that. Pulled mines from the closet from fear and for inspection. None have this kind of thing...

Indeed if yours all came from the same source, they could all had something sprayed on the screens at some point.

Or maybe it's the place there are stored. I remember a story about a certain well-known furnitures manufactured that had to recall some wooden closets and beds. Clients had skin and eyes irritations, vomiting. Turns out the glue used was a "bad mix" and was diffusing toxic fumes :/ Dunno if these kind of thing could have effect on some plastics though...

Edited by galgot

3 minutes ago, galgot said:

Ough !! that hurts ! Sorry for that. Pulled mines from the closet from fear and for inspection. None have this kind of thing...

Indeed if yours all came from the same source, they could all had something sprayed on the screens at some point.

Or maybe it's the place there are stored. I remember a story about a certain well-known furnitures manufactured that had to recall some wooden closets and beds. Clients had skin and eyes irritations, vomiting. Turns out the glue used was a "bad mix" and was diffusing toxic fumes :/ Dunno if these kind of thing could have effect on some plastics though...

All of them from different sources. They were stored 20 meters apart and the only thing that is similar is they sit sideways on Ikea shelves. I always store my machines sideways to prevent damage to the LCD's if you stack them. The only thing that comes to mind is that humidity might be a factor. Living in Australia, the humidity is a little high

20 minutes ago, digitalrampage said:

... on Ikea shelves.

Mmmh :/ that's the furnitures manufacturer I was talking about in that story. Was 2/3 years ago maybe.

Then they had to make tighter controls on how their stuff were made and with what... Worth checking maybe ?

Edited by galgot

13 minutes ago, galgot said:

Mmmh :/ that's the furnitures manufacturer I was talking about in that story. Was 2/3 years ago maybe.

Then they had to make tighter controls on how their stuff were made and with what... Worth checking maybe ?

I doubt it. Its melamine and it would have affected the other 12 machines stored directly next to them but didn't.

On 12/27/2017 at 11:26 PM, digitalrampage said:

All of them from different sources. They were stored 20 meters apart and the only thing that is similar is they sit sideways on Ikea shelves. I always store my machines sideways to prevent damage to the LCD's if you stack them. The only thing that comes to mind is that humidity might be a factor. Living in Australia, the humidity is a little high

If humidity was little high - I don't think so! I got my PB150 from Cairns and he is the original owner and humidity is even higher up there. I hate buying Camera lenses from Darwin/Queensland as I always end up getting fungus in these lenses!
Cheers

AP

Oh boy! Sad to look at the pics :(

My PB160 is just fine still, and has been exposed to lots of humidity before (once causing an issue with the screen as well). I did see one on E-Bay a while back (long long while back) that had the same issue... I believe the seller said something about possible heat exposure?

Edit: What about water (or other liquid) damage? If they have batteries, did they leak?

Edited by TechEdison

19 hours ago, Unknown_K said:

What did you clean the displays with before they were put on the shelf?

Nothing, they are in original condition from three sources. Have not serviced these yet. Completely untouched and the storage conditions are the same for all of my PB 100 series, only the 150's are affected.

Man that sucks! My Compaq Contura 4/25 had this same problem when I got it but I managed to find an NOS LCD panel for it.

These things were stored in extremely high temperatures for an extended period of time. No doubt about it. This is what happens to the LCDs from that. This probably caused the adhesive to break down over time. The reason why I am saying heat is because if you take a heatgun to an LCD which I have before (out of nefariousness), you get the same results. 

I remember seeing this on some other powerbooks on ebay. 

Edit: Ah, here is one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MACKINTOSH-POWERBOOK-140-USED-UNTESTED/330785443351?hash=item4d04594e17:g:uK8AAOSw5dNWqjlA

Similar deal. 

Good news is, you can get replacement polarizing film with adhesive. It isnt cheap but its doable and easily fixed if your careful. 

Edited by techknight

I feel for you! Had the same experience a few days ago. Happened to my PB 2300c, 520c, 230 duo and surprise, surprise my PB G3 Lombard. Will try to attach pictures later this week. They were all stored at a normal room temperature with the dehumidifier constantly running. Interestingly, I also have quite a few vintage PC laptops (mostly Toshibas from the same time period) some even stored in the same cabinets, but they seem to be perfectly fine! I searched various forums, but couldn't find much information about this phenomenon. 

I think it all depends on their previous life and exposures. I know alot of the PB170/180 machines had tunneling, but mine does NOT so it may have been stored differently. But its hard to say.