Sign in to follow this  
Geforce2187

7200/75 Sound problem

I just picked up a 7200/75, all of the sounds including the startup sound play at double speed- anyone know what could cause this? Motherboard/capacitors looks in good shape, everything is original except for RAM was upgraded from 8 MB to 16 MB

PRAM battery is currently still original

I washed with distilled water and let dry, but still have the same issue. What exact type of capacitors would I need for this board? 

I see three different types:

- f2 47u 16v

-d4 100u 6v

-10 16S 5B6

What does the first number mean? And the third type of capacitor is small one, and has different letters than the others?

Also, wondering if the PSU has an issue and there's a wrong voltage- I don't have a multimeter right now and i'm not even sure what voltages are on what lines- the main connector looks like a regular ATX connector?

That sounds more like a faulty chip or logic or something on the board.  Have you tried zapping PRAM?  

I see three different types:

- f2 47u 16v

-d4 100u 6v

-10 16S 5B6

What does the first number mean? And the third type of capacitor is small one, and has different letters than the others?

I would have to check my 7200/75 board to be sure but my *guess* would be the first 2 are codes for manufacturing or something like that.  16 volt 47uf and 6 volt 100uf as you probably figured out.  The last one is different in that it is probably 16 volt (16S), 10uf (10).  The 5B6 is probably a code.  Again this is my guess based only on my experience replacing caps and I am a hack at best and far from an electronics guru. :wink:

Edited by Zippy Zapp
forgot a quote

If its the sound chip is bad, are there any PCI sound cards that are compatible with early power macs/system 7? The current sound chip is a Crystal, not sure of the model number off the top of my head