Trash80toHP_Mini

ProtoCache1.1 - IIsi/SE/30 PowerCache Adapter Prototype

While we're in the realm of wild guesses and tilting at windmills...

What (roughly) would be involved in implementing fast RAM or cache onboard the adapter?

Cache is on the PowerCache, but Bolle doesn't think it'd be a big deal to put it on an accelerator build IIRC.

You're thinking along my line of thought when it comes to a VM RAM Disk for the 68030 PDS. I'm more interesting in doing it on a socketed upgrade card with 72 pin SIMMs similar to the SIMMspender for use in more 68030 Macs like my IIfx. The daughtercard on Bolle's Quesse board appears to be the model:

68030-VM_RAM_setup_for_SE_on_Quesse_DaughterCard.JPG.028253427a56527cf0f6483ed3be114c.JPG

Line driver/buffering and a GAL based memory controller to generate CAS/RAS/Bank Select etc. are all on there.

Dunno where in the address map it might fit, but there's plenty reserved in every 68030 Mac that its onboard MMU might page.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

On 20.1.2018 at 7:08 PM, Von said:

User GeekDot engaged on this quest and delivered 2 revs to the Carrera CP, neither of which worked. Our thinking was that the init needed to be patched too.  Problem is that in one of these posts there was much discussion (spring/summer of 2017) and possible direction appears to have been lost in the site upgrade. Both of us have asks into the Admins to see if the missing posts can be recovered...

Bump ;-)

While cory and bunsen seem to have read my plea for reactivating the mentioned thread, it's still dead, Dodo, vanished, Kaputt... :'-( 

It was sort of documentation so it's heavily missed.

The previous URL was https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/21280-se40-grayscale-need-help-with-a-carrera-hack/?p=330470 

Thanks for helping & cheers,

Axel

19 hours ago, GeekDot said:

Bump ;-)

While cory and bunsen seem to have read my plea for reactivating the mentioned thread, it's still dead, Dodo, vanished, Kaputt... :'-( 

It was sort of documentation so it's heavily missed.

The previous URL was https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/21280-se40-grayscale-need-help-with-a-carrera-hack/?p=330470 

Thanks for helping & cheers,

Axel

I second the ask on recovering that thread as I just sorted out how I might this all jammed inside my SE/30 in this thread: My PDS Extension Cable...DONE

Awesome development here!

I am just reading through the threads here, so it looks like the compatibility matrix hasn't changed with this board compared to a TwinSpark right?

I was working on cloning the MacCon and had this funny idea:

https://imgur.com/a/bDyI1Jj

Why build a MacCon in original form factor that needs another adapter plugged on top of it if you can make it just one big thing and safe a few bucks on useless connectors?

Curious if this will work.

Edited by Bolle

18 minutes ago, Bolle said:

I was working on cloning the MacCon and had this funny idea:

https://imgur.com/a/bDyI1Jj

Why build a MacCon in original form factor that needs another adapter plugged on top of it if you can make it just one big thing and safe a few bucks on useless connectors?

This looks very interesting.  I had pondered if something like the 10/100 board someone here developed (I think Mac to the Future).  It would be nice and not terrible to integrate both.  Though I wonder if something likes @ants did could be integrated with WiFi.  That would bypass the need for other stuff 

1 hour ago, Bolle said:

.  .  .  make it just one big thing and safe a few bucks on useless connectors?

Very cool, you also save on capacitance added by the connectors, making the assembly more stable for supporting PowerCache and passthru stack.

10 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

Very cool, you also save on capacitance added by the connectors, making the assembly more stable for supporting PowerCache and passthru stack.

That’s true as he designed it is very optimized to have the most functions. 

Bumpage was Bolle's exciting announcement his project: equipping his tall naked DiiMO form factor ProtCache Adapter with the addition of a MacCon clone in the blank real estate on the PCB.

Going from memory in a hurry during lunch: LC PDS is 96-pins, same connectors used for NuBus. IIRC the LCIII moved to a 120 pin interface (same as 030 PDS Connector) with at least a couple of rows of pins missing for the two part connector extension setup. ISTR the Quadra 630 PDS moved on to a full 120-pin implementation, but most LC cards were missing the 'gate" at the extension end of the connector by then, so they work fine in the longer full 120-pin implementation of the Q630 series pin compatible with the original LC PDS.

On 10/30/2019 at 8:37 AM, Bolle said:

Are you using the same components the maccon uses? And you still need the smaller board that you plug in ethernet, right?

2 hours ago, tt said:

Are you using the same components the maccon uses? And you still need the smaller board that you plug in ethernet, right?

Yes, mostly the same components. The bipolar ROM will be replaced by a normal flashrom but other than that it will be the same.

I was planning to just wire up an AUI port to the breakout box connector on the card and use an external transceiver. (or use the standard Asante breakout - for some reason I have more breakout boards than ethernet cards)