Sign in to follow this  
xboxown

best drawing program to be used in apple // basic

Hey guys,

I think I found couple of compile basic programs for apple // 8 bit mode not DOS 3.3 basic mind you. I think one is called Z-Basic or something, I don't know. Anyways, I want to know what is the best paint program for apple // where I can draw and save the pics then be able to open the pics in basic program? I want to make a text adventure. OH! Another thing, is there a book or tutorial in how to code to open a pic in basic program?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't ever seen any references to opening image files with applesoft basic. I don't know about any other version of basic for the system, if basic got used for that kind of app, it likely was an app that had its own image handling routines added, otherwise you'd need to refer to the documentation included with the development tools, which can be difficult to track down.

I would look into whether or not HyperCard on GS/OS is better for your particular needs

On December 2, 2017 at 11:49 PM, xboxown said:

Anyways, I want to know what is the best paint program for apple // where I can draw and save the pics then be able to open the pics in basic program? Another thing, is there a book or tutorial in how to code to open a pic in basic program?

Use a program that will save the pictures as high-resolution graphics screens. Then in Applesoft, you can BLOAD the file, and set the screen softswitches, $C050 and $C057 to display the high-resolution image.

Some quick Googling shows that The Graphics Magician is a specialized paint program for making sprites, animations, and pictures for Apple II programming.  That might be the best pick.