mactjaap

EtherWave Mac/PB Adapter and Classic Mac

I'm not lucky.....

I put it on a 1.4 M disk ...called the disk Farallon EN Installer 2.2.2.. But it is complaining that:

"This is not the correct "Farallon EN Installer 2.2.2" disk. What I'm I doing wrong? It also doesn't install from an external hard disk...

sorry to hear that, there must be some kind of disk check then

i'll see if i can get any luck with the installer tommrow (however i don't actually have one of these etherwave adapters)

Maybe someone here might be able to patch the check out?

You shouldn't need the setup utility, you just need to drop the PB Adapter extension in the extensions folder. That should do it (this is assuming you want to run it in Ethernet mode"

No go!

I added the PB Adapter extension in the Extension folder and rebooted. Still no extra choice in the Network control panel or MacTCP. I guess I really need to do the setup......

My latest guess is that I need to put the Installer maybe in the root of the floppy disk??

If someone else has a good idea..please let me know!

BIG SUCCESS!!!!!

IT WORKS!!!

On advice from one of our members I used Shrinkwrap to mount the disk. Then, with Extentions off, I installed the drivers with success.

Now the PB Adapter can have a own IP adres from the normal Ethernet range I use in my house. So no macIPgw....

My PowerBook will be online tonight on:

http://mac.vanegten.com

Comming week I will make some screen shots to show how it works.

Sorry that that image from my site never worked out, and now my site is also offline :/
Why is this? What happened??

I hope you get it back soon (assuming you didn't take it down intentionally, of course).

c

p.s. Did you ever sell your Plus?

Yes the plus was sold :'(

also the site is down on purpose because I couldn't afford the renewals and the hosting :'(:'(

It's all good. I have backups of everything and eventually it will go up on a free host.

Tested it today on 7.1 and 7.5. Both install without any problems. I used Shrinkwrap on 7.5 and Diskcopy 6.3.3 on 7.1

Setup MacTCp as Ethernet Build-In and use an IP adress from the normal Ethernet range. I use as DNS my MacIPgw, which has a name server on board.

So in my setup the PowerBook has 192.168.62.209, the router / gateway 192.168.62.1 and my MacIPgw (nameserver) 192.168.62.10

So...yes a EtherWave adapter can work with MacTCP without any gateway. It behaves as an Ethernet card.

I'm glad that I could have tested this now!

To round it up.

I bought the EtherWave adapter in June 2013. I didn’t work. A red light was burning. When I opened it up I found out that one of the capacitors was getting much to warm. I replaced it and I had green lights all over!

When I connected it without any driver it worked like a normal hardware LocalBridge. You see the AppleTalk network, but cannot use it as an Alternative Ethernet card or switch to it in network or MacTCP control panel.

Thanks to all our community I got the drivers. Many thanks for that again. I will attach the image I used for this on this post.

The rest is simple. Just mount this disk and install the drivers on 7.1 or 7.5. Startup with Extentions Off (hold shift when booting).

You see two images how the network control panel looks and the MacTCP control panel.

1.jpg.f7bdf8787e7d61b14966cbf62bfd7fee.jpg

2.jpg.9451111c7d02067cd32b86e25acaad65.jpg

This is the image for the version 2.2.2.

FarallonEtherWave.zip

So that was the last stumbling block, running the installer with extensions turned off? With the extensions on it would give you that complaint about the disk not being an authentic disk?

I'm just glad that a copy of the installer is freely available again. That is going to be the major sticking point for anyone that wants to get one of these up and running.

No... the problem was that I copied the Installer files to a floppy. That didn't work.... Even with the correct floppy name.

I had to mount the disk image and install it from there.

And yes...then a successful installation is also only possible with extensions off.

The adapter is working fine now for several days. I noticed that the PowerBook and adapter work better under System 7.5 than under 7.1.

My web server responds even when screen is almost off and HD is off. It wakes up and serves a page.....

I've noticed networking, in general, works better in 7.5. However, using OT 1.2.1 in 7.1.2P seems to work quite well, even if it uses 300-400k more RAM than MacTCP. However, having DHCP is indispensable.

If they could get Wi-Fi working on the PB500 series with a Rev-C PCMCIA card cage on 7.1.x, I'd be really interested, but it has not been possible, as far as I'm aware.

Not sure if this thread is closed or dead (last post in 2013 :undecided:), but check this thread out for cheap hardware for networking your Macs: 

Edited by 10001001sos