Sign in to follow this  
uniserver

Caps! IIcx -- IIci

you can go around the board and replace all the 16v 47uf caps, and the 16v 10uf ones too, but if you don't remember to get the 3 big round 16v 470uf caps and the smaller 16v 220uf ones, you are going to have flaky soft power issues. Even though these caps look like they are not leaking, it doesn't matter they are bad change them!

Those caps caused me all kinds of odd issues, changed them all the issues went away. In both the IIcx and the IIci.

image of the IIcx and caps:

5a1d041b45fc0_IMG_15022.thumb.jpg.6bd99cafc22ef0959a9b598fa78146ee.jpg

After replacing the (3)-470uf and the (1)-220uf in the IIcx the soft power started working,

the Proper amount of ram started showing up,

Dougg's ROM Simm started working.

-No joke!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

IIcx

8 - 47uf

2 - 10uf

1 - 220uf

3 - 470uf

See below for details.

Last edit: 12/02/12 jt

here is the IIci board

IMG_1503.thumb.jpg.0aa5bbd9d97d74b0af278d6c3f5e2a5f.jpg

same thing, if you don't replace the big 470uf caps and the 220uf cap, you will have soft power issues.

________________________________________________________________________________________

IIci

8 - 47uf

1 - 220uf

3 - 470uf

2 - 10uf

(470uf 11 Cents ea) http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/EPC'>http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/EPC ... qtiF3bk%3d

(220uf 10 Cents ea) http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/EPC ... 2fjVDHs%3d

(47uf 10 Cents ea) http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cor ... PkSZyQc%3d

(10uf 10 Cents ea) http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nic ... qchWk7w%3d

I went with mouser over digikey because their cheapest had a 2000 hour rating vs Digikey's cheapest only having a 1000 hour rating, that is the only reason.

last edit: 12/02/12 jt

Nice job of visual documentation, I like it! Well done comrade.

If you compile a table of the silk screen layer component designations with the full electrical specs, form factor (axial /radial) and a parts list we're very close to perfecting a howto format!

I really like the individual pics of components that are cropping up.

A table of DigiKey/North American, ____?____/AUS, ____?____/EEU order numbers would be most excellent.

Things are brewing nicely at the grass roots level for the ReCap project.

Thread linked: Capacitor Replacement Thread . . .

ok soon to come is LC I/II/III Caps! do you like them groped like that or separate?

i was going to do classic I/II together as well.

Mac IIsi Caps! is going to be on its own :)

I'm in the middle of recapping my IIcx and have run into a bit of a problem: are those two 10uF caps not polarised? There's no polarity sign on the silkscreen and the white square (where the cap goes) doesn't have any chamfered edges which usually indicates the positive terminal.

After checking for ground continuity it appears that the two 10uF caps seem to be mounted the other way round compared to the 47uF caps C8-C11.

Any help / clarification would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ps: the Mouser link below for the 10uF is for a polarised cap, so I guess it must be a polarised one.

On 12/1/2012 at 2:42 AM, uniserver said:

here is the IIci board

IMG_1503.thumb.jpg.0aa5bbd9d97d74b0af278d6c3f5e2a5f.jpg

I bit off topic but can someone tell me if this IIci board has 32 KB on the board?  This lowendmac article mentions the cache came standard on later models:

Core System

• CPU: 25 MHz 68030
  • FPU: 25 MHz 68882
  • ROM: 512 KB
  • RAM: 1 MB, expandable to 128 MB using 4-SIMM banks of 80ns 30-pin memory; can use 256 KB, 512 KB, 1 MB, 2 MB, 4 MB, 8 MB, and 16 MB SIMMs
  • L2 cache: optional, later 32 KB standard

I just got this IIci and I can't tell if it has the cache as I have only had it running for a few minutes in the wonky layout in this post. My board is PN 820-0242-A dated 1989.  I am guessing mine does not have the cache:

2018-09-20_17_42_56.jpg

THx!

10 hours ago, 360alaska said:

The 32k Cache comes on a cache card, if you don't have the cache card then you don't have the 32kb cache.

32K cache card. They're comparatively inexpensive on ebay.

IIci_cache_card.jpg

3 hours ago, Von said:

THx for the input @360alaska & @MOS8_030. My question was driven by the copy on the lowendmac article that states that there were later IIci boards with that cache on the motherboard. Sounds like that may not be correct.

No, the article said it came standard. That's just means it came with the cache card standard, that doesn't mean that Apple redesigned the logic board to have onboard cache.