Sign in to follow this  
sacmac

Emac and handycam! HELP!

I recently acquired a Sony Handycam mod DCR-SR68. It seems to be a nice little handycam....but when i went to import my vid clips to my Emac I found that it would not transfer the vid clips, only the snapshots. The clips were of my moms 90th birthday and it would mean a lot to me to be able to work with them, perhaps burn a dvd of the clips. I am running an Emac which is 700mghz and 1000mgs of ram, with Os 10.3.9!

I am not sure if this is the proper forum to ask this, but I have to try somethiong, you guys are always great, so i am hoping someone might have had a similar prob and solved it! I will appreciate any help that can be given.

Bob (Sacmac)

No, Ken, this camera has a built in hard drive (80 Gig). The software from Sony doesn't support Mac. I can get to the photo's with Iphoto but can't seem to get to the vid clips and they are important to me! Thanks for the response though!

Take 2:

search google to see if there is a way to make the camera mount in mac os x as storage device, THEN you should be able to remove the individual files.

Solid State cameras are only supported in iMovie '08 or higher, which only works on a G5 or higher. (And the SR68 is only supported in iMovie '09.)

You may be able to use software such as MPEGstreamclip to transcode the files, after manually copying off the camcorder, as ken suggests.

Try going to the camera through the Finder, rather than through any application. First, kill any applications. Then attach the camera. With luck, it will show up on the desktop as a hard drive after a short pause. If not: open a new Finder window on the desktop (Apple-N) then hit the "Up" arrow in the window till you are at the level where your hard drive appears. It should be listed there. If it is, open it, and drag the items you need out of it to the desktop or a folder.

Are you connecting via USB or Firewire (iLink)? Shouldn't make any difference apart from speed - IIRC, the eMac has USB1.1, not USB2.