Sign in to follow this  
CatCakes

Mac SE power connector

Quick question,

Anyone take apart their Mac SE recently? Mine has a power connector that won't quit. I know about the clip, even with the clip actually clipped off it's still hanging on for dear life. Has anyone else experienced this super strong power connector? I can add more ram by slipping the board out while prying the already dented rails it fits into apart a bit (bent when I got the SE, I'm assuming by the first owner who thought that the power connector was impossible)

I wouldn't worry about it normally, but as I stated in another thread, I might be getting an accelerator card from Micromac soon (he's checking his stock) and that thing has a space cut out for the power connector. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this seemingly glued connection before.

Thanks.

Mine has a power connector that won't quit. I know about the clip, even with the clip actually clipped off it's still hanging on for dear life. Has anyone else experienced this super strong power connector?

Almost everyone who has cracked an SE has had the same experience. I'm afraid that you need to be quite brutal to prise the connector apart. For obvious reasons, avoid using a metal tool to do this. But it needs to be rigid, very slim and be unlikely to cause damage if your hand slips. A difficult combination of attributes...

When you have removed the power connector, ask yourself a few questions. Am I going to throw this Mac around? Am I going to transport it in the back of a car for long distances? If the answer is No, just cut off the security tab on the power connector. The Molex is a firm fit and will work fine without the security tab in normal use. The biggest threat to the life of your Mac is quickly releasing the tab and swiping the yoke of the CRT with the back of your hand.

The biggest threat to the life of your Mac is quickly releasing the tab and swiping the yoke of the CRT with the back of your hand.

Indeed!