Photo

How to install A/UX on a Quadra 700?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Phreakinus

Phreakinus

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:46 AM

When I boot off the floppy, it starts trying to load files from the CD, but the progress bar stops and won't go any further... Anyone had this problem? Version 3.0.1 by the way.

#2 ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker
  • LocationNebraska Macintosh Guard, Eastern Division

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:44 PM

Sounds like a problem I read about in the FAQ. Don't have time right now to look it up though. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else. Sorry man...just woke up!

#3 Phreakinus

Phreakinus

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:57 AM

I don't see anything about it in the FAQ... :(
tromboner

#4 Unknown_K

Unknown_K
  • 68LC040
  • LocationOhio/USA

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:40 AM

Does it stop the same place each time? Where did you get the CD image from?
Favorites: big box Mac IIs, 950, 800's
Wanted: Anything Nubus, Video capture and editing hardware and software for 68k mac. Original software including A/UX.
Looking for 9150, Mac II, Color classic, 840av motherboard, and Nubus cards.

#5 Phreakinus

Phreakinus

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:17 AM

I got the image from the Vintage Computer Files KDX server. And yes, same place every time, or just about. I will try a different CD drive. Edit: It was the CD drive. I got it to boot into the actual A/UX operating system now (it ejects the floppy), but it says it cannot locate any disk drives, and that I should check the SCSI connections, termination, etc. I am not very familiar with SCSI so I really don't know what I should do. :-/ The hard drive is a Quantum Atlas II 4.5GB. The CD drive is an Apple 12x CD-ROM.

#6 ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:02 PM

I was thinking of http://christtrek.dy... ... stNoRootFS - and yeah, the solution is basically try a different (slower, even 1x) drive, and make sure you are burning to CD-R.

#7 tmtomh

tmtomh
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA, USA

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:16 AM

A/UX doesn't like 12X CD drives. It works reliably with the Apple 1X (caddy loading) and 2X (tray or caddy loading) drives. It will sometimes work, post-installation, with 4X and 8X Apple CD drives, but usually not for the actual installation of the OS. You want to burn the CD-R at a relatively slow speed so the older Apple CD-ROM drive will be sure to read it okay; but the really crucial issue is to use the older CD-ROM drives for installation of A/UX. M

#8 Phreakinus

Phreakinus

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:44 AM

The CD drive does not seem to be the problem. It cannot see my hard drive. Or so I think...

#9 Unknown_K

Unknown_K
  • 68LC040
  • LocationOhio/USA

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:35 AM

The quadra 700 has 1 SCSI bus I believe. If there is only one SCSI bus then the external CDROM is on the same bus as the internal HD. Check to see if the internal HD is terminated (old stock internal HDs had termination resister packs plugged in underneath toward the 50 pin SCSI connector, remove them). The external CDROM must be terminated (use an external terminator plug). make sure the SCSI ID on the HD is not the same as the CDROM (I tend to use 0 for internal drives and 4 for CDROM).
Favorites: big box Mac IIs, 950, 800's
Wanted: Anything Nubus, Video capture and editing hardware and software for 68k mac. Original software including A/UX.
Looking for 9150, Mac II, Color classic, 840av motherboard, and Nubus cards.

#10 Phreakinus

Phreakinus

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:22 AM

Oh sorry I should have mentioned I am not using an external drive. I have them both on the same cable.
tromboner

#11 Phreakinus

Phreakinus

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:05 AM

Nevermind I got it installed... The 12x drive worked fine, I just had to figure out how SCSI works.
tromboner

#12 ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:04 PM

Nevermind I got it installed... The 12x drive worked fine, I just had to figure out how SCSI works.

Huzzah! Yeah, learning about SCSI is a necessary evil of working with 68k Macs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users