Sign in to follow this  
MrCoffee

Good comms program for SE,SE/30, etc

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find a decent comms program to use with a couple of my 68k Macs. I use to use Red Ryder all the time, and it is the only comms app I can think of.... (ok, I am getting old...).

Does any one have a suggestion on which comm program I might still be able to get ahold of?

Thanks!

MrCoffee, I use MacTerminal and on more contemporary Macs, Clarisworks. It was the original Terminal application for the Mac. In particular I use it for the MacTerminal 1.1 file transfer protocol which keeps the resource fork intact. If I'm not mistaken both Red Ryder and Z-Term were shareware options? If the intent is to use mainly for terminal emulation with PCs, then I doon't know if MacTerminal has any advantages over the others. If you are looking for Mac specific interaction, then MacTerminal & ClarisWorks is far superior. See this for more of my application for MacTerminal: http://www.mac128.com/terminal.html

If you need programmability and macros with System 6 onwards, use ZTerm or Red Ryder. Old Red Ryder versions are available for System 5 and earlier. VersaTerm was a great commercial altenative. White Pines are notable too.

For quick and easy, follow Mac128s advice regarding MacTerminal.

(Still have multiple copies of the various versions of Microphone on original floppies...)

Yeah me too ... I almost forgot about Microphone, as I used it briefly to get onto Lexus Nexus with my Duo 280. In reading about 80's era software, I recall it was quite popular.