Jon183

Macintosh LC very quiet speaker

Hi everyone, just received an LC that has not been recapped or anything like that, appears to be all original. I replaced the leaky TDK supply with a working ASTEC one, cleaned the board, installed a new PRAM battery and system 7.1 onto the HDD.

Everything seems good except when I set volume to loudest, its ultra quiet, even when i plugged in headphones. What could be the problem?

All the old caps were removed safely, board cleaned, ROM's cleaned, will replace caps next week with tantalum on my LC, Classic II and LC475 and retrobrite the LC's. Ill share the final results of all 3 in good time.

Edited by Jon183

Wouldve suspected it was the caps, That Macintosh LC used to be owned by Geelong Grammer school, I was too lazy to swap over the power supply - I suspected it was the PSU but couldn't be bothered with it - good luck with it Jon!
Cheers

AP

I ordered Würth electrolytic caps for the system, I do have aluminium polymer and tantalum for the LC475 but my surface mount soldering isn't too good with my setup at home, so I thought these caps would make it easier. I did purchase solder paste though, im going to try that out for the LC475, if it works out, Ill buy tantalum for my future projects.

Replaced all the caps, forgot the 100uf 6v but I had one anyway, its an aluminium polymer cap. System chimes quite loud now. While it does boot into a floppy, the quantum pro drive probably doesn't work anymore, it was working last week. I will test the machine with a 40mb conner drive.

post-9259-0-42661900-1510878095_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jon183