Dimitris1980

Power Macintosh G3 Minitower Upgrades

I want to replace the power supply of my powermac minitower. I have never ever changed power supply, i read the manual and it says somewhere that you have to release the cables from the tie wraps. Question is, is there a way to do that without cutting the tie wraps or i have to cut them and and then use ones?

No way to undo a tie wrap without cutting them, unless they are the velcro type (and I have no doubt the ones you are talking about are the plastic type). They are intended for "Once-And-Done" use.

Edited by Paralel

On 11/5/2017 at 12:06 PM, Dimitris1980 said:

So i checked my basement and i found that this mac is a power macintosh G3 minitower.

Is it a Blue & White tower or the Beige tower?  I found a nice looking Beige in a thrift shop once and regreat not buying it.  It looked fun to work on and upgrade. Can you find parts in your country?

mraroid

In the old days, before tie wraps, people used waxed string to bundle cables.  It is now a lost art.  The more cables to lace up, the more art.  I have take old audio equipment apart and found lovely lacing of cables inside where the end user would never have see. People who did this had pride in them selves, and pride in the work they did.  You do not necessarily need to use waxed string if you can not find it.  You can dress your wiring with string so it looks nice with out cable ties.

One 'ol timer told me he hated cable ties.  He said that after the cable tie is used, and the end cut off, it leaves something sharp on the tie wrap.  Sticking your hands into a bundle of waxes string cables was smooth and you never cut your self he told me.. 

Just a suggestion.  Take your time and do a nice job.

mraroid

Single cord lacing.jpg

640px-Cable_lacing_close-up_2.jpg

Neat!

I have an old Ampex reel-to-reel tape machine I might do this on when I get around to recapping it, for authenticity (it's pretty simple, though, so it might be superfluous).

I'll probably just use plain string, though.

c

Well, i changed the power supply with spare used one and nothing happened. I do not even hear the startup sound. The machine is now at the basement. There are also some internal parts missing (like the base for the hard drive, i had the hard drive connected in the air). The good news is that i found another Power Macintosh G3 in a great appearance. I tried it with the seller and the machine wasn't showing anything.  I took the risk and i bought it. I took out all the old ram sticks and i installed 1 pc of new ram stick that i had bought recently from OWC and the computer worked. It has G3 at 300mhz, 256mb ram, apple AV personality card, usb/firewire card. I connected also 120gb hard drive, the ATI Radeon 7000 32mb Mac Edition and the Roland MT32. Everything work great, the machine is in great condition. Soon i will buy two more ram sticks in order to have 768mb full ram. And of course if i ever find a sonnet g4 accelerator in a good price, i would try to get it.

Question: I do not know which is faster? My Imac G3 (500mhz, 1gb ram, 16mb ATI video card) or my Power Macintosh G3 (300mhz, 256mb-soon to be 768mb, 32mb ATI Radeon 7000)

I have a plextor dvd drive that reads and writes and i would like to connect it to my g3 in order to have two dvd drives. The one connected now only reads dvds and cds. Is there a technical info that i have to know? What is happening with the cable which is for the direct sound from the cd?

Beige G3s can take standard ATX power supplies (mine is running one right now). There is a jumper that you have to change on the motherboard in order for them to work.

21 minutes ago, NJRoadfan said:

Beige G3s can take standard ATX power supplies (mine is running one right now). There is a jumper that you have to change on the motherboard in order for them to work.

Yes, you just have to make sure the holes line up and the unit fits.

Today I replaced the apple 6x dvd drive with a plextor dvd writer 2004 model which I successfully burned a toast image. My computer is a power Macintosh g3 Minitower 300mhz with zip drive, 120 gb hard drive and ati Radeon 7000 mac edition 32mb vram. I wanted to have both dvd drives but all the ide cables seemed to be  connected to the other devices. What can i do in order to be able to have both dvd drives and the zip drive connected? Where can I find a suitable cd bezel because the plextor hits the original bezel and cannot be come out? And finally can i burn bin/cue images in order to play games with the music directly from cd?

12 hours ago, Dimitris1980 said:

Today I replaced the apple 6x dvd drive with a plextor dvd writer 2004 model which I successfully burned a toast image. My computer is a power Macintosh g3 Minitower 300mhz with zip drive, 120 gb hard drive and ati Radeon 7000 mac edition 32mb vram. I wanted to have both dvd drives but all the ide cables seemed to be  connected to the other devices. What can i do in order to be able to have both dvd drives and the zip drive connected? Where can I find a suitable cd bezel because the plextor hits the original bezel and cannot be come out? And finally can i burn bin/cue images in order to play games with the music directly from cd?

Remove the optical drive faceplate from the tray.

If I'm remembering correctly, the typical configuration is for the optical and Zip drives share an IDE channel in the Beige G3.

You'll need to put in a card if you want to have two optical drives and a Zip drive in the machine.

Otherwise, if you used an IDE/SATA/SCSI card for your storage, you should be able to use the cabling originally meant for the stock hard drive for another optical drive. You might need to find and insert a longer IDE cable, however, since I believe the IDE cables enter the top/hinged part of the case at the top, and I am making the presumption that your DVD drive is at the bottom part of there.

I don't believe Toast can burn bin/cue images, you'll probably need ot burn those on a modern computer with the appropriate tools.

Sure you can, just pay attention to master/slave/cable select jumpers on the drive(s).

To add to what Cory said:  Rev 1 ROMs in these things do not support two IDE drives per channel.  Rev 3 does for sure, I think Rev 2 does but not sure anymore.  If you can find a Rev 3 ROM SIMM, you can use up to 4 IDE devices in your G3 without a PCI IDE controller.  It's a super easy fix but finding the part these days might be harder than it was 15 years ago when I built mine... 

2 hours ago, Brett B. said:

Sure you can, just pay attention to master/slave/cable select jumpers on the drive(s).

To add to what Cory said:  Rev 1 ROMs in these things do not support two IDE drives per channel.  Rev 3 does for sure, I think Rev 2 does but not sure anymore.  If you can find a Rev 3 ROM SIMM, you can use up to 4 IDE devices in your G3 without a PCI IDE controller.  It's a super easy fix but finding the part these days might be harder than it was 15 years ago when I built mine... 

Yep, rev. 2 and rev. 3 or more commonly, Rev. B and Rev. C ROM both support slave drives on the IDE busses.   I doubt that it matters if one mixes optical and hard drives on the same IDE cable.  The IDE support in those machines is only 16 MB/s.   And the hard drives that shipped with them were even slower.   

So, if one has a stock hard drive, one can get a decent speed up just by installing a  more modern drive that will take full advantage of the 16 MB/s IDE bus.    Add an ATA-133 card and a drive that can keep up with it (realistically, I bet the CPU can't serve better than about 60 MB/s)  and the speed boost will be even more substantial.

Forgot to look the other night - found what I was looking for today but it's not what you are after. It's a bezel for 3.5" devices, not 5.25" ones unfortunately. Great for a Zip, Jaz or tape but not a CDROM...

Yes, that's just the machine going through the RAM test.  Only happens on a cold boot and you can disable it in the Memory Control Panel if you hold down Command and Option and then open the panel.  You'll end up with something similar to this screenshot:

extended-mem-ctl-panel.jpg.735af130543fd933092baf4d6174af9e.jpg