Bolle

Bolles finds

Pro Tools is an interesting beast.

I've gotten somewhat adjusted to it's quirks on modern systems, but I'd love to set up an old TDM system like @Bolle is attempting, if only to say, "because I can". I'm not sure how useful it would be vs a modern system (plus 99.99999% of my effects plugins wouldn't work *at all*).

Unfortunately, all the necessary hardware (cards, AD/DA converters, etc) for these systems seems to be rather hard to find.

c

If I ever get this to work I will write a more in depth how-to kind of thing.

It looks like there are options to gain multiple authentications out of one working auth floppy by imaging the hard drive containing your fully authenticated setup, de-authenticating it to get the token back onto the floppy and then rolling back your image.

Sharing the authenticated image containing the full setup should be possible then as well. Discussions about that have been going on on MacOS9lives but stagnated at the point where it comes to those images actually being shared ;)

I am probably never doing anything really useful on that system as all our recording/production needs are fulfilled by modern hardware.

Have you looked for a crack for the hardware/software?  I don't know what the laws are like in the EU, but here in the US there's an exemption to our copyright laws that lets you circumvent hardware dongles on older hardware & software if the company no longer actively sells/supports it.  So there may be a dongle emulator or crack for the software that will let you use the additional hardware.

Just came back from a trip picking up a major haul. The lot did just about fit into my car:

car1.thumb.jpg.df434ed7aa38ca6f6c66f27e239adf3d.jpgcar2.thumb.jpg.66aa327fdb54631428769989ce45cdf0.jpg

Included are:

-2xPlus

-SE

-SE/30

-SE/30 with SE guts

-SE/30 missing logicboard

-Mac II with IIfx board

-Quadra 950

-Power Mac 7100

-Power Mac 8100

-Power mac 9500

-3xG3 DT

-iMac Rev A

-G3 B/W

-G4 Digital Audio with dual CPU card - missing PSU

-boxes with misc. stuff, mice, keyboards, cables, CDs...

It's getting crowded in my office...

office.thumb.jpg.bda8316d400b0848992881d0b1dd2102.jpg

office2.thumb.jpg.8d5494e412e774c56dfad0e385084714.jpg

I quickly went through all of them yesterday in the evening removing all batteries and looking for obvious points of failure.

The Powermacs, iMac and SE Quadra seem to work fine.

One Plus chimes but screen stays dark, the other one has a burned deflection coil connector on the analog board.

The II(fx) got hit by the Maxell plague:

battery.thumb.jpg.d742394cb55cc9e9730b011125f232f0.jpg

Already started cleaning it up and it does not look too bad... the serial PIC, its SRAM and the SCC are gone. The RTC/PRAM also does not look too good.

I can live without the serial ports, I'll see what it does when powered on after completely cleaning it.

Edited by Bolle

NIce finds.  Maxell, more like Maxhell.  I guess it is not surprising that a media company doesn't know how to make batteries, if they even actually made them to start with vs relabel some cheap crap.

Got that Maxell mess cleaned up.

5CeoSNj.jpg

Board does not want to turn on with the original PSU and jumpstarting so I wired up an ATX PSU and forced it to turn on and the board does at least chime.

With no RAM installed it just sits there after chiming, I guess the onboard cache is enough to pass basic POST but it stalls afterwards. The connectors on RAM bank A are corroded and putting in RAM there results in slow death chimes (is this a sign that it can't access RAM on all II-series? Only know the SE/30 does slow chimes with RAM issues)

If I put RAM in bank B it chimes and I think it passes the RAM check afterwards - getting a slight pop from the speaker which I heard before on a lot of boards after they passed the RAM check.

Does the IIfx work with only bank B populated? Would safe me the hassle of swapping sockets from bank B to bank A for now.

The SE/30s had nice video cards in them. I got one of those Formac cards already earlier this year with another SE/30.

vlYGvsz.jpg

Nice haul! For the RAM slots on the IIfx, try spraying some Deoxit D5 on them. Same with those corroded pads/joints/etc. in that photo. I'd say probably also worth it to reflow all the joints in the affected area, though I'd do that after the Deoxit.

Can't stand having Macs in stock configuration, so I got this little thing for the Mac Plus:

IMG_6988.thumb.jpg.2af1b80dd4a1b393fc939d45ea121153.jpg

How do I go about installing this little bugger? Just solder headers to the 68000 on the logicboard and sockets to the accelerator and plug it in?

Can I completely remove the 68000 to save some space and make logicboard installation easier?

Anyone has any idea what exactly this thing is? Searching for the obvious doesn't turn up any useful information.

One of the jumpers is for selecting if it is installed in a Plus or SE.  The other jumper has one pin connected to GND and two pins going to inputs of one of the GALs.

Dove was a pretty prolific producer of Mac enhancements. Normally those just clip down onto the stock processor. Not the greatest design in the world; they were sensitive to shock and prone to corrosion at the processor pins. Maybe slather on some electronics-grade corrosion inhibitor before installing.

5 hours ago, Franklinstein said:

Normally those just clip down onto the stock processor.

That's what I figured. Missing that clip though, so have to solder it down somehow.

If the adapter is gone and you don't mind a permanent mod, there isn't anything that would keep you from removing the 68000 and installing a socket or directly soldering the card into place. I'd go with the socket, myself.

Went for one of the spare SE boards to test if this thing actually works at all before I solder a socket to my only Plus board:

IMG_7018.thumb.jpg.6688602493455362f6b0ec0f462f0ad6.jpg

IMG_7019.thumb.jpg.dd9ecdf86c537d3b0058450b9e84c199.jpg

Works like a charm. Cool thing about using it in the SE is that the expansion slot stays unoccupied... :evil:

So I might as well go full sandwich on that one and keep the Plus stock for now (or move my other SE upgrade into the Plus, it has mounting points for a 68000 clip on socket type thing as well)

IMG_7020.thumb.jpg.9aa288fd9cc3142bb2d41f6b48a45e85.jpg

It does work, but wont fit the case that way. Going to have to get a right angle plug for the PDS and use a modern SE chassis with the SE/30 style expansion card cutout.

Sweetness! You are definitely a madman with mad skills, if not entirely insane my friend. :approve:

Question came up recently as to whether these upgrades can run without the the 68000 on the logic board, similar to the way the SE/30 runs with an empty CPU socket when the PowerCache it installed. WAG would be that the INIT/Driver needs to run on the Mac's CPU at startup to enable the upgrade to function, but  .  .  .  :huh:

Well, if it is capable of intercepting and issuing the proper commands on the CPU bus, it seems logical to assume that whatever computer you put it in (provided it's compatible) should work fine with its stock CPU removed.

Such would seem to be true, at least in this case.

c

Bolle soldered headers to the SE's 68000 to test the board, so that's not been proven to be the case so far.

The PDS PowerCache yanks a line to disable the native 68030 when both come on line. The socketed version doesn't need to do that. Both are the processor type the ROMs are set up to support. 68030 in the 68000 socket is not necessarily the same case even if it has a the equivalent of CPUDIS or the like. The ROM may need to be patched to support the newer processor  .  .  .  or not.

Waiting to see what the Wizard of Wetzlar has to say about it.

23 hours ago, Bolle said:

IMG_7020.thumb.jpg.9aa288fd9cc3142bb2d41f6b48a45e85.jpg

It does work, but wont fit the case that way. Going to have to get a right angle plug for the PDS and use a modern SE chassis with the SE/30 style expansion card cutout. 

SE's the perfect place for that stack if you have an extra chassis from any compact. You can almost entirely remove the floorboard and still keep it functional. I've already done that, but to build an AtomicZipMacPlus IIRC.

Nibble away what you need to for the vertical slot and your stack, Then build a frame to install the FDD in the upper slot. That clears all kinds of cubic for the Pagoda and can be done in a config enhancing original structural integrity.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini