Photo

I want to buy this 4 MB RAM for apple //gs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 xboxown

xboxown

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

I just need to understand the proper installation https://console5.com...allGuide_v2.pdf. When in the document it says the arrow toward the front of the apple //gs like here "Observe the correct alignment of the board when inserting into the slot. The arrow marked with „Front“ ❶must be facing toward the front of the Apple® IIgs." Does that mean the chips are looking at the power supply?

#2 Gorgonops

Gorgonops
  • Moderators

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:46 PM

Does that orientation have the arrow pointing at the front of the computer? Seems pretty straightforward.

#3 xboxown

xboxown

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:56 PM

I am just scared! Terrified! My apple //gs is my baby, I love her and I AM THOROUGHLY enjoying her!! Every day I play hours on it! I can't picture me damaging her. So I am being extra caution because I don't trust myself!

#4 Gorgonops

Gorgonops
  • Moderators

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:14 PM

Well, if you're absolutely certain you can't be trusted to follow the arrow you could try this card:

https://www.ebay.com...S-/401095297373

That's the one I have and, though I could be wrong because I'm too lazy to pull out my IIgs to look, I *think* the "tail" that faces towards the back of the computer is long enough you wouldn't be able to physically close the case if you stuck it in backwards.

But, seriously, it has an arrow on it. Here, I'll say it: I believe in you and your ability to identify which side of your IIgs is the "front".

#5 xboxown

xboxown

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:41 PM

Nope! I have zero trust on myself! Sorry! I will go with the eBay auction instead. If it prevents me from being a moron and installing it the wrong way then so be it! 

Thanks for the link!

By the way, is it possible you can take a picture of how your RAM looks like installed in your computer? I will use that as the manual guiide

Edited by xboxown, 23 October 2017 - 10:48 PM.

#6 Juror22

Juror22
  • LocationCentral Illinois

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:04 AM

Does that mean the chips are looking at the power supply?

Yes.

With the location of the memory slot (front right of the IIGS with the computer facing you) and the location of the arrow on the board (chip side) it is inserted into the memory slot with the chips facing the power supply.

If you have decided to go another route, then the explanation is moot, but I needed to answer the question.

Edited by Juror22, 24 October 2017 - 01:08 AM.

The macs are winning...

#7 xboxown

xboxown

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:54 AM

PERFECT! THAT IS ALL I needed to know. I will buy the one with the arrow only because it have an LED light that will light up when the apple //gs powers up which is hot and second it seems dirt cheap for a 4 MB RAM solution which is all I ever need in an apple //gs anyways. 8 MB is just plain overkill to be honest. What I will do is place the card on the table standing still as if it is inserted into the slot of the machine then I will take pictures in all sides and do final confirmation if that is correct. When I get the green light, I will insert it into the apple //gs just the way I showed it in the picture and power her up!

I should enjoy her then! In two weeks time I am ordering the card officially!

Thank you guys for all the help!

#8 olePigeon

olePigeon
  • 68LC040

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:03 PM

Not to throw a monkey in your purchasing decision, but I'm planning on getting one of these the moment they're back in stock:

http://www.a2heaven....&product_id=143

#9 xboxown

xboxown

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:26 PM

Not to throw a monkey in your purchasing decision, but I'm planning on getting one of these the moment they're back in stock:

http://www.a2heaven....&product_id=143

@_@

YOU SOLD ME!!!

IT EVEN HAVE PICTURE SHOWING HOW IT IS INSTALLED!

I AM IN! I AM IN! I AM IN! AHAHAHAHA I AM IN! AHAHAHAHAHAHHA

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 Gorgonops

Gorgonops
  • Moderators

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

Whatever works for you, then. It really does seem to me that you're *vastly* overthinking this problem. With some of these cards you'd actually have some difficulty installing them the wrong way because the RAM slot is *pretty darn close* to the edge of the case, to the point that the jumper blocks/etc sticking up on them would be *very* close to hitting the RF shield. (The A2Heaven card might not fit at all thanks to the ROM piggyback board.)

Here's what the GGlabs board looks like installed, with the original Apple card for comparison:

RAMGS.jpg

I was right, the tail would catch on the case if you absolutely insisted on trying to plug it in backwards. Obviously the original cards don't pose any risk of reverse insertion either.

#11 Gorgonops

Gorgonops
  • Moderators

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

it seems dirt cheap for a 4 MB RAM solution which is all I ever need in an apple //gs anyways

Also, just thought I'd mention that when I bought the GGlabs card they were having an half-off sale; at $40 it seemed like a pretty good deal. At $60 I probably would have been inclined to at least look at some of the 8MB cards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users