Sign in to follow this  
Jon183

A1082 Cinema Display, is price worth it?

Hi everyone,

Im thinking of buying the A1082 for cinema display for my G5, it will cost $80 with power ($64.50 US), is it worth it? It does seem like a nice monitor. 

Edited by Jon183

Yes - they're good monitors, and a perfect G5 match. Shortcomings are that they're quite thick/heavy, and not nearly as bright as current HD panels (which you'd have to expect being quite old tech).

What is the deal with those external power supplies? Seems like most monitors come without them so they must break easy?

I totaled the price to $80au which is $70au now since seller thought it was 24" instead of 23". Im getting a 24v 100w psu for $20 and splitting power wires instead of paying more than the monitor its self.

I had two of those monitors. One died, the other still works but it's on its second power supply. (Blown power supplies were a depressingly common problem with these, and they're also prone to issues with the control/usb hub board.) I'll say honestly that for their time they were really nice monitors, but just keep in mind that at this point they're old enough we're getting to the far end of the bathtub curve. $70 frankly seems a little steep.

These monitors used CCFL backlighting so how good it's going to look is going to depend crucially on how many miles it has on it. Replacing the backlights is far from trivial and will almost certainly cost more than it's worth.

Hopefully it will be ok, if not, would replacing the backlighting with a different type be reasonable?

You can replace the CCFL tube - buy a set of 2 incase you break one off ebay for under $10 - you need to be handy with soldering iron tho - I did that for PowerBook G3 and made huge difference. Im also considering LED upgrade as well.

Cheers

AP

Cheap LED lighting power supplies can be used, and work just fine. A little wiring hackery is needed, but if I can do it, anyone can. So you don't necessarily need to shell out for one of those white bricks.

Details readily available via your favourite search engine.

LED backlight conversion kits are a thing that eBay is full of these days, so, sure, it's probably doable. (Those monitors are a bear to take apart, though, just like anything else Apple since 2001.) Of course, reading up on them a significant problem with these conversions is the spectrum from LED lights differs significantly from the original CCFLs, so in all likelihood the monitor's color calibration is going to be irrevocably blown. Probably not a big deal for casual use, but still something to think about if you're considering buying the monitor for any sort of "production" use. If you just want it because you want a matching monitor for a G5 that's a "collector's item" then, sure, not a big deal.

I figured people wanted them to match a G5 just like I wanted an Apple display to match my G4's. Any new LED LCD will be better then a 10 year old CCFL one just like any new PC will be better then a 10 year old one, but collectors will collect.

One thing I will say is now that I know they're such a "thing" I'm actually considering getting one of the conversion kits to try retrofitting this old 1600x1200 NEC Multisync LCD I picked out of the trash a while back that has utterly spent CCFLs. It appears it's a model that can actually do NTSC frequencies, which would make it useful for retro stuffs.

I am just talking about a power supply, rather than any LED conversion of the monitor per se, so I can't imagine why this would impact on colours. Here's the link that got me going: http://pixelchimp.net/blog/pixel-chimp/replacement-power-supply-apple-cinema-display .

My new ps is smaller than the one used there, cost something like $15, and involved less wire cutting, as I reused wiring from the dead Apple ps that came with the monitor. So I have no tape and the lead from the screen to the ps is still intact in my hack. The little board to the left came out of the dead Apple ps, and I just plug the Cinema Display into it. The lower set of wires go to the wall socket.

I think all I needed was to confirm in the specs that the new supply supplied sufficient power for the 23" display in use.

Came from eBay/China. Doesn't everything?

My ps:

post-62-0-07356700-1505219530_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-52342100-1505219553_thumb.jpg

Edited by beachycove

I wont be needing a replacement part for who knows how long, I connected monitor positive to pin 1 and 2 and negative pin 11 and 12 to my powermac g5 ADC connector and plugged display into DVI and the display looked good with os x leopard.

Edited by Jon183

A plan of mine for a long term solution is to convert the end of the old PSU cable to a female DC jack so I can just use a normal 24v 4a brick

After a month, the supply arrived from china, I got a brick that a laptop would use, 24v 4a, it was $12 AUD and looks shifty, but the monitor is real bright, I decided to just solder the red to red and black to black instead of putting a DC jack on the monitor side. It would of been a wiser idea to solder on a female jack to the monitor power cable but I can do that when the supply fails.

Supply can be seen under right side of monitor. Keyboard is plugged into monitor USB port.

post-9259-0-23784900-1507711749_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jon183

Its been a while. I uploaded the last photo on oct 11 but I had the monitor in use since the 5th probably. Here it is now, still reliable with the $14AUD 24v 4a cheap charger from China.

20171204_105013.jpg

20171204_105428.jpg