A little over a year ago, I got a freebie from my dad...a mint condition (aside from some yellowing) IIGS, complete with a monitor, keyboard, mouse, 3.5" drive, 5.25" drive, and all the original manuals. It had the original disks, too, plus the packing list!! (Basically, it was only missing a box; even the plastic bag around the coiled part of the ADB cable on the keyboard was intact). Print Shop IIGS was also there.
It's a later model 1MB IIGS, presumably ROM 03.
It's sat for a good while, as in a year. I thought of selling it, as I really had no purpose for the little machine, but now that I've sold off a few other Macs and never posted the IIGS for sale, I made the decision to hold on to it and play around with it!!
I have a IIe already and also have a IIe card in my LC; I started out on an Apple IIe in the late 80s so I am familiar with the platform, but my exposure to the IIGS came mostly at the office of a doctor who I absolutely hated as a kid!! He was the intimidating sort, but if you could get on his good side for the day, he may let you play a few minute of Montezuma's Revenge. (I actually bought a copy of that game a few weeks ago to play on my LC...)
My questions are as follows, now that I have decided to let a IIGS into my life...
1. What does everyone recommend in terms of software to play around with on here? The only IIGS-specific program I have at the moment is Print Shop.
2. I heard about a newly-released system for the IIGS, is it worth installing?
3. Can I hook this to a network to use an AppleTalk ImageWriter? I know the IIGS can use AppleTalk as a protocol as per the manual, which I read during a break today, but what would I need software-wise to get that printer to work?
4. What does everyone recommend for a hard drive on here? The manual had a lot of pictures of IIGSs connected to the old 20SC drives, presumably through a SCSI card (which I'd need to find for mine). I've got a spare enclosure somewhere but could I install anything internally?
5. Would anything need re-capped on one of these over time? It works fine and doesn't seem to have any capacitor failure odor. (Compare that to my Zoom router/modem, which has that stench after just four years...)
My only dilemma is where to set it up, I'm sort of out of space at my place!! Guess it's an excuse to go to Ikea