ants

Adding Wi-Fi to my Mac SE/30

Thanks so much for the link jhorvath911. I've been painstakingly teaching myself write classic 68k apps over the last few months. I've finally got some basic HTTP communication happening using the Open Transport libraries, but a long way off having something as polished as what bbraun has achieved.

Cheers.

This is very nice! great size, and works as a proper bridge- (unlikely) but is there any support for WPA2-Ent in the module? The data sheet doesn't seem to indicate.

I've been painstakingly teaching myself write classic 68k apps over the last few months. I've finally got some basic HTTP communication happening using the Open Transport libraries, but a long way off having something as polished as what bbraun has achieved.

Sweet, keep on trucking! ;)  bbraun does software development for a living, but he's dropped out of the stone age Mac game and is much missed in the community.

Great project! I've been looking for a module like that myself just to bridge the vintage computers from their local switch to the wifi router. I'm currently using a raspberry pi with a wifi dongle, but it's a bit overkill and unreliable.

bbraun does software development for a living, but he's dropped out of the stone age Mac game and is much missed in the community.

Why? What happened? I'm still looking at his website from time to time to see if he have anything new 68k related in the works, but it seems pretty quiet these days xx(

Missed this one, bbraun said he's fine the last time I emailed him, it seems things IRL have taken up his 68K playtime or some such.

I'm still in awe of this one, ants! I'm wondering if you have a notion about how well this card would work with an antenna made to surround a PowerBook LCD? Gotta get my hands on a very small, low power AAUI transceiver. Having the WiFi antenna goiter on a PCMCIA NIC sticking out the side of my 190/5300c/ce ProjectBooks is really annoying. [}:)]]'>

edit: just emailed him again. Mac68k appears to have gone the way of the waybackmachine. [:(]]'>

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

Trash80toHP_Mini I think you could fashion an antenna out of some copper wire, copper sheet or something similar. Even when there is no antenna plugged into the wifi module, it still gets reception (when out in the open air and not inside my Mac).

I've seen a heap of AAUI transceivers on eBay that look pretty small - I think they come from Hong Kong.

In other news, progress has been made with my software attempts. I discovered the Retro68 cross-compiler by Wolfgang Thaller, and I was able to get it running on Windows 10 with just a few modifications. Now I can write and compile 68k Mac apps on my ThinkPad!

I've created a few small projects so far on GitHub, but the coolest thing is that I've managed to port a TLS 1.2 library to 68k Mac, which allows HTTPS communication with virtually any modern web server (e.g. GMail!).

Slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

Edited by ants

Just call me Trash or jt, the username is a handful! [:)]]'>

That's good to hear. I've got a 12inPartsBookG4 that has an antenna I can snag that should probably fit pretty well in the 150, 190 or 5300ce. I'd need the transceiver to pull AAUI off  the 16bit VidCard/NIC combo's PCB internally in either of the latter two. I've got a MicroEN/SC for inside the 150 if I go in that direction.

Thanks for leading the way, fabulous hacks! :approve:

Just ordered the ThickNet Transceiver and made an offer on the WiFi Card for my SE/30. But I may need to see if I can get the 100bT card up and running in the pet IIfx with the VONETS card as well, thanks for leading the way! [:D]]'>

On 10/5/2017 at 12:48 AM, defor said:

This is very nice! great size, and works as a proper bridge- (unlikely) but is there any support for WPA2-Ent in the module? The data sheet doesn't seem to indicate.

Sorry I missed this reply - I checked the web interface on the Wifi module, but alas there is no WPA2-Enterprise support.

I received one of those VM 300 module, but spent most of this morning trying to find my own SSID, many were available in the panel, but not mine.

A post online advised that channel should be in the 1-11 range, mine was on 7 but was not present, until i set channel to 11.

posting with it right now, can be useful for users having the very same problem.

I have made some tests yesterday, connected to my powerbook 3400.

Using one of those Portable cell power banks got me online right away.

Many sites are not able to cope with old browsers, but i was able to surf a bit and even download some files.

i have modified this morning the card to accept a Molex plug, so almost ready for the SE/30.

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

Great to see you got it working. I love the theme on your powerbook - what do you use to do that?!

FYI for everyone following this thread, you can also use an OpenWRT based router such as the GL-iNet AR300M. It's a little bit more work to set up, but these routers are faster, more robust and more flexible than the Vonets.

More info on setting up an OpenWRT router can be found here: https://github.com/antscode/MacWifi

Also, the MacWifi system extension is also available for download here: https://github.com/antscode/MacWifi/releases. This extension adds a Wifi menu to System 7 so that you can connect to networks directly from your Mac:

wifi-v2-1.PNG.d5293386eda2009155f50c4f33abeb42.PNG.7b85f55a237074bcdcc033a0263f3d39.PNG

2 hours ago, ants said:

but these routers are faster, more robust and more flexible than the Vonets

Thanks for your work :) When you say the other is more robust, does that mean the Vonets will loose connection to the router more often or otherwise be less reliable?

Bigmessowires started a thread that turned into a listing/history/roadmap to Macintosh Technical Tomes by Apple from Addison-Wesley.

Much has become available in PDF over the last seven years. Designing_Cards_and_Drivers_for_the_Macintosh_Family_2ed_May90 has the specs that you need and a source for it at the Macintosh Repository is linked at near the end.

Don't expect the PDF of the plate to be to scale, but you can usually open any given page in Illustrator to check it to use as is or as a template.

2 hours ago, Edge Connector said:

I'm looking for the PDF template for the bracket and can't seem to find it. Can someone give me a pointer?

Sorry I forgot to attach it to my original post. Below is a link to download the template for the Wifi Antenna Bracket (I couldn't upload it to this thread for some reason):

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ak8iQs7xV3NBkbEo7qfAaEldnq4agQ