Sign in to follow this  
mf-2hd

Radius Video Vision

Hi,

I´m trying to understand how my Radius Video Vision nubus card works that I put it into a PM8100/100.

My main monitor is an Apple 16“ display and its connected to the onboard graphic card. I´m using a lcd monitor as second display. It´s set to 640x480, color millions. 

But when I capture video via S-Video the quality is extremely bad. The picture is grainy and it looks as if it´s only on 256 colors (monitor control panel is on millions of colors). 

Do I have to hook a TV to the breakout box? Or is it how it looked these days?

Thx

Ralf

post-2879-0-24327800-1503041847_thumb.jpg

Edited by mf-2hd

It´s 7.5. But I tried 7.6, 7.6.1 and even 9.1 (doesn't work;-).

Software is Video Vision 2.51. I also tried 2.0. 

But it always looks the same.

Edited by mf-2hd

The usual limiting factor for the VVS is the hard drive speed.   Do you have a JackHammer or mumble (SEIV? Silicon Express IV?) card with a fast (modernish) SCSI drive?  

I think the internal 10 MB/s bus might be good enough, but again, you need a not too old drive on it to get decent performance.   That may not be causing your issue, but it's all I can remember.

Connect the VV card to the 16" CRT, use the LCD as the main monitor connected to the computer. Run the VV monitor at 640x480 full screen.

Do you have the original Videovision that came without the extra daughter boards?

My 16" monitor doesn´t run on 640x480. The screen is completely garbled at this resolution. It only displays something on the next higher one. Looks as if it runs on a synchronization frequency to high...

And yes, I have the original Videovision with both daughter cards. Btw. is there a SCSI connector on the card?

Edited by mf-2hd

My VideoVision Studio is pretty fickle. You will have much better luck selecting resolutions at the startup of the Mac using the "T" key. Just hold it down when the Radius logo shows up. Changing the resolution from within Mac OS has always caused garbling for me. I could never get mine to work on a 110mhz PowerPC 601.

Scratch what I said a day ago. It works great in my Radius 81/110. System software voodoo stopped it from working right for me. The stock System 7.5.1 image from Radius is the newest version of the Mac OS that I can get working with the Video Vision Studio. The internal SCSI bus is fast enough for recording at 30fps using the Studio compressor, 3.8MB/s recording speed.

Anything higher seems to introduce problems. Radius never supported Systems 7.5.3-7.6.1. They announced they were going to focus on OS 8 support and then went under before the new drivers could be finished.

If your having problems, reinstall the system software and only install the Radius drivers and associated multimedia software. See if it works right then.

Edited by IIfx