Sign in to follow this  
Trash80toHP_Mini

1920x1200@24bit on G4 under OS9: available options?

Looking to upgrade my 1600x1200 primary display for Win/Linux and my QS'02/OS9.2.2 primary workstation. Adding a few inches onto the left side of the 20" UltraSync to gain 320 more pixels seems a worthwhile endeavor.

Is there anything in QS or MDD AGP flavors that supports 1920x1200? Are any later rev. AGP cards backwards compatible, capable of running on slower, older AGP infrastructures?

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

OEM GeForce Ti4600 is a good candidate and it supports high resolutions. Mine runs natively at 1920x1200 on a Samsung 26" display. It is generally the best card for OS9.

Another good card, but with limited OS 9 support was the Radeon 9600 Mac/PC Edition, but I have not used one in years, so it is all a little fuzzy. 

Another good bet is the Radeon 9200 Mac Edition AGP. It's well supported in 9.2.2 and definitely supports 1920x1200 output over DVI or VGA: https://web.archive.org/web/20070221042506/http://ati.amd.com:80/products/radeon9200/radeon9200me/specs.html

As for using AGP 8x cards in earlier slots, Apple used some pins (3 and 11) that were unutilized in the 2x and 4x standards to supply power for ADC monitors. These pins were utilized with AGP 8x, so Apple's earlier slot breaks compatibility with 8x cards. A solution is to mask or remove those pins on AGP 8x cards. See this compatibility chart and the "pins 3 and 11" page linked at the bottom. Do note that Mac Edition cards intended for AGP 2x/4x Macs already take this into account, and other AGP 4x cards are unaffected as those pins are unused.

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/compatibility

The 9200 in AGP form was a modified card, so a little hackery is needed. It is a solid card. I have quite a few PCI version for use in pre-AGP Macs. 

Literally any PCI or AGP video card that is a 16-meg Rage128 or newer should be able to do this. 1920x1200 was a supported mode in the Rage128 hardware and even on the 8-meg models for PCs you can do 24-bit color at that res.

This should be doable in OS 9 on the stock graphics of any newworld power macintosh.

Great! I'm using a 64MB GeFprce4MX in dual head right now, but it knows my display maxes out at 1600x1200, so I can't see any higher resolutions listed that it might support. Maybe it'll do just fine.

I think I'll look around for an OEM GeForce Ti4600 for setting up the backup MDD, thanks, O!

Looks like it'll do the job and 1920x1440 as well on the famed Sony FW900 (widescreen) CRT monitor.

Comparison Tests: Radeon 7500 vs GeForce4MX

everymac lists native optimum resolution at 1920x1200 for all the G4s back to what looks like later AGP models?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_capability/macs-by-native-optimum-maximum-resolution.html

everymac on the 2003 OS9 MDD Special Edition:

*By default, this model has an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro graphics card with 64 MB of DDR SDRAM. It also could be configured at the time of purchase with a NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti graphics card with 128 MB of DDR SDRAM. The video card occupies a 4X AGP slot.

Standard VRAM: 64 MB Maximum VRAM: 64 MB*

Display Support: Dual Displays Resolution Support: 1920x1200*

2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring 2nd Max. Resolution: 1920x1200*

Details: *Apple reports that the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro is capable of simultanously supporting dual displays (one using the ADC port and another using the DVI port -- DVI to VGA adpater also included). 1920x1200 maximum for digital displays and 1600x1200 maximum for analog.
Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

egads! 2560 x 1440 resolution (2K Quad HD) on a 25" UltraSharp!!! 8-o

If I can find a G4 card to drive one under OS9 I could go back to using a single display  .  .  .

.  .  .  or not. :-/

If you are willing to do some hacking of a GeForce 6600: http://themacelite.wikidot.com/6600agpyou can get Dual Link DVI, but there are trade off like the loss of QuickDraw acceleration. 

For a while I thought about trying it as I had done many GTX 680 Rom to EFI, but OS9 is not the best OS when all the text is oh so tiny. YMMV

If you are willing to do some hacking of a GeForce 6600: http://themacelite.wikidot.com/6600agpyou can get Dual Link DVI, but there are trade off like the loss of QuickDraw acceleration.

Losing QA is never gonna happen. 2K is overreaching for my OS9 Bubble anyway. Per you txt size comment, I can't really go there without moving onto panel diagonals that won't work in the space available, much less allow for the second panel required for me to work from information displayed on different platforms simultaneously.

Gaining exactly 20% more screen real estate while keeping the vertical pixel count constant seems perfect. Never realized 192's relationship with 16 and 12, display standards make more sense to me now, 1080p not withstanding.

NVDIA GeForce4MX/64MB just got its act together in the QS'02 under 9.2.2!

I've got a 1600 + 1920 x 1200 extended desktop up and running at 24-bit off this single card! [:)]

Dunno what I was doing wrong with it in the previous incarnation of my setup, the card ran 1600x1200@24-bit off VGA, but I could only get it to support 1280x1024@24-bit off the DVI adapter connection.

Running the 24" monster off the same DVI adapter in 1920x1200@24-bit and the little 20" LCD in 1600x1200@24bit off the VGA port.

Next to see what the Voodoo3 in the Dell '98 box will do on the KVM'd 20 incher. ATM it wants to set up a USB hub and nothing else. PS/2 peripherals to the rescue at some point. Gotta ger 'er up and running off the KVM with the other two. One port left over for the Pavilion DM1, HP_Mini or a USB compliant Retro-Mac!

< wonders how BigTomata's USB->ADB toy might work? :ph34r: >