Sign in to follow this  
johnsonfromwisconsin

Trying to get an LCD to work with a Mac IIci

I have a NEC 1700V and a KDS/Radius RAD-5

I have a couple adapters, one with ten switches and one with nine switches and a wheel.  

I am trying to use the internal video and an Apple Display Card 670.

Anyone know of good combinations to try?  

one question I have is, when the right combination of switches on the adapter are chosen, will the monitor light up or must a reboot happen before the mac will detect it?

Thanks

RAD-5 should work just fine, they're built for quirky early Mac resolution/refresh rate compatibility.

What's the native resolution again? 800x600? I've been playing with the RAD-7s so long I've forgotten.

Sweet you have one of those wheel switches, those are fantastic!

I would start with 640x480 @ 67Hz. That should be like mac 13 or something on your adaptor. As trash pointed out the KDS RAD-5 should work just fine. I have a Dell ultrasharp 2007FP that I use with my old macs, it has 1600x1200 resolution, but it plays nicely in MultiSync mode with my macs.

I think some cards will only check the sense lines upon a reboot, while others don't care if you swap it out while running.

If nobody has a link it I'll scan and post it in my adapter thread in Peripherals. Boils down to:

IIci supports  N. J, O - 12" RGB, Mac HiRes***** and Portrait respectively. Use the Monitors Control Panel when it works and shutdown, reset, reboot when it doesn't.

Basically, IIci onboard video = crapdoodle

What else is your Apple Card called, can't find it in the Gamba2 matrix?

Found it: 1990/Macintosh Display Card 8-24 was the first Apple NuBus Vidcard that wasn't worse than crap-doodle

*****a misnomer if ever there was one, Radius TPD et al had been out on Compact Mac how long before Apple used this marketing ploy?

If nobody has a link it I'll scan and post it in my adapter thread in Peripherals. Boils down to:

IIci supports  N. J, O - 12" RGB, Mac HiRes***** and Portrait respectively. Use the Monitors Control Panel when it works and shutdown, reset, reboot when it doesn't.

Basically, IIci onboard video = crapdoodle

What else is your Apple Card called, can't find it in the Gamba2 matrix?

Found it: 1990/Macintosh Display Card 8-24 was the first Apple NuBus Vidcard that wasn't worse than crap-doodle

*****a misnomer if ever there was one, Radius TPD et al had been out on Compact Mac how long before Apple used this marketing ploy?

I would certainly appreciate the scan if you are able.  I cannot seem to find it through google

Also, what does "N. J, O" mean?

Its not just the resolution, you need to get a refresh rate the monitor can use.

I have an old PCI CAD card that is supposed to do 1080p but the LCD goes wonky/blank when I try it, works at 1600x1200 and other lower resolutions.

That's what's so great about KDS-Radius LCDs like his RAD-15 They're purpose built to support the oddball "flicker free" resolution/scan rates of early Mac video. Some have vestigial cutouts for unimplemented DA-15 connectors.

I'm glad I scanned that "manual" because it lists both vertical and horizontal frequencies of resolutions supported.

Great! What resolution are you running on that combo? What's the native resolution of that NEC panel?

Native Resolution is 1024 x 768 and I am running it at that @256 colors on the Quadra.  

Text is a little soft, but colors are very bright.  looks great!