My First Quadra

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 Trash80toHP_Mini

Trash80toHP_Mini

NIGHT STALKER

• LocationBermuda Triangle, NC, USA

Posted Yesterday, 04:01 AM

The Quadra 630 came first and its form factor and case design are right on as I see it. It came at a time when 17" CRTs were standard for business use and its metal chassis could support monitors well beyond what the injection molded cases of the Macs you've mentioned were rated. The one exception to that injection molded case limitation is the exceptional DuoDock with its elephantine support legs that was rated for 21" Color CRTs.

AV Macs that came before were counterfeit "Pro Models" that couldn't hold a candle to professional NuBus Content Production Workstations. The Quadra 630 and is offspring were designed from the ground up as consumer level AV machines with two brand new slots alongside the venerable LCIII PDS of the old low end Quadra 605/LC 475. They didn't bother with the iffy stereo speakers in the 5xx series for the 630 because by then everyone had adopted "computer speakers" that at their cheapest were higher quality.

That ModularMedusaMess construction is a lot more practical with the slide in motherboard than anything from the Mac II or Quadra lines. The metal chassis is rugged as hell and a breath of fresh air after the horrid 8xx case.

Yep, I got along with lower end Macs because I didn't need color or tremendous power doing object oriented graphics. The Rocket in the IIx worked great all through the Quadra era. I got the Quadra 630 as backup for that production machine, as my kid's AV/HomeWorkStation and for me to use as needed after he fell asleep. I wouldn't have set the 17" Trinitron Monitor/TV from the kiddo's Quadra 630 setup on top of my IIx/Rocket or the Quadra 605 I got later as a toy. That one got the Portrait, but that's another story.

jt [8]
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball

C.O. AC130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

#82 Cory5412

Cory5412

Daring Pioneer of the Future

• Administrators
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted Yesterday, 04:05 AM

To wander back toward the actual topic a little bit -- Ethernet and RAM is pretty much the only things I ever put in my Macs. I don't need or want dual displays on most of my systems and since I generally just use period or period-adjacent software, having more than like 24 or 32 megs of RAM isn't incredibly important to me. The most I'm doing is light Photoshop on QuickTake or Mavica images, which is lighter than "high end" users probably did in the day, with scanners.

#83 itsvince725

itsvince725

Young ThinkPad Apprentice

• LocationPennsylvania

Posted Yesterday, 04:12 AM

36MB of RAM is definitely a nice solid number for this era of machines. Need to get a 32MB SIMM for the P550 board in my CC.

Macs I Own: Power Mac G3 B&W (350MHz), Power Mac G5 2.3DP, Performa 630CD, PowerBook 180, SE/30, 2x iMac G3 (Bondi Blue Rev B, Graphite 700MHz SE), SE dual-floppy, IIsi, Performa 6116CD, Quadra 950, PowerBook G4 1.5GHz (12in), 9600/300

#84 Cory5412

Cory5412

Daring Pioneer of the Future

• Administrators
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted Yesterday, 04:21 AM

So I just looked at EveryMac. The Quadra 630 predates the LC and Performa 630 by literally three days. The Quadra on July 15th and the LC/Performa on the 18th.

This is pretty clearly not something that was designed as a Quadra (which were generally always designed much more general purpose) and then later re-badged as a Performa.

Granted, the LC and Classic were also designed up front as inexpensive systems.

Regarding the AV Quadras: I don't think that they were meant to compete directly with, say, Avid systems. They were designed as cheap ways to produce "Multimedia!" content, basically 160x120 or 320x240 content for CD-ROMS.

Similarly, the AV Power Macintoshes probably didn't hold a candle to purpose-built AV equipment designed to be added to, say, the 9500/9600. The 8600 was a lot better, but that's what four years of development does. In the Power Mac era, the video in on professional desktops was generally "for" either conferencing or again for low end multimedia production.

The 630 series has merit, and they have no troubles whatsoever doing basically anything a 650/800 can do, minus the NuBus expansion, but they're definitely not Quadras first, even if the Quadra model technically predates the others by four days.

#85 Themk

Themk
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted Yesterday, 02:31 PM

36MB of RAM is definitely a nice solid number for this era of machines. Need to get a 32MB SIMM for the P550 board in my CC.

Agreed. That being said, I am really happy with my 128MB SIMM. I love my 8MB on-board + 128MB SIMM = 136MB. Having that much memory helps a lot in NetBSD.

It's nice that this model accepts a 128MB SIMM.

To wander back toward the actual topic a little bit -- Ethernet and RAM is pretty much the only things I ever put in my Macs. I don't need or want dual displays on most of my systems and since I generally just use period or period-adjacent software, having more than like 24 or 32 megs of RAM isn't incredibly important to me. The most I'm doing is light Photoshop on QuickTake or Mavica images, which is lighter than "high end" users probably did in the day, with scanners.

Yup. But, unlike you, I ran some modern software (NetBSD) so I needed more RAM [:P]. All the upgrades I've ever done was Ethernet-- But I didn't pass up the opportunity to buy an SE/30 VidCard for cheap. I like 24-bit colour on my SE/30.

Edited by Themk, Yesterday, 02:33 PM.

Macintosh SE SuperDrive, Macintosh SE/30, Apple IIgs ROM3, ImageWriterBanger II. Currently building the amazing 68040! Performa (Quadra??!!) 638CD gets 40MHz full '040 [;)] , Ethernet, 136MB RAM, AV input card, and maybe something else. Should have performance comparable to the Quadra 840av when done! (A/UX doesn't work, but I still like this little guy right here: [:P] )
Love programming for GS/OS and System 6/7.

#86 Themk

Themk
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted Yesterday, 02:53 PM

This is pretty clearly not something that was designed as a Quadra (which were generally always designed much more general purpose) and then later re-badged as a Performa.

Granted, the LC and Classic were also designed up front as inexpensive systems.

The 630 series has merit, and they have no troubles whatsoever doing basically anything a 650/800 can do, minus the NuBus expansion, but they're definitely not Quadras first, even if the Quadra model technically predates the others by four days.

If you look at it as a successor to the 610, then it seems to follow the 610's line of thinking fairly well. The 610 had a single PDS expansion slot, it had a built-in CDROM (optional), as well as no Ethernet on the entry level model as well. To be honest with you, it's kind of refreshing that the comm-slot card as supplied by Apple was 10BaseT. For the cost of buying the AAUI transceiver (today anyways) you can buy a card that already has 10BaseT on it for the 630. As to not being Quadras first, well, other then the limited expandability as you mentioned, they are very solid 040 machines, essentially designed to run at 40MHz (but then later crippled). As jt mentioned, the case is solid, and is capable of IIRC supporting 75 pounds on the top! The slide in motherboard is a really neat feature, and makes upgrades easy to do. I'm not totally sure if they are considered "Quadras first", but the architecture of the 630 is good and fast, which makes it enough of a Quadra for me. The real "not really a Quadra" is the Q605. Also, one of the things that is commonly brought up about this machine is ATA v. SCSI. In my testing I have found that ATA provides performance comparable to SCSI. (Except under NetBSD, which I'm not totally sure why) I dunno, I'm slightly inclined to go with Trash on the "Quadra first" notion, but at the same time too, Cory has provided some compelling argument points.

Edited by Themk, Yesterday, 02:56 PM.

Macintosh SE SuperDrive, Macintosh SE/30, Apple IIgs ROM3, ImageWriterBanger II. Currently building the amazing 68040! Performa (Quadra??!!) 638CD gets 40MHz full '040 [;)] , Ethernet, 136MB RAM, AV input card, and maybe something else. Should have performance comparable to the Quadra 840av when done! (A/UX doesn't work, but I still like this little guy right here: [:P] )
Love programming for GS/OS and System 6/7.

#87 Trash80toHP_Mini

Trash80toHP_Mini

NIGHT STALKER

• LocationBermuda Triangle, NC, USA

Posted Yesterday, 04:22 PM

Dunno, depends how you look at it I guess. They announced it with the hoopla of a new Quadra with the full 040 reinstated and an optical drive at the low end of a new lineup and plans to cheapen it with the LC040 for a new line of less expensive consumer machines.

The Quadra 630 remains a low end Quadra like the 605 which had a wonderful form factor and LCIII PDS expansion, putting it squarely in the Quadra performance/consumer level expansion compromise per Apple's marketing policy. No room for a NuBus adapter like the taller Quadra 610, much less an optical bay. The Quadra 610 was more along the lines of a squished down and out sideways IIsi, which was a TERRIBLE design decision. The case was wholly unworkable with its greater desktop real estate requirements and CRT weight limitations.

The Quadra 630's return to the more efficient IIsi type form factor with a fabulous peripheral bay rearrangement, metal chassis support structure and much better cooling was a great decision. It's too bad that cooling setup precluded sitting a Portrait on top. :-/

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini, Yesterday, 04:25 PM.

jt [8]
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball

C.O. AC130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users