Themk

My First Quadra

I just realized I do have a Centris 650. I can open it up and take a look?

Just tell me what to look for....

c

We are wanting to know about the soldered on RAM.

Either identify the chip type to us, or if you can take a high quality photo of the ICs, making the printing on top of them easy to read.

Since there were two versions/configurations of the Centris 650, when getting this information it would help to know what configuration you have. Of particular concern is the Quadra 650 with the 33MHz CPU, since it should be identical to the Quadra 800, but may not be at certain benchmarks.

So many confusing names!

Yes, make sure you have the 25MHz Centris 650 for this test.

A Quadra 650 would be good for comparison, but, I have a feeling it will be identical to the 800, as both are now at 33MHz.

It woudl be ideal to get information on all models - 25MHz Centris 650, 33MHz Centris 650, and 33MHz Quadra 650.

The claim earlier in the thread was that the otherwise literally physically identical Quadra 650 and Quadra 800 have slightly different RAM specs.

What would be interesting to know is if the Quadras are actually the same, or if they're actually different, and if the Centrises are more different.

Yeah.

Thanks to Bolle for inspecting an 800, we have 1/3 of the systems inspected now.

Centris 650 owners, please speak up!

Quadra 650 owners, please speak up!

What are you guys looking for exactly? I have a 650 type board installed into a IIvx case (got it at a recycling place after it was stripped out) so I don't know if it was batched Centris or Quadra.

Specifically, the specifications of the memory onboard.

Someone dug up an alleged difference in the memory spec between the 800 and 650, although I don't remember (it's a few pages ago) what particular 650 it was.

If it's possible to know, the specific type of memory for these four systems is what we need:

• 25MHz Centris 650
  • 33MHz Centris 650
  • 33MHz Quadra 650
  • 33MHz Quadra 800

IT would additionally be fun for hyperneogeo to take a peek at his prototype 40MHz 650/800 (Wombat) board for an additional comparison.

Is there a definitive answer to the memory used? Apple would have purchased millions of chips and purchased whatever was cheapest at the time of the order that met the spec. I have VLB video cards with soldered on chips with different ratings (same type and maker just different speed).

Quadra 650? Centris 650? Quadra 800?

The above information is just as important as the RAM chips.

EDIT: Anyway, the chips that jt imaged above are 80ns FPM chips.

Edited by Themk

We are wanting to know about the soldered on RAM.

Either identify the chip type to us, or if you can take a high quality photo of the ICs, making the printing on top of them easy to read.

I'll do my best.

c

Quadra 650? Centris 650? Quadra 800?

The middle one with the C innit. It's received so little love I don't remember if it's 25MHz or 33MHz? Somebody laid it on me in trade for somethingorother? :-/

Okay,. Diggin up the 25 vs 33MHz info will be nice to have. Apple system profiler will tell you the clock speed. It's on the legacy recovery CD.

Edited by Themk

I'll do my best.

c

Just take a picture of the on-board RAM, you can use JT's picture as a reference of what you want to capture. As you can see I can easily identify this stuff. Don't worry about identifying it yourself.

Oh, and just for the record, I have 60ns chips on my 630 motherboard, (the one that started this whole thread [;)]]'>)

8MB on board, with an additional 128MB in the SIMM slot, makes for a nice 136MB :D

As you're collecting this information, do you mind re-posting it in a condensed format (including blanks for systems we don't have information on yet, ideally) or letting me know what to put into which post?

We could also make a page on the 68kMLA Wiki.

Thank you for your help jt and CC!

We could also make a page on the 68kMLA Wiki.

Would you mind creating a wiki account for me?

Then I'll just create a table Wikipedia style for all this information.

Edited by Themk

It might be better not to create new accounts on the wiki. Anything that goes into it now will ultimately need to be migrated to the IPBoard pages module where the relevant wiki content and future editable "pages" for things like the resource/links threads that have sprouted up in so many of the subforums are going to go. I'd hate to have a lot of new content created and not have there be energy to move it to Pages.

I don't know when we're going to do that. I know at present we have a minor version update to do and then we need to go to the next major version. I don't think either ulterior or I have had time to look at what the pages platform is like.

I'll have to see if I can download a copy IPB to run on a system at home to test out pages and publishing.