Macsimus

SE/30 8/159 - $100 on eBay

My Apple IIgs (as I think all were) was built in Singapore. The quality of the computer is good, about what you would expect for any other Apple product of the time period (1986-1989), the plastic is nice and strong like my Mac's plastics are. I do wish it was built in the U.S. though, that would be cool. It's not a surprise that Singapore was used as a budget manufacturing destination in the 90s for Apple's lower end machines. (Notice how their higher end machines from the time period are either made/assembled in U.S.A., and the lower end ones are made in Singapore?)

That would be cool to bring home a SuperDrive with you. Just make sure you have space in your hand (carry-on) luggage!

Edited by Themk

Getting back to the original topic of this thread (ahem)...   ;D

I finally acquired "the tool" so I could open the case and take it apart:

IMG 0513

And what do I find? A Daynaport E/SI30 Ethernet card! ... But no breakout card with the ports. Argh!

IMG 0516

So close, yet so far. Perhaps a kind soul on this forum has a dead E/SI30 with a breakout card they'd be willing to part with?   ;D

A closer look at the motherboard and the tube:

IMG 0515

IMG 0517

All in all, a bit dusty, but looks pretty good. I'll send the motherboard out to get re-capped soon, but so far, I'm liking what I see.

Nice Ethernet card. Now, I can't remember if those cards have components on the daughter board or not, or if they have passive or active components on them. First thing would be for someone to take a picture of their daughter board, and then go from there. If its just a connector, someone will have to buzz the connections for you, and then you can build your own adaptor. If it has components, someone will have to see if those components are generic (off the shelf), and if so, it can probably be recreated from a schematic. Hopefully it is possible to build a new one. I have a Mini EtherPrint Plus from Dayna, it is a nice product!

Yeah, there's a bunch of black magic on those daughter boards. All hope might not be lost... if the Daynaport is anything like Asanté, you might could use an external AAUI transceiver instead. Of course, you'd have to figure out the pinout. Is the header labeled at all?

Hmm that's unfortunant. Someone might be able to figure out the pinout on the header still!

Edited by Themk

The 10bT section of the Asante breakout card is just an AUI transceiver plugged into the passive AUI intermediate card, so it should work with any AUI feed? No drivers required for than, no?

Same, about not having permissions to view.

If someone could figure out what the pin out from the header on the Dayna card is, then an AUI to 10BaseT transceiver is probably all that would be needed.

If someone has a dead Asante Card the backplane transceiver should work with any other card that outputs ThickNet to the backplane connector. I'd think there are a lot more of those around out there for a better shot at finding the board from a dead card for putting an RJ-45 on the backplane.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

I took a closer look at your networking card Macsimus. I happen to have a card based around that exact same chipset! No, its not an 030 PDS card, its a Comm slot 1 card, but its similar. Both are PDS (well maybe more like PDS-like in the comm slot) interfaces.

NuBus mafia over at the 'fritter has photos of my card:

http://www.applefritter.com/?q=node/2116

Not exactly the same as your card as does have a twisted-pair transceiver on board. My card is, however, identical to the one in the picture I linked. If you need me to do some buzzing, I am more than happy to help. I have the datasheet too, which I will attach to this post. The datasheet has the pin out of the chip package to, that might help the more technical here on this board help you with how this should all work.

SONIC-T_DP83934.pdf

Edited by Themk

That would indeed explain the 800K drive. AFAIK, the official SE/30 upgrade kit didn't come with a new 1.44MB floppy drive.

It did, just depends on the kit.

Are you sure the Lisa/XLs were all made in Ireland? I was very certain Apple had just one plant to produce them in the states, so any in Europe would have been made in the USA.

Lisas/XLs with the 220V PSU were "ASSEMBLED" in Europe.

Proof: AppleLisa-6.jpg

That "P" at the end of the model number indicates that the unit is equipped with a 220V PSU, just as macs (M0001P, M0001WP,M0001AP...)

There's quite a difference between "Made" and "Assembled". So, I guess you're right. They were all made in the US but some of the parts were shipped to Ireland to be assembled there. They probably avoided some taxes that way.

Probably the same strategy used for years in the car industry, where units were built as CKD (Complete Knock Down) so basically a complete set of parts ready for assembly.

And yes, avoiding some taxes.

Not sure, but, it all depends on how much was being made in Ireland. It makes sense to do final assembly in Ireland for the European market

Back on topic, let's hope that Macsimus comes back soon, so I can discuss their Ethernet card with them. :D

Edited by Themk

Themk,

I'm not sure what you mean by "buzzing," but thanks for offering. I'm not too serious about making my card work, though. It was a long shot that someone would have the granddaughter card as a spare, but I thought I'd ask.

I messaged olePigeon a while back about some SE/30 Ethernet cards, which he still has, I think. I may just pick one up from him instead.

by 'buzzing' I mean testing for continuity.

Now, that's okay if you don't want to do it, but I do have all the components sitting on my desk that would be needed to build a daughterboard. Basically, what I would need for you to buzz is the header on the card, to the pins on the SONIC-T chip. It looks like building a transceiver based on this chip wouldn't be too hard.