Blougram

Modern printer, old Mac?

I would love to set up printing on my SE/30. Here's the setup I've been tinkering with: The Mac and the Wi-Fi printer -- a multifunction Brother (MFC prefix, but don't remember the exact model) -- are connected to the same home network (192.168.1.2 vs. 192.168.1.30). I have downloaded the Laser Writer driver disks with the Desktop Printer Utility for System 7.5, and am trying to create a profile using lpr and the generic PostScript driver. Now, the utility seems to find the printer (I've tested using the Verify feature with the printer IP vs. other IP addresses) but it times out every time I try to print something.

Is it actually possible to do what I'm trying to do, or do I need a printer from the 68k era? I am also wondering about the name of the queue (the only items you configure are driver, IP and the queue); is this something that's specific to the printer? Looking at the settings in Windows 10, the queue is set to "BINARY_P1". Should I use the same value?

Cheers,

Blougram

Edited by Blougram

Does your Brother printer accept PostScript? Does it support direct printing from port 9100? If yes to both, you should be able to set it up as a network printer. What you want is for the LaserWriter extension to output its PostScript to your printer. If your printer does NOT support PostScript, your kinda out of luck...

What printer would you suggest for a Color Classic Themk?  I would like something that I could still buy a ribbon or cart for... Apple branded maybe?

Suggestions?

mraroid

Apple ImageWriter II is always a solid choice for any 68K mac. Supports color, and the ribbons are still fairly easy to find. Eraser, who is a member here, sells some newly manufactured color ribbons

LaserWriters are also a good choice, but are bigger, bulkier, harder to ship, more expensive etc. There are some other lasers (even color lasers) that will work, but those are also big and expensive.

Edited by Themk

If you want something that should be cheap to find locally and works on everything, something along the lines of a Laserjet 4000 series. Native post script + PCL + plain text printing meaning everything works. Serial and parallel factory and you can easily and cheaply get an addin card that gives Localtalk, http://www.ebay.com/itm//171916199744. Only downside is they don't match the design of a CC. 

If your just sending raw postscript data to port 9100, then I dont think the queue name matters.

Yeah PostScript support is not universal, especially among consumer models. Definetely check the spec sheet.

At the same time though, Xerox isn't exactly a manufacturer of consumer printers. Xerox printerd are nice and the PostScript support is superb. HP also offers PostScript (though its not 'official' from Adobe; but still works very well) on its higher end printers (mostly business oriented lines, like the LaserJet, and the PageWide pro.)

When you buy used (as olePigeon is probably suggesting), the prices aren't too bad. If you decide to buy a used laser (LJ 4000 series as mentioned above is good), I would avoid a color laser unless you know you will absolutely want the color output.

At the same time though, if your Brother suports PostScript, then no need to worry about this! P.S. If you tell me the model number, I'll look it up for you.

Edited by Themk

Any printer that supports Postscript and Appletalk will work on a 68k Mac using Adobe's AdobePS driver and the PPD for your printer. LaserWriter drivers tend to have odd compatibility problems with 3rd party printers for some reason. If you don't have a Postscript printer, you can likely kludge up a solution using netatalk's printer queue functions, Ghostscript, and your current printer.

It's a Brother MFC-8710DW, which supports PostScript (and LPR/LPD) according to the manual, which also lists all predefined services running on the server. I take it this would be the same as the Queue I enter in the Utility? "BINARY_1" didn't work, but I'll try "BRNxxxxxxxxxxxx_AT" (x = MAC address) when I get home tonight. This is listed as "PostScript service for Macintosh."

That brother looks like it does have Post Script capability (though the way the word it is weird. Its definitely not a 'official' PostScript implementation, in fact they don't even call it postscript!). It also accepts a raw TCP port for direct input into the printer. (port 9100)

Edited by Themk

At the same time though, Xerox isn't exactly a manufacturer of consumer printers. Xerox printerd are nice and the PostScript support is superb.

Sure they do.

http://www.office.xerox.com/digital-printing-equipment/printers/enus.html

In fact, they're having an insane deal going on right now.  I have to email my boss. :O

https://www.shop.xerox.com/shop/office-equipment/printers/phaser-6500?utm_source=xcom&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=hdwonline

$220 instant rebate + free duplexer ($100) on the Phaser 6500.  That gets you a Xerox Phaser 6500/DN for $180, normally a $500 printer.

Full color laser printer with PostScript Level 3 support.  I think it even supports AppleTalk.  I know my 6600/DN does.

Well, I guess to some people that would be considered a consumer printer. It kind of is considered one I guess.... I was mainly referring to all of those printers I see people buy at the $60-130 level. You are right though, we could call those consumer models, though they are probably a little bit higher end than what a lot of people buy (ugh I can't STAND those inkjets that people buy en-masse).

Full color laser printer with PostScript Level 3 support. I think it even supports AppleTalk. I know my 6600/DN does.

Phaser 6500/DN looks very nice. AppleTalk support, I didn't see anything mentioned about it on the spec sheet, but I could see where they might not feel like listing it. I assume its EtherTalk?

Success! So, I was able to print by:

1. Saving a document as PostScript on my Mac

2. Open the PS file, copy all text.

3. Open a connection to Port 9100

4. Paste the text.

The printout looks great, including graphics and text formatting, but there must be a better way. :)  Any suggestions?

Edited by Blougram

I'm not sure how to set up RAW port 9100 printing in the System Software, but I'm glad to know you were able to get a printout!

The Phaser 6022 does not have AppleTalk support, BTW. Or if it does, it is not mentioned anywhere in the documentation, nor the configuration, status or setup pages on the printer. It does have Postscript and ethernet. I set one up for a friend, but she has no old Macs, so no need for Appletalk anyway. Still, I looked because I was curious.

Hmm. Printer pecifications used to include a list of network protocols supported. Xerox isn't bothering to include that in their specifications. That's a fabulous deal on the 6500. If my Kyocera EP C170N wasn't still going strong I'd call the 800 number and see if Xerox has someone clueful enough to find the network protocols list.

OlePigeon, does AppleTalk show up in the listings when you print a configuration/status report page on your 6600? It might be as simple as getting Xerox to send one of us said page for the 6500.