RasterOps ColorVue SE APD?

RasterOps ColorVue SE APD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ktkm

ktkm
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:54 PM

I’ve been watching an SE lately, because of a 13W3 jack sticking out on the back. Could this possible be an RasterOps ColorVue SE APD?

If not? Could it be something else perhaps? And is it limited to an SE only? (The seller won’t specify).

/ktkm

Attached Thumbnails

• SE_13W3.jpg

#2 Themk

Themk
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

RasterOps Colorvue SE APD is a 68000 PDS card, so yes it is limited to the SE only. It provides support for a portrait display.

LowEndMac has some info on this card:

http://lowendmac.com...8k/cvseapd.html

Now, LEM is a little ambiguous as to if this supports color- I'm inclined to think it does, as the standard RasterOps Colorvue SE (notice the no APD at the end), does support 8-bit color.

(NOTE: all of this info assumes that it is indeed a Colorvue SE APD card, but I can't confirm that-dunno enough about that card)

Edited by Themk, 20 April 2017 - 02:22 PM.

Macintosh SE SuperDrive, Macintosh SE/30, Apple IIgs ROM3, ImageWriterBanger II.
Love programming for GS/OS and System 6/7.

#3 Trash80toHP_Mini

Trash80toHP_Mini

NIGHT STALKER

• LocationBermuda Triangle, NC, USA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:18 PM

You beat me to it. SE cards, are for ONLY the SE, unless of course you have the unobtanium EXPANSE two slot box for the Portable. Recreating one of the would be one hella' hack.

Aspect ratio of the D-Shell connector looks wonky for DB13W3 but that does look like it might be the correct contact on the end. If uncertain about that, check it against the aspect ratio of the DC-37 (floppy drives?) connector.

Doubtful it supports color, more doubtful about the cable connection supporting color. Probably won't work with the Radius Pivot monitor's 640x864 input. Unless you have the Apple Portrait, the only way to use it will be running something like MacPortrait to use a compatible pivoted MutiSync LCD.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini, 20 April 2017 - 02:51 PM.

jt [8]
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball

C.O. AC130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

#4 BadGoldEagle

BadGoldEagle

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

A ColorVue SE looks like that from the back

$_57.JPG

The ColorVue SE APD is meant to be used with the Apple Portrait display only. The connector on the image you linked lets me think that it is NOT a ColorVue SE APD. BTW, why is it called COLORvue since it is a monochrome card??

Edit: maybe it is. I can't see straight right now.

Edited by BadGoldEagle, 20 April 2017 - 02:59 PM.

COOL STUFF: Working original & nearly complete 1984 Macintosh w/ Picasso kit, still looking for a G440 mouse :p, NIB Newton MessagePad from 1993, iMac G3 400MHz DV Graphite

IN THE WORKS: The outstanding SE/30 (50MHz Powercache, Pivot Display Color Graphics) but also non-working 512K Hyperdrive w/ Manuals & Disks, Mac Portable M5126, SE Dual 800k, Classic II, HD40SC, Apple Djinn... I have a lot of restorations going on!

#5 Trash80toHP_Mini

Trash80toHP_Mini

NIGHT STALKER

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

Most likely a very different, less expensive card to produce to run the Portrait in GS over its native 13W3 interface.

Wikipedia pic:

220px-DSubminiatures.svg.png

Looks more like a B-Shell than C-Shell connector after a cup of coffee. Measuring the mounting bolt separation against what you can see of the SCSI connector will tell the tale.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini, 20 April 2017 - 03:14 PM.

jt [8]

#6 Themk

Themk
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

More browsing around seems to suggest probably greyscale, and Apple Portrait Display.

Also, is that a ColorVue, or a ColorVue APD in the image above? It looks like just a regular ColorVue (which BTW does support color), but I dunno.

Edited by Themk, 20 April 2017 - 03:13 PM.

Macintosh SE SuperDrive, Macintosh SE/30, Apple IIgs ROM3, ImageWriterBanger II.
Love programming for GS/OS and System 6/7.

#7 Trash80toHP_Mini

Trash80toHP_Mini

NIGHT STALKER

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

BTW, why is it called COLORvue since it is a monochrome card??

It's part of the COLORvue family. APD=Apple Portrait Display, which is normally a Color ROM Mac only Display. My WAG would be that it might leverage the 2 bit (4 bit?) GS capability of the SE into producing a subset of the 256 gray palette of the Portrait. "Monochrome" did and still does get confused with B&W in common usage. "Color" would have at least implied Grayscale to a B&W SE user.

Take it FWIW,  I'm in need of more coffee.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini, 20 April 2017 - 03:29 PM.

jt [8]

#8 ktkm

ktkm
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

Thank you all!

I should be able to rule out some the possibilities at least. I have APD but haven’t been able to test it as of yet, so I think I need to let this SE and card slip.  :(

More picture can be found here. (One of pictures shows a startup screen with crossed over extension, could it be related to the card?)

/ktkm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RasterOps, ColorVue, SE, APD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users