• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 falen5

falen5

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:11 PM

Said I may as well start a new thread for this 

She arrived.

I took pictures and filmed  as I took a look

Looks clean. The labels have fallen off some of the rom chips - i covered them straight away with tape to keep the light out

But 1 bad supprise. The hard drive has been purposely destroyed

It looks like someone took it out and smashed it off a wall for a few hours. 

Platter and armature gone, chips TORN off, bits of the boards torn off. ...Looks like someone vented some extream anger on this poor drive

Happily - the rest looks great.

No battery, no leak. Despite the main boards being covered in dust , they look very very clean under the grime

220 volt psu

will start to clean it all up over the weekend and try powering it up in a day or 2

whats the story with replacement hard drives for a lisa... had a look on ebay and no sign of anything close to this drive

I dont even know what OS a lisa runs on - is it totally different from the 128K system 1

oh god........wheres me glasses 

Attached Thumbnails

• i.jpg
  • j.jpg
  • k.jpg
  • l.jpg
  • z.jpg
  • f.jpg
  • g.jpg
  • h.jpg
  • e.jpg
  • d.jpg
  • a.jpg
  • b.jpg
  • c (2).jpg

#2 Carboy7

Carboy7
  • LocationDurham, North Carolina, USA

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:38 PM

Oh my. That is a beautiful Lisa...

As for the hard drive, I believe there is a thing called the X/Profile that lets you use a CF card with your Lisa. They are rare, though.

I've been dormant for a long time. Blackbird,145B,PDQ,iBook,iMacG3,(2)iLamp,LCII,IIsi,PMG4,SPARCstation 5

#3 BadGoldEagle

BadGoldEagle

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

Congratulations on your new 2/10 falen!

I hope she'll boot right up. It's a shame that HD is beyond repair. Carboy is right though, the X/profile is the way to go (unless you have a Parallel card of some sorts... You could hook it up to a Profile... but these things are damn expensive and most of them are toast)

IF you are serious about your soldering skills, you could build an IDEfile yourself... all the ressources are there.

Good luck. 

COOL STUFF: Working original & nearly complete 1984 Macintosh w/ Picasso kit, still looking for a G440 mouse :p, NIB Newton MessagePad from 1993, iMac G3 400MHz DV Graphite

IN THE WORKS: The outstanding SE/30 (50MHz Powercache, Pivot Display Color Graphics) but also non-working 512K Hyperdrive w/ Manuals & Disks, Mac Portable M5126, SE Dual 800k, Classic II, HD40SC, Apple Djinn... I have a lot of restorations going on!

#4 falen5

falen5

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

Thanks people

Eagle - idefile looks like a good option - just had a quick look - will focus on the rest of the machine first but at least there are paths to take 

It is very clean (besides the 30 years of dust) - cant see any decay of any kind on the main boards

allot of yellowing on the outside....... but i love it

This is a 220 volt... i wonder how many of these were made. To be honest I was amazed to find this one in Ireland at all!

question - i have 40mb external SCSI for my compact macs - just checked the connections - would it work on the Lias or will it blow something up

Made a video of the tear down but when I saw the damage to the hard drive .... the cursing began!!!......... will have to do allot of 'beep's' in the edit!!

still cant get over the keyboard connector - 3/4 inch stereo jack.....wow!

#5 lisa2

lisa2

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:38 PM

It's trivial to route the internal par port to the outside to attach a profile.  You only need a par port card if you want to run two or more hard disks.

Rick

#6 BadGoldEagle

BadGoldEagle

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:11 PM

I'll have a look at your video later tonight. I like the Lisa, I wish I had one!

To answer your interrogations...

This is a 220 volt... i wonder how many of these were made. To be honest I was amazed to find this one in Ireland at all!

110V units were built in the US and 220V units were built in Ireland (couple of km from where you live I think). Every single Lisa 2 (don't know about Lisa 1...) sold in Europe was made in Ireland, but Apple didn't sell much of Lisas in Europe so it's kinda rare all right.

question - i have 40mb external SCSI for my compact macs - just checked the connections - would it work on the Lias or will it blow something up

It just WON'T WORK. Don't know if it will blow something up but a Lisa uses Parallel, not SCSI.

SCSI cards were available back in the Mac XL days but don't know for sure if they were compatible with the Lisa OS. Probably not!

still cant get over the keyboard connector - 3/4 inch stereo jack.....wow!

Yeah, unfortunately the Mac keyboard is 100% NOT compatible. 

And your keyboard troubles don't stop there: this is a capacitive keyboard, and the capacitive foam has disintegrated over the years, you'll have to re-foam each key individually. But first of all you need to get it going! Don't worry about the keys for now.

BTW, nice anti-glare filter you got there on the CRT.  :)

Edited by BadGoldEagle, 13 April 2017 - 04:17 PM.

COOL STUFF: Working original & nearly complete 1984 Macintosh w/ Picasso kit, still looking for a G440 mouse :p, NIB Newton MessagePad from 1993, iMac G3 400MHz DV Graphite

IN THE WORKS: The outstanding SE/30 (50MHz Powercache, Pivot Display Color Graphics) but also non-working 512K Hyperdrive w/ Manuals & Disks, Mac Portable M5126, SE Dual 800k, Classic II, HD40SC, Apple Djinn... I have a lot of restorations going on!

#7 falen5

falen5

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:32 PM

WoW - Lisa's were made in Ireland.. i didnt know that. The brother said they were not - but then again he is a thick as i am!!

What is the OS for Lisa - is it available on mac garden - can I make a boot floppy?... i imaging the OS will fit on a 400k disc..

Pretty sure ill get the floppy driv working so if the machine fires up ill be able to get to a desktop

I have made lots of compact 68k mac floppys using transmac but Im thinking it wont be that simple - these are 400K  drives aparently 

#8 falen5

falen5

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:03 PM

Opened up the PSU

Lots of foil caps and the 2 biggest caps look rounded at the top

What ye rekon - power it up  or just recap the lot !!

Pretty sure some of thoes foil caps will go bang and make a big mess

Cleaned off the dust and it looks good - no sign of burning, leaks or any other damage.

Few dry solder connections - will solder them up

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9554.JPG
  • IMG_9553.JPG
  • IMG_9552.JPG

#9 lisa2

lisa2

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:04 PM

Unless you are going to run MacWorks, know that the LOS requires a HD.  The installer for the LOS is a 5 disk set.  You could boot the installer from the floppy just to see if it works, but you will need to install it on a HD to really run/use it.

LOS disk images are available here:

http://www.macmother...t/lisahome.html

Rick

#10 falen5

falen5

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for that Rick - ill download them.

#11 BadGoldEagle

BadGoldEagle

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

I'd say it'd be safer to replace those pesky foil caps, they always go bad. The 180W PSU (Lisa 2/10) is quite sturdy.

If you want to test the PSU's output before doing a smoke test, you can use this schematic: Part 1B Part 2B

#12 falen5

falen5

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:47 PM

Just plugged in the PSU on its own - nothing happened

will have to make a list of parts to order up - anyone got a list of replacement caps

Does this psu run with a soft start capability.....

will plug it in again and have a look with the meter

but no smoke or bangs yet!

Edited by falen5, 13 April 2017 - 05:59 PM.

#13 BadGoldEagle

BadGoldEagle

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

Does this psu run with a soft start capability.....

Yes it does. The small switch in front of the unit activates it.

#14 ArmorAlley

ArmorAlley
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:59 PM

Well done sir! That is quite the acquisition.
Whatever happened to your packed Apple II? Have you gotten it working yet?

Macs in active-ish use: IIcx | IIfx | Performa 475 | B&W G4

Macs available for use: SE; SE/30; LCIII; Q950; PM7100; PM7300; PM8100; 2x once-working Wallstreets; once-working Pismo; spare B&W G3;

#15 falen5

falen5

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

And i was looking at that switch. Ill try it  again. Plug it in, hit the switch and that should send power through it.  God I hate this..... has to be done

Hi armor

The hacked Apple II is all put back together and on the floor behind me. I got it as far good powersupply running apple iie board, connected to the screens analog board and giving a good signal, floppy drive working.

The old hard drive still had a 5 volt to ground short . I have a possible way to fix it now but I just havnt got back to it yet. Ive gone into vintage synthesizers now, was not expecting to be messing with old apple machines for a while....... but then the Lisa went on sale in Ireland.

I was bidding on a faulty  Prophet VS a while ago - missed it. Man some of those old analog synths are just awsom on the inside - spending hours on youtube watching some guy calibrating an osilator on a moog.................my condition is spreading 

#16 lisa2

lisa2

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

The switch on the PS is for the case interlock, it's wired with the interlock on the front of case under the CRT.  I doubt you will get the PS to startup outside of the system.  With the interlocks closed the PS will output a standby voltage that powers the COPS chip on the IO board.  When you press the power button, the COPS chip sends a signal to the PS output the running voltages and start the system.   Don't make this more complicated that it is,  the caps in the PS are rarely an issue.  Plug it in and go for it.

Rick

#17 falen5

falen5

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:22 PM

before and after

Coming up real nice

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9571.JPG
  • IMG_9572.JPG
  • IMG_9575.JPG
  • IMG_95746.JPG

#18 falen5

falen5

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:28 PM

ArmorAlley - heres the last vid on the hacked apple ii -

its not finished...... when i learn how to read  schematics and use the osiliscope ill finish it (hopefully)

Sure my apple Tam is still waiting up in the attic to be finished.......

#19 falen5

falen5

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:36 PM

whole day to get it taken apart

thought i found some rust on the back of the analog board - was only dust.

Its all there and all looking clean

still finding bits of the hard drive in the case. Someone took out the hard drive, disassembled it, then tore chunks out of it......................and then put it all back in the machine.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9597.JPG
  • IMG_9598.JPG
  • IMG_9599.JPG
  • IMG_9600.JPG
  • IMG_9601.JPG

Edited by falen5, 13 April 2017 - 10:44 PM.

#20 unity

unity
  • LocationGreen Bay, WI

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:22 PM

Those poor uncovered EPROMS. :(

• Drexel Macintosh • IIcx prototypes (4) • Don Crabb's Outbound 125 • Macintosh II/x/fx • Macintosh SE/30 • Macintosh SE • Macintosh Classic II Proto • Macintosh 512k • Macintosh 128k

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users