scidsecret

2 B&W G3s + Studio Display

Came across a guy who had found 2 B&W G3s and a Studio Display in his attic. Picked them up yesterday, had to troubleshoot them a bit, but sure enough, they came to life! One had no ram, one had two sticks (one bad). Studio display works for the most part, but has to be tapped every once in a while and has a horrible green and magenta effect on the screen. Thinking I might sell one if there's any interest. Cosmetically, one is a little rough.. missing side panel, scuffs and scratches, cracked or broken feet and handles. But it works!

On a side note, I found this on the letgo app

IF you'd be willing to part one of the B&Ws out, I could *really* use all the IDE cables, and perhaps the power supply and main system fan; I have a B&W that was in good shape, until some mice decided to build a nest in it (they gnawed at the IDE cables, so they're junk).

c

CC_333, Parting out the second unit is likely.  I will probably post it in the trading post in the next day or so.  I'll give you first dibs on the power supply, main system fan and IDE cables.

CC_333, Parting out the second unit is likely. I will probably post it in the trading post in the next day or so. I'll give you first dibs on the power supply, main system fan and IDE cables.

Thanks! I just realized something else. Are either of these Rev. 2? Mine has a Yikes! board in it, but with the original G3 CPU (making it a sort of Rev. 3), which is fine and good, except it doesn't have an ADB port.

So, if one of these is a Rev. 2, I'd potentially be interested in the logic board as well.

c

I believe both of these are Rev. A, but I'll have to double check later tonight. Side note, one of the systems had a Sonnet Tempo Ultra66 expansion card in it. Haven't had a chance to test that yet though.

OK, if they're both Rev. A, then I won't bother with the logic board. The improvements in reliability my present board offer are worth losing the ADB port for.

c

Edited by CC_333

Yeah it does. And I could, but there are extra parts it requires I think, and it seems it would just be easier to get a board that already has one installed, since I'll be stripping the machine down anyway to clean out the remainder of the nest.

c

Ahh, I see. I had a sawtooth back in the day, good machine, regret giving it away now! The Sawtooth was a completely different logic board design-so I don't have to much info on the G3/yikes motherboards.

I traded it for a G5, really wish I hadn't as G5 can't boot OS 9!

Edited by Themk