Photo

SCSI2SD and Apple IIGS?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 NJRoadfan

NJRoadfan

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

Yes, the LCIII works perfectly for writing 800k disks, although you need them in DiskCopy format (I don't think there are any 68k utilities for writing 2MG files to disk). That's how I did it back in the day before ADTPro and fancy floppy emulators. From a performance standpoint, the SCSI card is going to be MUCH faster then the FloppyEmu running in SmartPort mode on a IIgs.

Replacement gears for your drives can be found on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262859261833

#22 agent_js03

agent_js03

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

You could. Whenever you get the money, save your self hours and get a floppy emu! HD emulation, floppy emulation it's awesome.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I figure as much time as I spend on these machines, and also considering how many I use and for which data transfer is virtually impossible due to the 800k limitation, maybe I ought to just save money and cough up the dough.

#23 agent_js03

agent_js03

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

Yes, the LCIII works perfectly for writing 800k disks, although you need them in DiskCopy format (I don't think there are any 68k utilities for writing 2MG files to disk). That's how I did it back in the day before ADTPro and fancy floppy emulators. From a performance standpoint, the SCSI card is going to be MUCH faster then the FloppyEmu running in SmartPort mode on a IIgs.

Replacement gears for your drives can be found on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262859261833

Yeah I actually was able to convert them to DiskCopy format by loading them up as disk drives in Basilisk and then generating DiskCopy disk images from them there.

Thanks for finding those replacement gears. While they are cheaper than some of the others I have found, I still have a hard time paying that much for a tiny piece of plastic. It feels a little like... extortion. I mean all the guy has to do is 3d print them. That probably costed a few cents to reproduce. I know the floppy emu is way more expensive but still... Maybe one day when I care enough I will repair these things, as they hold collector's value. But now I think I would try every other option before trying that one.

I'm still kind of disappointed that I was not able to get netbooting over appletalk working for the IIgs. I tried everything I could think of, and followed the directions to a tee. It seems like a lost cause.

#24 Johnnya101

Johnnya101
  • LocationLancaster, NH

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

Yeah I've got a 3d printer. Those cost at most 5 cents each...

But hey when your pretty much the only choice...

resized.gif       BRENT RAMBO APPROVES

Apple IIGS, Classic II, SE/30, Color Classic, Quadra 700, 2x Imagewriter II,  Macintosh Color Display, Power Mac 7100 and 7200, LC II, Macintosh Color Display,  and a box full of ADB keyboards... Soon to be owner of another Quadra 700 and PowerBook 165c

#25 NJRoadfan

NJRoadfan

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:50 PM

If you have a Localtalk-to-Ethernet bridge, you could try A2SERVER's built in netbooting.

http://appleii.ivanx.com/a2server/

I don't have any experience setting up AppleShare 3.0 to netboot Apple IIs.

#26 agent_js03

agent_js03

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:55 PM

If you have a Localtalk-to-Ethernet bridge, you could try A2SERVER's built in netbooting.

http://appleii.ivanx.com/a2server/

I don't have any experience setting up AppleShare 3.0 to netboot Apple IIs.

That's exactly what I tried, haha. I used the Asante Localtalk to Ethernet bridge and connected it to a raspberry pi configured with a2server to netboot. I even connected to it with a powerbook 3400c and was able to access the file server. I then used the Powerbook 3400c as a localtalk to ethernet bridge just to make sure that it wasn't a problem between the iigs and asantetalk, still no go. It just goes to "check startup disk" and there is no error or anything or message to indicate that it even tried to boot over appletalk.

I don't know if I need to change the settings on my modem port or not, I didn't see any info on that anywhere. Any diagnostic help would be appreciated.

#27 agent_js03

agent_js03

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

Yeah I've got a 3d printer. Those cost at most 5 cents each...

But hey when your pretty much the only choice...

We have a 3d printer at work. I wish he would have been nice and just uploaded the model so that I can print it myself... I suppose I could go through the trouble of learning CAD so that I can design the gear myself, but that's a pretty big time investment.

#28 NJRoadfan

NJRoadfan

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

If its a ROM 01

-Set Slot 7 to "Appletalk"

-Set Slot 1 or 2 to "Your Card", connect your LocalTalk network to the corresponding port.

-Set boot to "Appletalk"

ROM 3

-Set Slot 1 or 2 to "Appletalk", connect your LocalTalk network to the corresponding port.

-Set boot to "Appletalk"

#29 agent_js03

agent_js03

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:59 AM

If its a ROM 01

-Set Slot 7 to "Appletalk"

-Set Slot 1 or 2 to "Your Card", connect your LocalTalk network to the corresponding port.

-Set boot to "Appletalk"

ROM 3

-Set Slot 1 or 2 to "Appletalk", connect your LocalTalk network to the corresponding port.

-Set boot to "Appletalk"

Yep... It's a ROM 01 and that's exactly what I did. Slot 2 to "Your Card" and plugged into the modem port. No go. It just goes straight to "Check startup disk."

#30 theslownorris

theslownorris

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:02 AM

"There is no point in running a SCSI-2 drive on an Apple II. Its simply too slow to take advantage of it"

Sure man, a given, BUT I am configging this thing ALL WHICH WAYS to see if I can get the thing to fully work with ANY machine I have... I have not had much luck.

I've been trying to put the v6 in my Uncle's Color Classic and reclaim my v5 for my Mac Plus or IIgs. I found the v6 to be very finicky.

I have formatted a 2gig HFS partition on my ROM1 IIgs w/ scsi2 enabled and disabled (Dang if I didn't space trying to read/write to it).

I have formatted and read/wrote to it with a Performa 6400/180 over db25 using the scsi2sd's onboard termination useing Apple's utility (patched).

However, after formatting with my IIgs the Uncle's Color Classic recognizes it (SCSI2 disabled), but locks up system 7.5.3 when attempting to write to the device. Additionally, after a couple of boots it now refuses to mount at all. Apple's SCSI utility state's "unsupported" and the patched version, as well as Lido crash with an error -39.

The wiki says v6 has issues of term and using over db25.

That being said, my experience with v6 has been poor and I'm beginning to wonder if it works at all (latest firmware). Perhaps my machines are simply too old to play nice? (The Performa I used was not mine, and I own no machines of that era).

However, v5 simply seems to work nicely and exactly as it should. The v6 has been a trifle. (PM me if you wanna swap something for it :) ).

#31 NJRoadfan

NJRoadfan

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:16 PM

The Apple Rev. C SCSI card is a very early implementation of SCSI, I'm not surprised its having problems with the v6. On the Macs, have you tried other drive prep tools like Silverlining or FWB?

Also looking at the compatibility list, you know the v6 is buggy if its having problems working with an Adaptec AHA-2940 series card. That was one of the most stable and common implementations of SCSI around for close to a decade!

Edited by NJRoadfan, 17 March 2017 - 12:17 PM.

#32 agent_js03

agent_js03

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:51 PM

Seven months later, I decided to start playing with the IIGS again. I ordered the gears and fixed the floppy drives (woohoo!) I have a floppy emu and used this to copy 6.0.1 onto physical floppy disks. Now I just need to dig out the old LC III and format a sd card with 32mb image and I should be able to just pop in the System 6 disk, open advanced disk utils, initialize the disk and install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users