Johnnya101

Mac II Series vs Quadra 700

I've been wanting one of those early 90s (and late 80s) desktop towers for a while.

I like the II series. Of course, you can guess which one I like the best... :p (Hint, IIfx). I've read that other models can also be upgraded to be as fast. I'm not really sure which would be fastest and best and most upgradable. I don't like the Iisi is it? Because of the rounded front.

I like the Q700 because it's like the II on its side. And from what I've seen it's pretty fast too, however some video show the stock processor to be faster than an IIfx?

Anyways, what do you guys think? I would want to of course get connected to the internet on them.

The II series models I like the best are the II, IIx, IIfx, IIcx, and IIci.

The Quadra 700 is noticeably faster in my experience than the IIfx. Also the Quadra 700 main logic board was made with tantalum capacitors, so issues related to leaking caps are pretty much non-existent - although later models of IIfx also had mostly tantalum caps.

If you can only have one, get the Quadra 700. You can also run Mac OS 8 on it and connect to an AppleShare IP server (if you have one on your LAN, like FreeNAS or something) to get software onto it. Then when you do get the Mac IIfx and start getting into old PowerBooks (because let's face it, you're going to get addicted) ... you can run System 7 and LocalTalk to EtherTalk bridge on the IIfx.

Enjoy!

The Macintosh II, IIx, IIsi, IIcx, IIci, and the SE/30 (Mac II in a compact) can all be upgraded to a 68040 processor to be nearly as fast as a Quadra 700.  The only thing bottlenecking the other machines is the BUS.  Without replacing the CPU in a Quadra 700, a Mac II series computer can actually have a CPU roughly 1.5x faster.  With the exception of the IIsi, they'll also have more NuBUS slots.  The SE/30 is surprisingly just as upgradable as a IIci if you get a twin slot adapter (but it's an expensive adapter.)

The IIfx can, technically, be upgraded to a 68040 as well.  However, the only commercially released PDS accelerator was the Tokamac, and it is probably the rarest upgrade out there.  In addition, should you even find one, it would require a as-of-yet undocumented modification to the motherboard of the IIfx for it to work correctly.  So if you wanted a 68040 IIfx, you'd need to find one that had the Tokamac factory installed.

The available accelerators for everything*** except the IIfx were:  Daystar Turbo 040, Micromac Carrera 040, and the Sonnet Presto 040.

*** With the appropriate Daystar adapter.

If you're fine with only two NuBUS slots, then the Quadra 700 is certainly the cheapest way to get a nice II-inspired machine that is relatively maintenance free and doesn't need expensive upgrades.  You can get by using a much cheaper Quad Doubler that allows you to overclock the CPU.

Yeah I think the quadra would fit my needs most. And it has built in Ethernet, so that would not take up any cards.

What can nubus do? Video cards I know and Ethernet...

I love my Q700s, but the extremely limited number of slots and the fact that the PDS blocks one of only two available makes it much less interesting for NuBus playtime to me than the IIfx or even the IIcx. The 68040 is so fast that the FPU deprived Quadra 605 beat the IIfx in floating point operations. Speed isn't necessarily the point of this hobby.

If you want raw speed, your only real choice is a Quadra 650!

YMMV

edit: olePidgeon's right, VidCards and NICs are mere housekeeping, the least interesting of the NuBus panoply. Except for really high end VidCards of course.

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

I'm really looking for that square box look (lol!) so the 650 is out.

If you had to choose between the II series, what would be the best in terms of price, availability, and expandibility?

Edited by Johnnya101

Hmmm... I think the 700 is the best for me.

I do love the II series, but they seem slow (Stock) compared to the 700. Well, I mean, they are! The 700 has got the look too.

Anyways, I have made up my mind, but feel free to keep adding! Ill still read it and I am sure its a help to others!

To be fair, my initial love affair with the Quadra 700 was because of Jurassic Park. Only since owning one have I appreciated all the other reasons it's probably my favourite Mac of ALL time. The tantalum capacitors are brilliant. No leaking and no annoying axials to deal with like with the IIci. The modular (largely toolless) design is pretty much the most sensible PC build I've ever come across. It's got that lovely full 040 processor and runs 8.1 surprisingly well. The IIci was always a top contender for me and I JUST got my hands on one yesterday. I'm currently in the process of drying the motherboard after a recapping and wash. The PSU is next on the recap list. Anyway...those are my two cents!

Edited by LazarusNine

The PowerPC Upgrade is a nice little bonus too, and not too hard to find. The only problem for some is getting a 700 with the rubber feet. Those buggers seem to be a get lost/damaged often. 

q700feet_2.jpg

I had an eBay search setup with the part number (which I can't recall now), and I landed one for $50ish. The Apple one is quite common, but the DayStar 100mhz one is a bit of a unicorn. I replaced the thermal paste as the card gets very hot, I used some left over Arctic Silver, but I am not sure it made a difference. 

Makes you wonder what the SGI monitor is hooked to...

An SGI Crimson. It can be seen sitting next to his desk when both Ray Arnold and John Hammond are in the shot when they discuss shutting down the systems, although it is not very obvious. There's also an Indigo Elan seen near Ray Arnold's desk. And the big red-glowing pillars that are the Thinking Machines CM-5 in the back, which is the only computer ever mentioned by name (Mr. DNA mentions it in his introduction video).

Edited by Daniël Oosterhuis

Hey how are these accelerators? I may just buy one now before they go out of stock...

I picked one up, it was worth it for the heatsink, not much else, I could never get it to work right in my 700, never bothered with the 900 or 950. YMMV.

You could always put a Q650 logic board in a Q700 case for the best of many worlds. Although, is there some way in which the Q700 onboard video is better than the Q650's?

Edited by trag