Sign in to follow this  
Challenger 1983

SD to SCSI

Holy snap, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Should this work with a 160?
Picked one up at a flea market that works almost perfectly, but I'd love to swap the ancient 80MB drive for something a bit more long-term stability.
...although, considering this drive was probably installed in '92/93, that's a fantastic lifespan.

Yes, this should work in any internal-SCSI Powerbook.  According to the project page, it's been tested on a number of them.

I've got one on order, hopefully it'll be in next week.
Seems I jumped on it in the nick of time too, they're sold out now.
Got a SDcard all prepared and ready for it with OS 7.6.1 and a bunch of apps/utils/games, which was more difficult than I thought it'd be.

Got mine in and it's defective. Think I've found the issue, waiting for the dev to confirm, and then I'll probably repair it.

you may need a third party hard drive utility to make it work.  The apple utility may not work.  My powerbook 540c didnt like the card I got until I used Hard Disk toolkit.  As they are not "apple branded" drives.

Mine ended up with one of the buffer chips installed backward. Gonna order a replacement and swap that out, should run good as new.
The SD card itself is built with a mostly-universal driver partition, so it should work as soon as I slap it in.
It's already got 7.6.1 installed with a bunch of apps and games, and tested with direct-device access in Basilisk II using the Powerbook 160 ROM.

Dealing with old HFS disks outside of a real mac is a pain.

Edited by Rajel