ktkm

SE/30 Start-up time

I saved an SE/30 with 64MB of RAM! Since I’m not used to this amount what is the normal boot-time? It takes approximately 50 seconds for the ”happy-mac” icon to do it’s thing in 32 bit mode (Mode 32 7.5), is this normal? Is it time for a re-cap?

/K

Its probably the RAM test doing its thing. Sometimes it takes awhile... If it hasn't been recapped yet, it is probably a good idea to recap. Also, if it still has the original PRAM battery, its probably worth removing it too.

Edited by Themk

Yeah it is literally checking every bit of ram at power on. So if you were to max it out to 128mb, expect that time to double.

I know the ROM-inator disables the startup memory check. I'm sure there are other ways to disable it as well.

I am not sure when it was added, but at some point if you hold the option key when opening the memory control panel, at least I think its option, an extra section comes up to disable start-up RAM check. Of course you need a good PRAM battery.

Its probably the RAM test doing its thing. Sometimes it takes awhile... If it hasn't been recapped yet, it is probably a good idea to recap. Also, if it still has the original PRAM battery, its probably worth removing it too.

Phew, that is comforting! Thanks!

Yeah it is literally checking every bit of ram at power on. So if you were to max it out to 128mb, expect that time to double.

I know the ROM-inator disables the startup memory check. I'm sure there are other ways to disable it as well.

That explains it! I have a ROM-inator II in my IIcx (with 20MB of RAM) and it boots in few seconds. I’ll think I’m gonna try it out in the SE/30.

I am not sure when it was added, but at some point if you hold the option key when opening the memory control panel, at least I think its option, an extra section comes up to disable start-up RAM check. Of course you need a good PRAM battery.

Great! I’ll will give it a try as well!

/ktkm

I just tried using "Hold Option while opening Memory", on System 7.5, on a SE/30, 8MB......

No go...

I also tried control, command, Option + Control,  Opt + Cmd,  Opt + Shift,  Opt + Cmd + Cont,......

Still, No go....

I'm just holding keys at random at this point...

So, if anybody finds it, let us know.... 

It'd be great to save that "10 seconds" of time.

Edited by jimjimx

I believe it was added with System 8.5 or 8.6. It's there in 9, not there in 8.1.  So Rominator is the only way for the older machines that I'm aware of. With '040 machines you're pretty much out of luck.

Extra RAM makes a huge difference, negatively, when it comes to startup time.

This is evident even when going from 1MB/2MB to 4MB. A 2MB Classic with System 6 can boot in under 20 seconds. A 4MB Classic will approach the 30 second mark with the same System 6 installation. 

Pluses are notoriously slow with 4MB as well. (Compare to a 1MB Plus for proof).

It's no surprise the SE/30 is like this when accessing that much RAM, even with a faster chip than either of the aforementioned models.

EDIT: Now I sort of want to take my SE/30 beyond 8MB...mmm, must resist the temptation, especially since I need to open it up soon to replace the dead hard drive inside!

Edited by Scott Baret

Now I sort of want to take my SE/30 beyond 8MB...mmm, must resist the temptation, especially since I need to open it up soon to replace the dead hard drive inside!

I'd say do it!! Then your computer will use the HD less for Virtual RAM. Bigger apps. Bigger files. And it's cheap!!

I have 68MB of RAM in my SE/30. It is fantastic! The additional boot up time during the RAM check doesn't bother me.

Edited by Themk