SE/30 Start-up time

SE SE/30 memory 64

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ktkm

ktkm
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:12 PM

I saved an SE/30 with 64MB of RAM! Since I’m not used to this amount what is the normal boot-time? It takes approximately 50 seconds for the ”happy-mac” icon to do it’s thing in 32 bit mode (Mode 32 7.5), is this normal? Is it time for a re-cap?

/K

#2 Themk

Themk

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:45 PM

Its probably the RAM test doing its thing. Sometimes it takes awhile... If it hasn't been recapped yet, it is probably a good idea to recap. Also, if it still has the original PRAM battery, its probably worth removing it too.

Edited by Themk, 16 February 2017 - 10:58 PM.

Macintosh SE FDHD, Macintosh SE/30, Apple IIgs ROM3, ImageWriter II.

Love programming for GS/OS and System 6/7.

#3 just.in.time

just.in.time

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:00 AM

Yeah it is literally checking every bit of ram at power on. So if you were to max it out to 128mb, expect that time to double.

I know the ROM-inator disables the startup memory check. I'm sure there are other ways to disable it as well.

#4 unity

unity
  • LocationGreen Bay, WI

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:02 AM

I am not sure when it was added, but at some point if you hold the option key when opening the memory control panel, at least I think its option, an extra section comes up to disable start-up RAM check. Of course you need a good PRAM battery.

• Drexel Macintosh • IIcx prototypes (4) • Don Crabb's Outbound 125 • Macintosh II/x/fx • Macintosh SE/30 • Macintosh SE • Macintosh Classic II Proto • Macintosh 512k • Macintosh 128k

#5 ktkm

ktkm
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

Its probably the RAM test doing its thing. Sometimes it takes awhile... If it hasn't been recapped yet, it is probably a good idea to recap. Also, if it still has the original PRAM battery, its probably worth removing it too.

Phew, that is comforting! Thanks!

Yeah it is literally checking every bit of ram at power on. So if you were to max it out to 128mb, expect that time to double.

I know the ROM-inator disables the startup memory check. I'm sure there are other ways to disable it as well.

That explains it! I have a ROM-inator II in my IIcx (with 20MB of RAM) and it boots in few seconds. I’ll think I’m gonna try it out in the SE/30.

I am not sure when it was added, but at some point if you hold the option key when opening the memory control panel, at least I think its option, an extra section comes up to disable start-up RAM check. Of course you need a good PRAM battery.

Great! I’ll will give it a try as well!

/ktkm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SE, SE/30, memory, 64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users