Photo

How hard can it be to create a replica PAL encoder card?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BadGoldEagle

BadGoldEagle

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

Hey folks.

My ][ Europlus didn't come with a PAL encoder (aka PAL colour card) when I bought it, therefore, it can only display 1 bit graphics... That sucks. A lot. Can't play games properly...

The schematic is available online (here). So I'm wondering, how hard can it be to produce a PCB from that schematic? I think most of the components on that card are still available. I'll need to double check that.

I'm a newbie when it comes to PCB design. So, sorry if that's a stupid question but what kind of files should I send in order to have a custom PCB made?

Thanks!

Apple%20PAL%20Encoder%20Card%20-%20Front

COOL STUFF: Working original & nearly complete 1984 Macintosh w/ Picasso kit, still looking for a G440 mouse :p, NIB Newton MessagePad from 1993, iMac G3 400MHz DV Graphite

IN THE WORKS: The outstanding SE/30 (50MHz Powercache, Pivot Display Color Graphics) but also non-working 512K Hyperdrive w/ Manuals & Disks, Mac Portable M5126, SE Dual 800k, Classic II, HD40SC, Apple Djinn... I have a lot of restorations going on!

#2 360alaska

360alaska
  • LocationNortheast Texas, US

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:00 PM

I'll design it for you for 100 dollars, but I get to work on it in my spare time, and, I'll need a sample apple II card for the dimensions. The only thing I see on there that might be a problem would be the "UHF modulator"

Update: also, C10 has no value.

Edited by 360alaska, 07 February 2017 - 10:08 PM.

#3 BadGoldEagle

BadGoldEagle

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:49 PM

Nice!

I'll ask around to see if there's a demand for a PAL Color card, so perhaps the two of us can turn out a little profit?

UHF Mod/C10: There's probably other sources of pictures/schematics online. I'll have a look and let you know if I find anything of interest.

COOL STUFF: Working original & nearly complete 1984 Macintosh w/ Picasso kit, still looking for a G440 mouse :p, NIB Newton MessagePad from 1993, iMac G3 400MHz DV Graphite

IN THE WORKS: The outstanding SE/30 (50MHz Powercache, Pivot Display Color Graphics) but also non-working 512K Hyperdrive w/ Manuals & Disks, Mac Portable M5126, SE Dual 800k, Classic II, HD40SC, Apple Djinn... I have a lot of restorations going on!

#4 360alaska

360alaska
  • LocationNortheast Texas, US

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:58 PM

just to clarify, for 100 I'll design a two layer pcb, you have to order it and populate it with components.

#5 Gorgonops

Gorgonops
  • Moderators

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:04 PM

I'm going to guess the PAL encoder chip is going to be devilishly difficult to source.

I hesitate to suggest it, but an alternative if you really want color would be to convert it to NTSC. Don't know what you're using for a monitor but if it's a newer TV a lot of sets sold in PAL regions are actually multiprotocol capable. On most motherboard revisions it's just a couple solder points and a crystal change.

http://www.applefritter.com/node/23779

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users