SE/30 on the internet: Ethernet vs localtalk

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Johnnya101

Johnnya101
  • LocationLancaster, NH

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

Hi all.

I'm wondering, since Ethernet cards are so expensive. Are they worth the extra money?

How much would a LocalTalk Ethernet bridge entire setup cost?

What works best?

Thanks!

resized.gif       BRENT RAMBO APPROVES

LOOKING FOR SE/30 STUFF!!!

#2 Gorgonops

Gorgonops

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:36 PM

Seems like there's been a run on Localtalk bridges on eBay lately, all the ones I turn up in a search that have RJ-45 Ethernet are running around the $40 mark. Here's a BIN of $38 for the particular adapter I use, comes with a PhoneNet dongle and all the cables you need. Of course, with the localtalk setup you need another machine to act as your bridge, which for TCP/IP will need to be a Mac running a piece of software I don't recall off the top of my head or a Linux/BSD box running macipgw, so factor that into your costs.

#3 Johnnya101

Johnnya101
  • LocationLancaster, NH

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:10 PM

Hmmm... I have a desktop mac in another room but I don't know how nice that would be. Probably cheaper and easier to get an actual card.

Speaking of that, anyone have one for sale? How much is a good price?

resized.gif       BRENT RAMBO APPROVES

LOOKING FOR SE/30 STUFF!!!

#4 Cory5412

Cory5412

Daring Pioneer of the Future

• Administrators
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:37 PM

You can run macipgw in a virtual machine, or you can run it on a Raspberry Pi if you've got one of those hanging out, or use a Mac to bridge MacIP/LocalTalk and TCP for "Internet" connectivity.

It really depends on what level of effort you want to put in, and perhaps your budget.

If you can set aside for the Ethernet card, that would be the easier option, but if you can not or if there aren't any availability, setting up MacIPGW or a bridge Mac (even something cheap and small like an LC) might be a good thing to have set up anyway.

If you set up an LC as both an LT/ET bridge and an IP Gateway, you can set up nearly any number nodes on a localtalk network and they will all get the benefits of that system. It could be a nice way to set up a few machines that'll need this access, especially for things where Ethernet is expensive or uncommon. (SE/30, IIsi, PowerBooks.)

#5 mraroid

mraroid
  • LocationIbarra Ecuador (formally from Portland Oregon USA)

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

I have a color classic and some PCs running linux and windows.  I do have a network card for my color classic.  I can get on the web and surf, but have not figured out how to read my email on the color classic.  I use gmail. 

Any thoughts?

mraroid

#6 Cory5412

Cory5412

Daring Pioneer of the Future

• Administrators
  • LocationArizona, USA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

If gmail.com won't work in basic HTML mode on whatever browsers you have handy, there's no other hope, really.

The next best choice is to put alpine on one of your Linux computers and use an SSH client on the CC to connect to the Linux computer and read mail on the CC.

There's also the possibility to set up an internal email server that does not use SSL or other encryption at all, but that might be a lot more effort.

#7 mraroid

mraroid
  • LocationIbarra Ecuador (formally from Portland Oregon USA)

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Thank you Cory5412.  I will read up on how to use an SSH client on the CC to connect to the Linux computer and read mail on the CC.  Once I digest that, I might head back and ask a follow up question.  Let me hit the books first.  Thanks!

mraroid

#8 avadondragon

avadondragon
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:58 PM

Actually I'm pretty certain that you can still use the POP/IMAP service of gmail through the old email clients (like Eudora v3, Claris Emailer, Mulberry, etc) that will run on the SE/30.

Gmail setup instructions for: POP and IMAP

Edit: Oh, and to weigh in on the OP's original question I would say for the SE/30 the network card probably is worth the extra money.  The older compact mac's with 68000 CPUs don't see a huge speed difference between just using LocalTalk vs Ethernet but on the SE/30 it is a pretty nice step up.  Also, it greatly reduces the complexity of your setup.  Unless you HAVE multiple old Macs with a newer (but still ancient) Mac with a serial port AND Ethernet to use as a bride you probably shouldn't go the LocalTalk rout.  You CAN just buy a dedicated hardware bridge and set up MacIPgw on a Linux box (maybe a Raspberry-pi) but it will be a much messier and slower setup.

Edited by avadondragon, 12 January 2017 - 08:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users