bibilit

Factory modified Powerbook 100 logic boards

I have been working in a few Powerbook 100 lately.

among those some were modified, i think by Sony before delivery, not all were modified at the same place.

i can post some pictures.

Any clue concerning those modifications ?

Since the PB100 was basically a miniaturized Macintosh Portable, I'm guessing that they could have been experimenting with things before launch.

What is actually modified?

Certain repairs are common on old Macintosh motherboards.

If it something like wiring connecting random points on the motherboard, then this is really common up through the II and Quadra eras. Basically, it was an in-situ repair on something where the manufacturing didn't come out exactly correctly. If only one or two traces didn't work, they would fix it by soldering and fixing wires into place instead of rejecting that board.

I've come across perhaps 20 PB100 boards that have the same thing.. some no mods and some with mods.. and they vary I think... Notice to the very right next to the power jack the revisions are different with modded and non-modded boards... might add some clues.. maybe some were not made properly at different factories??? I do know they had a recall on the PB100 for overheating supposedly.. so there was an RMA on them back in the day.. but only on certain serial numbers.. and if we all remember many serial numbers with Apple indicate factory locations...

some pictures, 

post-1736-0-34533100-1484155590_thumb.jpg

top right of the picture and surrounding the HD connector

post-1736-0-15280600-1484155607_thumb.jpg

In the middle of the picture, near the daughter board connector

I should make pictures of the other one, mods are heavy.

Yeah all my PB100 logic boards have wires run for fixing errors and most have the power connector repair too, although I think that was usually an aftermarket repair

James what did the power connector repair look like? I just resolder and add more solder..

I'm afraid I'm not at home right now but if I remember (or remind me!) I'll throw up a photo here for you