itsvince725

Vince's Conquests

First of all, I'm installing 95 OSR2 as its the only version of 95 I use. And second of all, I did in fact run a surface scan and it found zero bad sectors. It's a 2113MB Seagate drive that has a 2042MB DOS partition so it's just under 2GB.

Hmm, that's weird!

Have you let it just sit there and thrash away for a bit? Maybe it'll work past it if it sits for awhile.

c

'95 does a whole lot of disk thrashing during the installation when it's trying to detect non Plug and Play hardware though it's only supposed to be ~60 second max.

Yeah, this machine's done that for as long as I'm willing to put up with the racket, a lot longer than 60 seconds.

How weird, all of my problems were because somehow the drive got partitioned as FAT16 instead of FAT32. Repartitioned it, made sure it was FAT32, and bam, it works!

I recall when I used to own a Compaq prolinea machine, that the bios was actually software that you had to install on a specific partition on the hard disk, which also is the system save partition for suspends/resumes. 

Good thing is the system setup/BIOS is full GUI with mouse support once your in it. But it did require the diskettes to get it going. Just like the PS/2 and their reference disks. It also had a very "Windows 3.1" interface. 

Edited by techknight

Yeah, that's exactly how the BIOS is on that Compaq.

Right now I'm struggling with sound on that XPS though, I installed drivers for the sound card (A Soundblaster Vibra 16) but I get an "Incorrect MIDIPORT setting in the SYSTEM.INI file" error I can't seem to fix, I have no sound, and the card doesn't even show up in Device Manager.

EDIT: Turns out the Found New Hardware Wizard was the trick! Glorious sound!

Edited by itsvince725

5 hours ago, itsvince725 said:

How weird, all of my problems were because somehow the drive got partitioned as FAT16 instead of FAT32. Repartitioned it, made sure it was FAT32, and bam, it works!

Hmm, that totally disproves my earlier advice. Forget what I said!

Apparently it's not valid for OSR2.x (aka, Win 95 B/C), but it should still be for RTM and OSR1 (95 A?) and everything before (DOS, Win 3.x, etc).

4 hours ago, techknight said:

I recall when I used to own a Compaq prolinea machine, that the bios was actually software that you had to install on a specific partition on the hard disk, which also is the system save partition for suspends/resumes.

What a nuisance! Especially if the hard drive dies, which is not uncommon. What if the floppy drive (or the hard drive, for that matter) is an irreplaceable and unfixable proprietary part and it dies? Seems to me the computer pretty much dies with it, then.

c

Yeah, I always install OSR2.5. FAT32 and stability improvements always make it worthwhile.

Of course, I probably could have just installed 98SE...

Yeah, OSR 2.5 is, for all intents and purposes, 98 FE with slightly worse USB support (OSR 2.5 is basically identical to OSR 2.1, except the IE 4 installer is set to autorun at first boot.

98 does have some important enhancements over any version of 95, though, such as better USB support (especially in 98SE).

c

Compaqs do have some kind of BIOS built in, but you have to install a setup program from floppy to configure everything else and that setup is saved on a hard drive partition. If the HD is dead and floppy drive is dead then you have problems, but all machines are like that. Dead PRAM batteries can keep Macs from working as well (same for MCA and EISA machines).

For early Pentiums I think Win95A without IE installed is perfect since those machines don't have USB anyway.

FAT16 means you formatted the drive with DOS or equivalent and for 2GB or smaller HDs that perfectly fine.

Later versions of w95 integrated explorer with IE so it can't be removed without problems. Some people did figure out how to ditch the early IEs from 95.

My point was that the earlier lightweight W95 is good for original Pentium machines with low ram and slow CPU and still plays games fine. IE pre version 6 is pretty much useless anymore (heck the version on Win7 sucks enough I use firefox)

12 minutes ago, itsvince725 said:

I do wish there was a way to strip IE out since I'll never use it but what can you do.

http://www.litepc.com/

95lite/98lite is where it's at for stripping out IE and other non-essential apps.  I used to run 98lite setting up crappy machines for friends/family (which helped performance considerably on lowly machines), but now in a retro sense IE is useful to have on any retro computer though unless you are really tight on HD and RAM space.  I'm not bothering to use it now.

Edited by Byrd

14 minutes ago, Unknown_K said:

Later versions of w95 integrated explorer with IE so it can't be removed without problems. Some people did figure out how to ditch the early IEs from 95.

My point was that the earlier lightweight W95 is good for original Pentium machines with low ram and slow CPU and still plays games fine. IE pre version 6 is pretty much useless anymore (heck the version on Win7 sucks enough I use firefox)

Well I mean, even though it's a Pentium 100 the previous owner stuck 80MB of RAM in it so it runs pretty good. 

For 95 C, you can modify setup to not install IE by simply deleting the IE setup files (I've done it, so I know). Windows setup will complain bitterly, but 95 as a whole will install successfully. However, if you want IE without all the webby desktop business (you want to keep the simpler 95 Explorer UI), just delete the .cab's related to the Active Desktop Update (or whatever it's called; I don't remember anymore).

As I said earlier, 95 C without IE is identical to 95 B.

c