tact

SE30 cd 68mb Diimo 50 Radius color Full recap Complete almost..

If you put the SD card in a modern Mac, it can read the files on it no problem.  Can't write to it though.

If anybody knows of a program to make an actual image of SCSI2SD SD cards, I have actually been curious about that lately myself!

With osx you can do a DD command to clone drives with terminal, super simple:

dd if=/dev/rdiskx of=disk.img bs=512

dev/rdisx is your sd card - run diskutil list to find what its path is. 

Edited by chu-oh

Cool Thanks Glad I kept my old imacg3 I'll try backup on there someday when I have room for another mac XD.

For now a lot of sites won't let me access downloads directly from the macintosh and instead of downloading on pc and writing to discs to transfer files etc..

I finally managed to setup a working FTP Folder on my current windows10 pc that can be accessed from my good ol macintosh to transfer files directly. It still takes a long time because I'm not on ethernet I am using a dialup modem on the macintosh and the "dreampi" dialup adapter to my lan/internet. goes like 1.3K/s lol takes like 10 minutes for a couple megs hahah

Bolo is a networked tank game.  Up to 16 players.  It works fine over dialup.  The problem is that the game's network performance is only as good as the slowest connection. :)

Works on System 6 or newer.  B&W or color.

I tried Vette its interesting like the first 3d game ever lol but its so hard to play and i cant even figure out where to go XD  I couldn't imagine it multiplayer is it over IP ? I thought just local link.

Lets try this Bolo game too someday it looks funny.

Right now I'm just trying to fix quicktime with the musical instruments and movie player lol somewhere along the line of installing and updating things quicktime I think 2.5 was installed and messed up my old stuff, I don't think the musical instruments extension will run its not compatible with 2.5 I think it only works up to QT2.1. Then my "movie player" is gone and apparently doesn't come with newer versions of qt? It always worked before but now its all screwy and games like Marathon require musical instruments extension to play music in game, But then I thought I put qt2.1 and got musical instruments working but then Marathon was freezing when I started a game. I'll figure it out! ><

Good news though I tried my Reset button the other day and it seems to work fine now. what a mystery that was, the button itself always functioned fine, but the computer wouldn't actually reboot. it would just shut off the screen and come back up frozen.

It's been about 1 year since the last post was made to this thread, but I came across it today while pondering a recap of my own DiiMO 50MHz accelerator card.  From what I understand those 5 silver electrolytic capacitors on the chip side of the board are 22uF 6.3V.  Mouser has drop-in replacements for about $0.5 each in 5pc quantities (Panasonic EEE-FP0J220AR).  They are rated at 2000h at 105°C and have a rather low 0.85-ohm ESR.  I thought about tantalum (to avoid future leakage issues), but they are expensive and could go up in flames if you don't voltage spec them at 10V or 16V.  That's why I pondering 10V 22uF Niobium Oxide replacements now.  Mouser has them for $0.75 each in 5pc quantities.  They won't burn, have only a 20% voltage derating (versus 50% for tantalum), and a low (but not too low) ESR of 700m-ohms.  The only potential caveat is the small 1210 (3528) package size, which is a mere 3.5mm long.  I've not yet removed a stock cap to see how close the pads are, but if they are close enough for a 3.5mm body then these Niobium caps may be the perfect replacement solution.

By the way, tact, I see you recapped your analog board too.  The film cap you are using for C15 fits quite nicely.  What part number did you use?  I am considering recapping my own analog boards using the 25.3mm long (Panasonic ECW-FD2W395J) but it looks to be a tight fit.

On 11/7/2017 at 7:29 PM, tact said:

...Also got the updated v2.6 rom chip for the radius card and updated my se/30 card from 1.0 =)

However I might do what others did and use the iisi card if i ever get an asante ethernet in there as well !

post-1378-0-95664300-1510111657_thumb.jpg

@tact where did you get ROM chip for your Radius card?  I need one for my NuBus Radius PrecisionColor 8-Xj discussed here.

THs

Von, I actually have one of those cards.  Never used it.  It has only 8 sockets for the RAM and they all are empty.

I will check my ROM version tomorrow and post what it is, but what is the latest version?

@JDW this is the ROM on my NuBus Radius PrecisionColor 8-Xj:

On 10/8/2018 at 10:03 PM, Von said:

I started with the Radius card with no software installed.  I noticed a Jumper JP1 see at the lower right of the chip with the sticker on it:

20181008-2018-10-08_17_44.56_MDR.thumb.jpg.41daffd1a027b05227842a3df542ca67.jpg

It is hard see in this photo but it has 3 pins. In each NuBus slot I tried the card with the jumper in each position (leftmost pins, rightmost pins, and off). In all 9 cases Slot Info was not able to see the Radius card.

It lists v1.5 however there are later versions.

Are you saying you have this NuBus card that has had its RAM removed?

On 11/8/2018 at 2:06 AM, JDW said:

By the way, tact, I see you recapped your analog board too.  The film cap you are using for C15 fits quite nicely.  What part number did you use?  I am considering recapping my own analog boards using the 25.3mm long (Panasonic ECW-FD2W395J) but it looks to be a tight fit.

That's the part I've used on my SE30 recaps and it fits fine (it looks just like the pictures in this thread). I used some heat shrink tubing on one of the legs that has to fold back under to get both legs in the holes. 

8 minutes ago, JDW said:

My Radius Pivot PDS card (for SE/30) has a 1992 date printed on the ROM, version 2.2.  U6 & U7 are soldered RAM (VRAM?) and there are 6 RAM sockets free.  I just posted 4 high resolution photos to my Flickr account:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=66071596%40N00&amp;sort=date-taken-desc&amp;text=Pivot&amp;view_all=1

Sound like it would be good if he could dump the 2.6 ROM, since it appear to be the latest one of which anyone is aware.

But even if Von performs a ROM-dump, will that version 2.6 ROM work on all board revisions?  Consider the board in my Flickr photo here.  Note the Radius chips is dated 1990 and has 297-0309 printed on it.  Now consider that the same chip on Von's board is dated 1991 and has 297-0587 printed on it.  How are we to know what ROM versions work with what chips and board revisions?  It would seem trial-and-error would be the only way.

2 hours ago, JDW said:

You used the stock C15 holes without drilling, superjer2000?

For sure...  no reason to drill. I just bent one of the leads of the capacitor back against the bottom of the capacitor and then at 90 degrees to parallel to the other lead with the right spacing  as noted I put some heat shrink tubing around the bent lead (but didn't "shrink" it. I've done this on probably 6 boards now. 

1 hour ago, superjer2000 said:

That's the part I've used on my SE30 recaps and it fits fine (it looks just like the pictures in this thread)...  no reason to drill... 

Thanks for the confirmation!  I'm prepping to go on a recapping frenzy, doing three SE/30 analog boards and a couple SONY PSUs (even though my SEASONIC PSU swap was a success -- I'm putting the finishing touches on a video I made about that now, actually).  Here's my Mouser Cart (choose English if it displays in Japanese -- I'm in Japan).  I'm also planning a recap of my DiiMO 50MHz 68030 accelerator, which has 5pcs of 22uf 6.3V aluminum electrolytics that are over 20 years old. I'm considering using a 10V 22uF Niobium Oxide cap, which is a solid material like tantalum (i.e., it will never leak even 25 years hence) and it won't burn due to over-voltage like a tantalum and it won't fail shorted either.  The body is small enough to fit easily onto the existing PCB pads too.  Anyway, thanks!

2 hours ago, JDW said:

But even if Von performs a ROM-dump, will that version 2.6 ROM work on all board revisions?  Consider the board in my Flickr photo here.  Note the Radius chips is dated 1990 and has 297-0309 printed on it.  Now consider that the same chip on Von's board is dated 1991 and has 297-0587 printed on it.  How are we to know what ROM versions work with what chips and board revisions?  It would seem trial-and-error would be the only way.

Essentially. It doesn't seem like there would be any harm in trying though. Plus, I suspect a high degree of success. If his board could make the jump from 1.0 to 2.6, it seems as though it would work for any version before 2.6

Edited by Paralel

So long as we can all find an easy way to get our ROMs updated and give it a try, I'm all for it!  :-)

Also, what amount of VRAM is required?  As you can see on my board I have only 2 of the 8 VRAM slots filled.  I would assume that my board could support monochrome or perhaps grayscale whereas a full set of VRAM chips would be required for color?  In any case, where would we find these?

Should be as easy as programming a new EPROM. Just have to match the type, program the image, and you're off to the races.

Any hits if you do a parts search number for that VRAM?

I'm mixed up in two different threads, do bear with me:

Radius DeclROM revision should be backward compatible for any given card. I tested backward compatibility and even a clock change for TylerEss across two different NuBus card models with no problem. The incompatibility was determined to be RAMDAC capability limitations of the (older?) less capable card we were trying to goose up.

I can't imagine having trouble with updating the ROM to any version along the line for any given card, but also I don't see any reason to do so. They're incremental improvements for compatibility with other hardware /software. As far as the amount of VRAM goes, that has to do with grayscale/color depth, not grayscale OR color.

JDW, snag one of macmetex's cheap RCPII/IIsi cards and install that ROM in your problematic SE/30 card.

If anyone has a dead card, soldered ZIP VRAM can be harvested and installed in empty sockets.

TL/DR:

The reason to upgrade ROM, which is why Tact did so, was an issue with software compatibility, if I'm not mistaken. So, there is definitely a reason, its just an edge case.

5 hours ago, Paralel said:

The reason to upgrade ROM, which is why Tact did so, was an issue with software compatibility, if I'm not mistaken. So, there is definitely a reason, its just an edge case.

I guess I'm not understanding. Any incompatibility fixed by a specific ROM upgrade should still be supported by any later ROM revision. Whenever documentation states that Version x.x.x is required that's describing the state of developments at that particular point in time. Versions y.y.y and z.z.z will have remained compatible unless there really is an edge case where overlapping OS and driver compatibility may have come up. Can't say as I remember that ever happening, but it's something I would definitely have remembered if I'd read it.

4 hours ago, joethezombie said:

@BadGoldEagle uploaded the 2.6 ROM if you want to burn it yourself.  I haven't seen Macmetex list his stock on eBay for quite some time now.  I wonder if he finally ran out?

That would be very sad if his buckets full of the things are indeed emptied at long last.

44 minutes ago, Trash80toHP_Mini said:

I guess I'm not understanding. Any incompatibility fixed by a specific ROM upgrade should still be supported by any later ROM revision. Whenever documentation states that Version x.x.x is required that's describing the state of developments at that particular point in time. Versions y.y.y and z.z.z will have remained compatible unless there really is an edge case where overlapping OS and driver compatibility may have come up. Can't say as I remember that ever happening, but it's something I would definitely have remembered if I'd read it....

For some reason his 1.0 ROM did not work with his software, but the 2.6 ROM fixed it. I think it had something to do with 32-bit compatibility?