Sign in to follow this  
TimHD

Which Nubus Ethernet card - Farallon PN590A-TP or DaynaPort E/11-T?

Have a Mac IIfx and 2 Nubus Ethernet cards to choose from to put in it:

- Farallon PN590a-TP V1.3 NuBus Ethernet card and 

- DaynaPort E/11-T Rev A NuBus Ethernet card

The latter looks smaller, more compact (fewer chips), and has a RJ45 10baseT adapter only. The Farallon one has AAUI and 10BaseT connectors and is larger, with more chips etc.

Any real difference between these for networking/compatability. 

Have largely used Asante and Farallon (or Apple) cards, not DaynaPorts ones. Any difference?

Edited by TimHD

I dont think it matters, as I believe the later versions of the Apple Ethernet extension supports all those cards. 

The biggest difference I think would be throughput, how close can you push to the 10MBPs between the cards? But again I dont think thats gonna matter either because the storage bus is slow. 

Edited by techknight

I've found that Dayna cards will sometimes only work with their drivers installed, but Farallon will work with the default Apple NB driver.  My vote would be for the Farallon.

Edited by olePigeon

Seems DaynaPort E/II works best under 7.5.5/7.5.3 OT1.3 and not the 7.1 / 7.1.2 I have been trying. Looks like Farrallon for the 7.1 system and DaynaPort for the 7.5.5 one.

Old thread, but I'd thought I'd mention that Apple's NuBUS ethernet card is easily the best card of them all.  The A/ROSE makes a VERY big different on slower machines.  Even on my 040 accelerated IIci, my network speeds were noticeably faster.