Sign in to follow this  
CodeMonkeyZA

Serial Network Programming

Hi,

So, I would like to do some "network" programming on my Macintosh SE/30, if it is possible. I am fairly versed in C, and I was hoping that I would be able to listen to as well as write to the ports. Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate any reference to how it might be possible to do this. Does anyone know how to listen to a port using C, or any other programming language for that matter?

During my search, I saw someone was able to communicate to an Arduino using a vintage Mac, so I assume it must be possible to read and write to the ports... Any suggestions?

Thanks a ton!

CM

You also might want to look into AppleTalk programming.  That's Apple's special network protocol that ran over the serial port (and later the ethernet port called EtherTalk.)  Lots of games and software used AppleTalk.

Thanks for the replies!

The Inside Macintosh links really helped! Using it, I was able to send a stream of data over the serial port to control my Raspberry Pi! The plan now is to implement some home automation with the Mac as the control  ;) 

Thanks a lot guys  :)

Sounds like an awesome project!

Please do keep us up to date on your progress. It would also be neat to see a repository of any code you make for the project, for preservation/collaboration/etc. ;)

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge you should use the Mam for Mac OS.

Using the MAc you can directly you can directly use the serial ports for programming.

Serial port is directly usable in Mac.