360alaska

3D-Printed Objects

Another part I'd like to see are those little covers for the battery holders. I know they aren't necessary, but I still like to put them on out of habit and completeness. I occasionally will get a machine without one.

I also just ordered a used Makerbot 5th gen that somebody found in a storage locker. Got a 2k printer for a steal :) .

Edited by 360alaska

We've had nothing but issues with our Makerbot 2X.  Spent probably as much money on fixes and upgrades as we did on the original printer, and it still doesn't work correctly.

I'm afraid Makerbot has permanently ruined my experience with extrusion 3D printers.

I've had a poor experience with a Makerbot Replicator 2. That thing loved to just randomly quit laying filament and instead wrap it around the extruder. Even had Makerbot people out to check it out and couldn't figure out why. I'd imagine the newer machines are better being as they're still in business however.

I've had a poor experience with a Makerbot Replicator 2. That thing loved to just randomly quit laying filament and instead wrap it around the extruder. Even had Makerbot people out to check it out and couldn't figure out why. I'd imagine the newer machines are better being as they're still in business however.

Ours used to do that.  Ended up buying a new extruder nozzel.  We've also replaced the heating element, the heating block, the build plate, the arms, and the data cable (twice.)  Most of the plastic parts were replaced with machined aluminum because it would shake itself apart when trying to print.  Now it doesn't shake itself apart, but we can't get the first layer of filament to lay down and stick to the build plate.  We've tried the original build plate, we've tried a glass build plate, with and without the tape, we've tried using sprayon stuff that's supposed to work.  We've had several people calibrate it, and it just won't lay down that first layer correctly.

Now we're looking at buying a 3rd party heated build plate.  I have to wonder how much is too much before we should just buy a different brand.

Ideally I'd like to get a powder or resin based printer, but they're just too expensive.

To top it off, they keep sending us emails about new upgrades that don't work with our printer, and asking us how our experience is with our Makerbot.  I've been brutally honest every time, and they reply with a, "We'll talk to *insert so and so* and see what we can do."

Then absolutely nothing happens until I get another SPAM about "great" upgrades and products from Makerbot, asking us how our experience has been.

What material are you printing? I don't have a lot of issues with my i3. I just use painters tape and sometimes gluestick.

Edited by 360alaska

Ideally I'd like to get a powder or resin based printer, but they're just too expensive.

I can send you the link to build a nice diy resin printer for less than $250 or something like that.

Has someone shared the 400k/800k floppy drive gear that gets munched up when the grease hardens?  I can fix at least two drives with this object.  I've got a MakerBot Replicator 2 that runs fine (bought it used).

Just finished printing the Mac Portable battery box (5 hours 5 mins on CTC3D printer 20% infill with raft, but probably didn't need that), many thanks 360alaska.  Am fixing up two Portables, one a recapped unit I did a few years ago - never got so far as the first 10 seconds before shutting down ... obviously a battery issue.  Hoping it'll fire up with a new battery.  The second Portable my brother just purchased and will need a full overhaul.  

The casing of your design is great how it hugs the battery so snugly.  I have some copper pieces to slot into the little wells, what did you use to glue down yours?

Thanks

JB

Edited by Byrd

the Mac Portable battery box /  I have some copper pieces to slot into the little wells, what did you use to glue down yours?

I hot glue the copper strips into the spots in the plastic. I have designed a better battery box:

post-2640-0-07068100-1476751419_thumb.jpgpost-2640-0-76794900-1476751352_thumb.jpgpost-2640-0-52810700-1476751340_thumb.jpgpost-2640-0-67344800-1476751310_thumb.jpgpost-2640-0-37281000-1476751296_thumb.jpgpost-2640-0-82745400-1476751274_thumb.jpg

portabattery30.stl.zip

Edited by Bunsen

Is anyone 3D printing Quadra 6x0/Power Mac 61xx feet?

I would love to. I have two 660AVs with maybe two complete feet between the two of them.

But I don't have a printer. Or resin. Or know where to start.

I have a 2-4K budget and want to get a 3D printer that can print bezels, feet and other Mac plastics. Does anyone have direct knowledge of what make/model(s) I should look at?

As well, what plastic should I use? I plan to eventually come up with a nice match for Beige/Platinum through research and trial and error. However, I want to get off the ground so I need some guidance on which resin to use for basic prototyping.

I know what I want to do. I used to run imagesetters so I have a decent mindset for getting through the learning curve. I would love some pointers on where to start my research... feel free to PM me to keep from clogging up the thread (pardon the pun...).

Edited by danpoarch