Simon_Carr

Fitting a SCSI2SD in a 68k Mac

Ok, so you pretty much ruled that possibility out. I would again check with SCSI Probe/LIDO and see what it is that you find, and then hopefully we can help more from there.

5 hours ago, LaPorta said:

Ok, so you pretty much ruled that possibility out. I would again check with SCSI Probe/LIDO and see what it is that you find, and then hopefully we can help more from there.

SCSI Probe (thanks a lot LaPorta!) found the card which I presume is good news! :-) I will double-check the settings once again. There are plenty of other options that might or might not be checked/enabled as well.

6 hours ago, BadGoldEagle said:

@BL!

1/ Is the device terminated? Check the box on the 'general' tab of scsi2sd-util

2/ If you're using the unpatched version of HD SC Setup, you can only format drives that have the apple firmware. How did you configure the vendor and product IDs on your SCSI2SD?

From the OP:

This is the settings I'm having now (should I alter anything?):

image.png.64a65dfe78fa9203d8db482d3547ed89.png

image.png.d1753bf8f4557862ba5e2d8d11d1d9e2.png

44 minutes ago, LaPorta said:

I will send you Lido as well in a bit. If it can see it, you may be able to format it.

I'm actually accessing the SCSI2SD right now with the Apple HD SC Setup v7. 3.5 (initializing right now), so happy days, real progress being made here now!

:)

I wonder if it was the space in the version number or something?

Thanks for the help, guys! ;)

THat's usually the way to go: formatting the SD card either on the machine it will be used with on the  SCSI2SD or equivalent seems to be the easiest way to go about it.

I swear this "simple project" is going to kill me.

Now I'm the proud owner of a 3.5" floppy drive and a bunch of disks. I fired up Macdisk, formatted a floppy and copied over System 7.5.3 Disk 1. Macdisk asks if I want to break the .bin? Sure? Macdisk crashes.

Ok. Let's try again. No don't break the .bin. File copies to the disk and the mac wont boot.

So .bin must not be the preferred file format. Except no compression program I've tried on Windows or OSX will uncompress these files.

Has anyone got any ideas?

They extract an .smi file that I can't open either.

Windows, OSX, and Basilisk can't open these .smi's. Actually Basilisk can open it but I can't extract a usable format to copy to a floppy.

I can't be the first person to ever try and copy to a physical floppy.

Edited by rotten03

An SMI is a Self Mounting Image (disk mounting app and disk image bundled into one), not sure if you can do anything with those on a modern machine... It looks like there are regular images for System 7.5 here:http://www.macgeek.org/downloads/ Maybe try "DTools75.zip". My MacBook Pro (macOS High Sierra) unzips that one to a folder with an .img file that it can actually mount.

9 hours ago, BL! said:

This is the settings I'm having now (should I alter anything?):

image.png.64a65dfe78fa9203d8db482d3547ed89.png

image.png.d1753bf8f4557862ba5e2d8d11d1d9e2.png

Hmm, I only got a 20MB-ish HD with the above parameters. Also, it felt kind of slow (took like half an hour to initialize), anyone see any that should be changed in the above?

11 hours ago, rotten03 said:

They extract an .smi file that I can't open either.

Windows, OSX, and Basilisk can't open these .smi's.

Using a hex editor you can isolate and extract the disk image to an independent file.

11 hours ago, Fizzbinn said:

The .bin file is likely a BinHex file, on a classic Mac I use Aladdin StuffIt Expander to decode these.

No, it's more likely a MacBinary file, which Stuffit Expander will also decode.

BinHex extensions were: hqx, hcx and hex. These latter two are quite ancient, dating from around 1984-85 when Binhex was an MS BASIC program.

@BL!

General settings are ok.

My Device 1 is configured as shown in the picture. This works on my SE/30 with OS 7.5.3.

I formated the disk with this configuration with Lido and had success. In Lido I divided it in 4 drives with 2 GB.

Konfiguration Macintosh 8GB.jpg

Edited by dochilli

On my Plus I used these configuration.

If I remember right, I had the same problem that there were only 20 MB formatted with Apples HD formatter.

I do not remember right, how I got the 2GB formatted, but as far as I remember, I used Lido afterwords or I formatted it from the Special menue (Erase Disk).

Here is the information of a post I made in this thread:

I used the description of MOS8_030. The vendor etc. were Seagate and ST225N. Device Size: 8 GB; HD SC Setup formated 20 MB. OS 6.0.8

Then I was able to format the 8 GB SD with Lido 7.56. I installed 4 Partitions (First 1 GB; 2-4: 2GB). Formatting and partitioning was done in Lido. Now I have 4 drives mounted and the plus booted from the first partition. For me Lido worked and produced a bootable SCSI2SD. When I tried this some weeks ago, it did not work. My SCSI2SD has firmware 4.8 (former was 4.7) and I use the newest software. I think the settings in the general settings tab are very important for creating bootable SCSI2SD for a Mac plus.

Hope this will help...

Konfiguration Macintosh 8GB Plus Settings.jpg

Konfiguration Macintosh 8GB Plus.jpg

The Seagate ST225N you're setting the product ID to *is* a 21mb hard drive. (It's the drive Apple stuck in the original 20MB external box for the Mac Plus.) I've seen that recommendation to set the Product ID to that in order to get the SCSI2SD to work with Apple's unmodified formatter software for System 6 (Apple used to tie their formatter to only work with drives they sold), but if you're planning to run System 7 or higher it may not be a brilliant choice. It sure seems like what's going on here is when the Apple formatter sees that Product ID it's not bothering to query the drive for its full size and is instead just hard-coded-ly generating a 21MB format.

Apple HD SC Setup expects a certain number of characters when it reads the drive’s firmware. If a space was missing no wonder it didn’t show up. 

Lido or Silverlining will set up the drive correctly no matter the firmware. 

10 hours ago, Dog Cow said:

No, it's more likely a MacBinary file, which Stuffit Expander will also decode.

BinHex extensions were: hqx, hcx and hex. These latter two are quite ancient, dating from around 1984-85 when Binhex was an MS BASIC program.

I stand corrected! Thanks.

3 hours ago, BadGoldEagle said:

Lido or Silverlining will set up the drive correctly no matter the firmware. 

I always just used a hacked version of HC SC Setup; there's a simple ResEdit hack that disables the firmware signature checking. Supposedly the version on the A/UX setup disks also doesn't do signature checks and works fine for regular MacOS.