toples50

Unknown card in PDS slot

Recently purchased a Quadra 650(68040/33) and today I opened and discovered a mystery card in the PDS slot.The card is Formac ProQuadra 50 v1.8.Any idea what this card does?

I think I fix the problem with pics.Whats the point to have an '040 card inside an '040 machine?Also I don't have the drivers so the card its unusable...

Edited by toples50

I'm sure formac got bought out and was long since gone on the Internet by being badged as something else.

Look for an extension of the hard drive still boots as you may already have a driver installed.

Ugh darn then defiantly use the ideas listed.  Maybe do a search for formac and see if they were bought out , if so the new company may be on the internet and the drivers they have would work.

Formac sold the PCI Proformance III video card which was a contemporary with such cards as the ixMicro Ultimate Res and the ATI Rage.  Early 3D support.

So they were still around for a few years after the age of the Quadras.

I used to keep up with the upgrade market pretty well, and I don't remember such a Quadra upgrade, but that's certainly what it looks like.  It must have been kind of obscure.  Perhaps only sold in the European market?

I think I fix the problem with pics.Whats the point to have an '040 card inside an '040 machine?Also I don't have the drivers so the card its unusable...

Yep, faster clock as TWF said. From the looks of that very high surface area heat sink/active cooling fan setup and the name on the sticker, I'm guessing 50MHz. That'd be quite the kick in the pants. Gotta find my ScanDUMP files for the rest of the Accelerator review pages. An earlier review that doesn't mention your next gen card in this thread:

June, 1992_MacUser_Accelerators_Compared

edit:

@oP: schweet!!!!! [ ;)]

Edited by Trash80toHP_Mini

In another question about the Quadra.Which OS is the best(more stable,faster) for the config(68040/33,56MB ram) 7.5.5 or 7.6.1?

It really depends on the software and hardware that you wish to add to the basic machine. There are many graphics cards which will work well with System 7.1.x or 7.5.x, perhaps not 7.6.x. Ditto for image grabbers, graphics accelerators etc. 7.6.1 is usually more stable, but it might be worthwhile buying a hard disk to swap in and out. Personally, I'd start out trying to run System 7.1.

Formac products were distributed in most European countries from the start of the company. I used a Formac monitor for many years and encountered many expansion cards in 68K Macs at work. It is likely that your PDS card was reviewed in at least one of the European Mac magazines in the early 1990s. Early Formac products (basic graphics cards, LC family accelerators) appear to have been designed in house, alongside rebadged/reworked CRT displays. More advanced products (3dfx graphics cards, LCD displays, G3 accelerators) were developed with partners with Formac input.

Have you had a look at Waybackmachine to see if any Formac pages have been archived?

Have you used a system utility to see how your Mac is described? A PDS accelerator often works without any drivers.

Depends on the software really. 7.5.5 is fun to install off floppy but after 22 disks I'd rather do 7.5 on cd then small update to 7.6.1.

Depends on the software really. 7.5.5 is fun to install off floppy but after 22 disks I'd rather do 7.5 on cd then small update to 7.6.1.

Install System 7.x from floppies? You only need to do this once or twice.

Copy the disk images onto a Zip drive or external hard disk. Boot the Mac from floppy disk and run MountImage. Or boot from the Network Access Disk and connect to an AppleShare volume hosting the OS disk images.