galgot

PowerBop part II

Incredibly, another PowerBop appeared on ebay-fr about a week and half ago. Scored it .

That one is complete with the antenna and second SCSI port on the side. Was sold without charger, was a first hand, bought in 1994, not used much. The owner trashed the charger, ext floppy drive and all documentation a few years ago ...

The thing is like new, very good condition. Booted on first try, on a Zip. had to mount the internal drive with Disk First Aid, then it could boot on it and runs fine on it now . Good to have at least one PB1xx with a working HD 

This one also has his serial sticker : CK35012R1YG. And a ESN number 008004077083.

Voilà… happy galgot :)

picts :

post-2324-0-37145800-1410607368_thumb.jpg

post-2324-0-33309000-1410607385_thumb.jpg

post-2324-0-31948900-1410607443_thumb.jpg

Congrats, have you got the special Powerbop software on the disk ? and yes the port on the side is for the external floppy...probably the same as the PWB 100.

Hi Mate,

Nope :-/ only some fax softwares not related to the Bibop system it seems… but anyway i don't have any Bibop station to test .

Edited by galgot

Many thanks to Dandu, i was able to install the missing PowerBop modem drivers :

post-2324-0-35369200-1410721757_thumb.jpg

Completely useless as i don't have a Bibop station… but essential to have :) And it make a cool noise when opening that "radio CT2" app .

I miss minitel.   :(

I've never used it, but the idea that an old terminal style BBS system was still active for all those years is awesome in my book. :)

Edited by olePigeon

Any chance someone could hack this up to work with US GSM channels? That would be fun, if not somewhat useless.

Though as long as EDGE is around, it could be feasible?

c

I doubt it...these types of things are implemented in hardware and its likely the RF frequency and modulation standards are totally different between GSM GPRS/EDGE and France Telecoms Bi-Bop system.

(Bi-Bop is short range, not really "cellular" to our current definition. More like wifi.)

So it is still possible if one finds out the correct frequency, modulation, and coding of the signal and fashion a radio base that works with those.

I doubt FCC would approve though, it may operate on a frequency that is not open in USA. So try it at your own risk.

So it is still possible if one finds out the correct frequency, modulation, and coding of the signal and fashion a radio base that works with those.

I doubt FCC would approve though, it may operate on a frequency that is not open in USA. So try it at your own risk.

A few people have designed bridges that converted modern GSM/UMTS carriers to repeat on the old AMPS network so they could use brick phones and the likes at ranges up to 100m. They were usually suitcase sized solutions.

Someone blogs it at least once a year and the FCC promptly orders them to remove it or prepare their butt for something no human can handle. I think the last time I saw it was in March. It was on a Russian blog and that time a DMCA was filed and it vanished a few days later.

Edited by CelGen

To you too, stupid edit cutoff. emot-argh.gif

If you EVER know of a source of minitel terminals I strongly suggest you all hoard three or four because they're the closest thing you can get to a nice compact terminal with that 80's feel and they've basically been free since the shutdown a few years ago and are recycled in droves (there were still hundreds of thousands of them in use until 2012 so literally they were all over France). The "hack" is normally the addition of a MAX232 and some models don't even require that.

Indeed, 

From the Bibop Wikipedia french page (translated) :

"One of the business benefits of Bi-Bop was excellent call quality, since the radio link with the terminal is based on the CT2 standard, the audio link is coded identically to that used by the DECT cordless phones home (ADPCM 32 kbit / s)."

and on the CT2 standard wikipedia page :

"..Unlike DECT, CT2 was a voice-only system, though like any minimally-compressed voice system, users could deploy analog modems to transfer data. In the early nineties,Apple Computer sold a CT2 modem called the PowerBop to make use of France's Bibop CT2 network. Although CT2 is a microcellular system, fully capable of supportinghandoff, unlike DECT it does not support "forward handoff", meaning that it has to drop its former radio link before establishing the subsequent one, leading to a sub-second dropout in the call during the handover."

The best way is to found a CT2 base station.

In France, it's uncommon but possible (i have found 3 base to test, one is broken, but the two other working).

There is many CT2 Network, i think it works with rabbit base station (UK) and the hardware from Hong Kong.

And i have seen that many old DECT phone are also compatible with CT2 (and BiBop french phone).