Photo

Netatalk on Ubuntu (more distros soon!)

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 mactjaap

mactjaap
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:32 PM

I'm trying to get Netatalk up and running on my $9 CHIP. Would love to get it up and running and will write a HOW TO if i succeed.No luck yet....  atalkd refuses to start. I'm dropping my question in this post. Maybe some knows what is going wrong.

With no atalkd.con I get this:

root@chip:~/macipgw-master#  /usr/local/sbin/atalkd wlan0: disabled. atalkd: zero interfaces, exiting

With wlan0 in atalkd.conf this error:

root@chip:~/macipgw-master#  /usr/local/sbin/atalkd wlan0: Invalid argument Can't configure multicast. wlan0: disabled. atalkd: zero interfaces, exiting.

Edited by mactjaap, 14 February 2016 - 09:33 PM.

Collection: Apple II (ITT 2020), LISA 2, Macintosh 128K, 512K, Plus, ED, SE, Portable, PowerBook 100 and a FastPath5 router.
Looking for TCP/IP over LocalTalk?? I made something very usefull... Look at http://www.macip.net

#42 flecom

flecom
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:43 AM

anyone tried this on a rpi? would be neat to make a tiny netatalk file server

#43 mactjaap

mactjaap
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

have a look at this site for a Rasberry PI:

https://github.com/zero2sixd/macipgw

I got it working on a 9$ CHIP! Appletalk and MacIPgw for routing IP over LocalTalk.

Thanks to Renzo his post about compiling your own kernel on CHIP I managed to make one with all modules, but without the DDP one.... That was wat was stopping macipgw to work.

I added a $2 USB Ethernet drive to get the atalk daemon up and running.

See the packages comming in in the tunnel:

sent packet into tunnel.
waiting for packet: got IP packet from tunnel.
read packet from tunnel.
found arp entry: 172.16.2.3 -> 65280.1
waiting for packet: got IP packet from tunnel.
read packet from tunnel.
found arp entry: 172.16.2.3 -> 65280.1
waiting for packet: got AT packet.
macip_input: packet: DDP=22, len=41
got IP packet from 65280.1
        source=172.16.2.3, dest=172.16.2.1
arp_set: 172.16.2.3 -> 65280.1

Thanks to Jason for help with macipgw on Linux
Thanks to Renzo for help with compiling a new Kernel

Collection: Apple II (ITT 2020), LISA 2, Macintosh 128K, 512K, Plus, ED, SE, Portable, PowerBook 100 and a FastPath5 router.
Looking for TCP/IP over LocalTalk?? I made something very usefull... Look at http://www.macip.net

#44 rsolberg

rsolberg
  • LocationVancouver Island, Canada

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:05 AM

I've been tinkering with netatalk on my RPi 2. In order to get DDP working, I had to compile netatalk from source, enabling DDP in the build configuration file. Unfortunately, the netatalk version I want won't compile as there is a poorly documented bug in the preinstalled version of CUPS in Raspbian Jessie. I was able to get it working with an older version of netatalk, but it doesn't "automagically" share CUPS printers via atalk and AirPrint like the newer build does. I will post further details when I figure out how to obliterate the preinstalled version of CUPS and determine the fully compatible versions of CUPS and Netatalk. At last check, I was trying to build a Raspbian "Stretch" image to avoid the CUPS butchery, but life intervened.
68000: Mac SE Superdrive, 68040: Mac Colour Classic "Mystic" w/VGA mod

#45 NJRoadfan

NJRoadfan

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

netatalk + Apple II netbooting on RPi all setup and ready to go: http://ivanx.com/a2server/

Read the history, it wasn't easy to setup! macipgw works with it too, but is not included.

Edited by NJRoadfan, 23 February 2016 - 03:03 PM.

#46 onlyonemac

onlyonemac
  • LocationNear Chichester, United Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:06 PM

The one major problem with using sudo apt-get install netatalk is that unless you check the version number in the repository, you could could end up installing Netatalk 3 which removed AppleTalk (ddp) support and thusly will never work with older Macs. It's better to install it from source code.

It's better to install it from source code. It's best to request a specific version number when installing it through the package manager.

Don't hack your Mac...you might as well throw it in the dumpster.
Always on the lookout for cheap/free Macs and Mac goodies-PM me if you've got an offer.

As my username suggests, I only have one mac (Performa 475), but wouldn't mind 50 or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users