Photo

Netatalk on Ubuntu (more distros soon!)

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 PowerPup

PowerPup
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Just thought I'd let people know that I'm working on a "Quick and Easy" guide on how to setup Netatalk on the 68kMLA Wiki.

At the moment the wiki page only has details of setting Netatalk up on Ubuntu, I plan to expand it as I try more distros. (Location of config files should only be the major difference.)

So far I've successfully connected my TiBook G4 to my Netatalk box within Mac OS 9 and 10.4. (Making sure AFP via TCP was disabled in the OS 9 test.) Copying back and forth so far has gone well. (Although it lagged a couple times, probably because my Netatalk box was running over Wifi.) When I have the time I plan to test Mac OS 6 and 7 using my Classic II via my AsantePrint bridge.

So keep an eye on it while I work on it in my spare time. Feel free to give suggestions. ;)

Macs I own: Classic II, LCIII, PowerMac 6100 w/ NewerTech G3 250Mhz CPU, PowerMac G4 "Sawtooth", PowerBook 5300, PowerBook 1400c, PowerBook 3400c, PowerBook G3 "Lombard", PowerBook G4 Titanium.

#2 Mk.558

Mk.558
  • LocationRetired Member

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

Already done already. Yours however has more potential to talk about a bunch of other distros, but as Linux is a highly variable environment, it could be quite an fascinating page indeed.

protocol7 indicated to me awhile back that the version he used was 2.1.6. I tested 2.2.4 and it would not work under systems with MacTCP, only 7.5.x with OT 1.3+. There is a possibility that it could work with OT 1.1.2 under 7.1 but I have yet to test that, but in time I will, along with testing it on a 512K/512Ke running System 3.2/Finder 5.4 running AppleShare 1.1 WS.

There could be some config file hidden away somewhere that needs to be edited to make it work like 2.1.6, but I am not aware of it and looking at the changelog didn't indicate anything unusual.

The one major problem with using sudo apt-get install netatalk is that unless you check the version number in the repository, you could could end up installing Netatalk 3 which removed AppleTalk (ddp) support and thusly will never work with older Macs. It's better to install it from source code.

EDIT: You'll need to add uams_guest.so, to your afpd.conf file, as I demonstrate. Also if you get the Netatalk source code from sourceforge, then unpack it with the tar command (as I demonstrate) then run ./configure --help you'll see what systems are supported, like SUSE or Gentoo.

I also must credit protocol7 again because without his notes on his ./configure string I would never have been able to get it going (well, maybe eventually).
SE/30 Cap Replacement http://tinyurl.com/mjf24zs
Classic Mac Networking v3.1 http://applefool.com/se30/
"Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing." -oboedad55, ubuntuforums.org

#3 PowerPup

PowerPup

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for all the info Mk. :D You guide will be a great reference.

Currently, Ubuntu's repository (from 12.10 & up) is using Netatalk 2.2.2, so I wasn't worried about having the user specify a version. As far as I can tell Netatalk 3 is not in the repository. (The Netatalk wiki provides guides to buliding Netatalk 3 on Ubuntu.)

There are positive results using Netatalk 2.2.2 with Mac OS 7.1 and 7.5.x., I'll just have to get my Classic II out and see how it goes.

2.2.1 has a bug which causes AFP over ddp to loose connection, so grabing netatalk from Ubuntu 12.04's repository wouldn't work, one would have to build from source as Mk.558 described.

Macs I own: Classic II, LCIII, PowerMac 6100 w/ NewerTech G3 250Mhz CPU, PowerMac G4 "Sawtooth", PowerBook 5300, PowerBook 1400c, PowerBook 3400c, PowerBook G3 "Lombard", PowerBook G4 Titanium.

#4 Mk.558

Mk.558
  • LocationRetired Member

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:59 AM

Well, if I was in your place, I'd definitely test it with System 6, MacTCP 2.0.6 or 2.1 and AppleShare WS 3.5. (There's a little subtle mention about AS 2.0 and WS 3.5 in their differences in the footnotes underneath The Chart.)

If the machine doesn't show up in the Chooser, it'll be incompatible (unless it is 7.5+ with the Server IP Address button enabled). A lot of people try looking around for the "Server IP Address..." button in the Chooser but that doesn't show up till later -- I don't think it's in 7.1 but I haven't fiddled with 7.1 and OT yet*.

Netatalk 2.2.5 is the last release of Version 2 I was aware of. I would personally start from there and work back. If you are an ace computer user, you could do it all in a VM, using snapshots to restore to previous states.

EDIT: You may also want to show them how to share the CD drive. I added some text in mine that won't show up in the next (and final) version of the Guide, but there is a difference if you have a built-in CD drive or if it's external. I found on the Compaq E500 (it also has a floppy module) that when I type cd /media/ && ls I get a printout of cdrom cdrom0 floppy floppy0, but when I plug in a USB CD drive into my ThinkPad X200, I get nothing unless a CD is inserted, then it'll print out the name of the volume (like XP SP2). Therefore, if a user wants to share the CD drive with a unit with a built-in CD drive, they can just use a path in AppleVolumes.default like /media/cdrom0 "CD Drive Share" but if it's like a USB drive, then they'll need to use the name of the volume (which will have to be updated each time a different CD is inserted, and Netatalk restarted) like /media/XP SP2 "CD Drive Share".

You can see why the Guide has taken so long and that is because I've had to discover a lot of nuances and gotchas and I feel compelled to advise everybody about them./edit

*: MacTCP does not enable the "Server IP Address..." button. AFAIK that doesn't come along until 7.5, and you need OT 1.3+ I believe. Furthermore I haven't seen that button by a default install of 7.5.3 with OT 1.1.2. I could be wrong on that, but this is 7.5.3 and MacTCP -- you can see the OK button is not to the full-right, as shown in the second image:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Note to future readers: The next major update of the Guide will update all JPG images to the PNG format. To see the last image after I update it, just change the extension from .jpg to .png.

"Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing." -oboedad55, ubuntuforums.org

#5 PowerPup

PowerPup

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

Fired up the Classic II today and it was able to detect, mount, and copy to and from the netatalk server using native AppleTalk, both on Mac OS 6.0.8 (AppleShare WS 3.5) and Mac OS 7.1. :)

I like the idea of using a VM and snapshots, I'll take a look into it. ;)

Your suggestion about mounting CDs gave me an idea. Since one's netatalk server would (most likely) have plenty of disk space, why not create images of the CDs and mount those? :D (One could even have the isos mounted automatically at boot using fstab.)

#make sure cdrom is not currently mounted
sudo umount /dev/cdrom

#make copy of CD and save to file
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/isos/nameOfCD.iso

#mount iso to a directory as Read-Only and specify FS type: HFS
sudo mount -o ro,loop -t hfs ~/isos/nameOfCD.iso /media/nameOfCD

#in AppleVolumes.default add the mounted directory and give a name to identify which CD it is
/media/nameOfCD "CD Volume Name" allow:guest

I'll make some isos of Mac CDs and will try it out over the weekend. ;)

#6 Mk.558

Mk.558
  • LocationRetired Member

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

I'll make some isos of Mac CDs and will try it out over the weekend. ;)

How did it work?

I believe if you enabled guests in the afpd.conf file, then you don't need allow: guests in the AppleVolumes.default file. I have read about the recent thread about playing with HFS in Linux and am excited about LocalTalk with Mini vMac but this is another bug in the back of my brain. Are Debian distros "safer" for package support versus other systems in regards to HFS? I know you can get hfsutils and hfsplus for Debian but not sure about everybody else. (I had trouble with gParted recognizing HFS+ and HFS options for formatting, as a side mention.)

While you're at it -- did you want to try Netatalk 2.2.5? I would try it but all my Linux machines already have Netatalk built and compiled, and the E500 has 2.1.6 on it that is in a state of suspension because I'm working on a far-future demo of netbooting a IIGS with it.

#7 Bunsen

Bunsen

Admin-Witchfinder-General

• Administrators
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

Has anyone successfully installed it on OpenWRT or DD-WRT? A guide to that would be way useful.

have you searched? Seeks: Nubus PDS DSP PB170 Newton; TRS-80 III/4; CBM BBC SX-64 CX5M Likes: 8bit luggable palmtop terminal NC tablet audio MIDI analog FM drum synth steam&dieselpunk; 1930-1980 lab/comm/mil Score! NC100 PB190 Q950 IIe-PDS

#8 PowerPup

PowerPup

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

How did it work? ... Are Debian distros "safer" for package support versus other systems in regards to HFS? I know you can get hfsutils and hfsplus for Debian but not sure about everybody else. (I had trouble with gParted recognizing HFS+ and HFS options for formatting, as a side mention.)

While you're at it -- did you want to try Netatalk 2.2.5? I would try it but all my Linux machines already have Netatalk built and compiled, and the E500 has 2.1.6 on it that is in a state of suspension because I'm working on a far-future demo of netbooting a IIGS with it.

Got so busy preparing for Finals week that I forgot about my weekend experiment. :p Yeah I did give it a try, though I've ran into a snag. I can't get AFPd to recognize the original resource forks within the mounted iso image. There use to be a "afpd" option in the mount command that would convert the resource forks into ADouble files for netatalk to use. Apparently this was a feature that eventually broke somewhere around Kernel 2.6. Do you have this issue when mounting the CD-ROM directly? Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here...

HFS support is pretty unmaintained (AFAIK,) except for package maintenance I suppose. I assume any major distro will have working HFS packages. As for partitioning, you may have better luck with pdisk for the command line.

I'll get around to building Netatalk 2.2.5. ;) Just gotta get through Finals week here then I'll have a 2 week break before Spring Quarter starts.

@Bunsen: I've been curious about that myself actually. Maybe I'll get around to giving that a try. ;)

#9 IPalindromeI

IPalindromeI
  • Locationwhere pies go when they die

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

Just really a matter of either having a binary or cross-compiling it (and dependencies) and getting it on the system (that and I presume a way to get your stuff ON the router)
Neat stuff: MacMini1,1 (Core Solo), BlackBerry Q5 (daily driver), Nokia N900, Nokia N800, Asus P2B-D with dual Pentium II 450, 2x ThinkPad 701CS, ++more

#10 feeef

feeef
  • LocationBordeaux, France

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

I have been able to setup netatalk on snow leopard (it should work with earlier OSX releases).

Unfortunately, appletalk is not installed on snow leopard but file sharing through IP works perfectly with any classic mac os able to connect an afp server through TCP/IP.

I first did a post on system7today but copied it here too => https://68kmla.org/f...hp?f=29&t=23049

Maybe this can help somebody.

I have been intensively using this network for about a month now without having any problem. This setup has made me work again with my 9500 for some tasks! :)

LC III - 6100/60 - 9500/132 (G4 700) - Powerbook 17" 1.33 - Mac Pro 8 cores 2008

#11 tt

tt
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

The screenshot above reminded me... I have a Synology NAS that I have an AFP volume on that I can connect to. To connect to the shared volume, I have to put in the IP address of my NAS in order to connect to it. Is it possible to configure the NAS to be able to just see the server in the list of names? Is this functionality provided by AppleTalk?...I am guessing it is and if it worked, I wouldn't need as advanced networking software installed on the System 6/7 end.

Please backup and copy that floppy. Preserve softwaredeletion is irreversible.

#12 CJ_Miller

CJ_Miller
  • Locationno

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:06 AM

Neat! I've got it sort of working. I am on a new install of Linux Mint 17.1, which defaults to install the same netatalk 2.2.2 as Ubuntu. I can't believe that netatalk 3 dropped support for AppleTalk, I thought it was the whole point of netatalk. Anyway, setting things up as on PowerPup's page as linked above, I can get it working with 10.4.11 *or* 9.2.2, but not yet both at the same time.

Originally, I had set up afpd.conf with -transall to allow for DDP or TCP/IP. This had my 10.4.11 partition see and connect to it as an SMB share. My 9.2.2 network browser saw the share but when I logged in as guest, there was no share to mount, so it didn't do anything. The I redid my afpd.conf with -ddp -notcp so it would only use old-style AppleTalk. This confused my 10.4.11 setup, it then saw *two* shares - one with my Linux system name, and another with my AppleShare server name. When I tried logging onto the former, I got an error that it was an unresolved alias. When I tried logging on to the latter, I got an error that either the address was wrong, or the server was down. But under 9.2.2 it seemed to work great! I was able to log in, read remote documents, transfer test archives and decompress them, and leave files in the shared folder.

It will take some more tweak to get it set up, but this is a great starting point!

#13 HoneyDoe

HoneyDoe
  • LocationCanada, Southern quebec near Malone NY,

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

I think we should worry more about debian then ubuntu,

but the real question is can we configure appletalk  for linux to look to the serial port?

The great Dopez loves to share with everyone

#14 CJ_Miller

CJ_Miller
  • Locationno

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:27 AM

My guess is that netatalk, as is, doesn't do serial aka LocalTalk - just because there's no mention of it that I've seen. I am guessing also that DDP over serial is not only the same data going more slowly over a different cable, there are probably some protocol differences.

But the netatalk source code is available for all to pick through. And even now decent RS422 cards can be bought for $30 or so. It can be tried!

#15 PowerPup

PowerPup

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:59 AM

@CJ_Miller: Ah, I had completely forgot to setup netatalk again after upgrading to Ubuntu 14.04. Decided to follow my guide and see where the pitfalls may be.

In the "/etc/defualt/netatalk" file, I had to uncomment the "AFPD_UAMLIST" line and add "uams_guest.so" to the list of default User Authentication Modules.

By adding the guest module to the default list, one no longer needs to add the "-uamlist" argument to the "/etc/netatalk/afpd.conf" file.

Once I did that, I could connect to the server via Mac OS X 10.4.11, but the "Shared Folder" share wasn't available. I added "@users,nobody" to the allow argument in "/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default"  After restarting netatalk, I could mount the "Shared Folder" both under Mac OS X and Mac OS 9.2.2. (I'm sure System 6/7 will work fine as well.)

I have adjusted the wiki accordingly with the mentioned changes. Hope this helps. ;)

Edit: Oh, found some useful info here as well: http://devel.datif.b...eopard-clients/

@HoneyDoe: Because Ubuntu uses the Debian configuration "environment" for netatalk, the wiki guide should also work for Debian as is. Provided that netatalk is the same version, I just haven't gotten around to confirming it yet.

Edited by PowerPup, 03 January 2015 - 04:03 AM.

#16 HoneyDoe

HoneyDoe

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:36 AM

Sorry, I did not mean to sound rude about it, it's just, why always ubuntu.... but i guess thats for another day

I'd asume if i used a mac via a ppp conection it would see the server?

#17 PowerPup

PowerPup

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

Oh no no, you didn't come off as rude at all. I had Ubuntu already installed on my laptop for DE testing, and so I started with Ubuntu when writing the guide. I still plan on adding sections for others distros (Fedora/RH, Gentoo, hopefully Arch, I think I have to recompile the kernel for Arch.) If there is anything different under Debian then I'll create a section for it in the guide. ;)

A PPP connection? I would assume so too. ;)

#18 HoneyDoe

HoneyDoe

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:52 PM

oh man arch....man....well you know linux more then me i guess...Thats why im such a fustrated dumb dumb when it comes to linux,
Arch is so like diffrent.like backwards almost

Any ways, If you think this should work , then I shall try it,

on my debian!!! MUHAHAHAHA

#19 PowerPup

PowerPup

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:14 AM

Well, I have yet to do "straight up" Arch from scratch... I "cheated" and used Antergos for my Arch install. ;)  Unlike Manjaro, Antergos will use the latest packages from the Arch repo.

Let us know how your testing on Debian goes! :D  If you have any trouble with netatalk after establishing a PPP connection, I'm sure the collaborative knowledge of the forum will be able to help you work it out. ;)

#20 HoneyDoe

HoneyDoe

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:25 AM

GOOD  GOOD!!!
See I dont even know what antergos is but i asume a sort of package manager... Man that serial cable needs to arrive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users