Photo

CC's Latest...

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#261 Sherry Haibara

Sherry Haibara

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

Nice conquests!
Did you ever get the Osborne running again? That's a beautiful computer to have in working condition!

#262 CC_333

CC_333
  • 68LC040

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

No, I haven't had the time to even look at the Osbourne.

I really do need to look into it though. The keyboard seems to be defective, and it won't boot without it connected. I suspect maybe a bad connection in one or more wires in the cable is causing that problem.

Aside from that, the display comes on and appears to work OK, and it could use a good cleaning (especially on the outer beige case). When moving it around, the handle broke too, so that'll have to be fixed. Is it some sort of plastic or rubber, or is it leather?

As for the Quad G5, I removed the LCS from my other Quad, and I plan to put the new Quad's CPUs on it. Also swapping over the RAM, so maybe I can get 4 GB, making this the largest amount of RAM I have in a PPC Mac.

c

Edited by CC_333, 12 October 2017 - 06:35 PM.

Main Macs: Early '09 Mac Pro, Mid '12 MacBook Pro 13" --- Secondary Macs: Early '08 Mac Pro, Mid '12 MacBook Pro 15"
Playthings: Mac SE/30, 3.0 GHz Mavericks-based HackServe, Many others... --- Desired: Lisa, Kanga PowerBook G3, Apple IIc, Apple II, Spare parts, etc.

#263 Sherry Haibara

Sherry Haibara

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:31 PM

When moving it around, the handle broke too, so that'll have to be fixed. Is it some sort of plastic or rubber, or is it leather?

Seems to be leather. No wonder it broke off after all these years! It should be possible to sew it together, though.

As for the keyboard, it may well be an issue with the cable. If you haven't tried yet, you may want to have it thoroughly cleaned first, just to rule out any possible mechanical issue. Also, are the intermittent keys always the same or do they all work intermittently at random?

#264 CC_333

CC_333
  • 68LC040

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:44 AM

OK. I might be able to figure out how to get the leather sewn back together. Worst case, though, I suppose I could just tie a rope through the metal D-rings and use that as a makeshift handle (better yet, maybe a piece of nylon strap!) It wouldn't be original, but it's work!

As for the keyboard, I'm really not sure what's going on. The only time it's been powered on was in the consignment area of VCF West, where I bought it. The screen was doing weird things until we unplugged the keyboard, and then it appeared to work. However, we couldn't use it because it wouldn't boot until we pressed return or something (obviously impossible without a keyboard!). I suspect maybe a short in the keyboard somewhere?

If I had the money, I'd gladly send it off to someone who think they can fix it!

c

Main Macs: Early '09 Mac Pro, Mid '12 MacBook Pro 13" --- Secondary Macs: Early '08 Mac Pro, Mid '12 MacBook Pro 15"
Playthings: Mac SE/30, 3.0 GHz Mavericks-based HackServe, Many others... --- Desired: Lisa, Kanga PowerBook G3, Apple IIc, Apple II, Spare parts, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users