Photo

CC's Latest...

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#241 CC_333

CC_333
  • 68LC040

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

OK, got the D600 back together with new hinges, hinge cover, and display back case. I installed Windows 98 on it for fun, and it actually works decently, and believe it or not, it can still actually access the internet relatively well for an 18 year old OS. Even via WiFi! WPA/WPA2 support is iffy at best, though, as no formal support for the standard was ever made available to 98 until relatively late in it's life cycle (indeed, I don't think the standard even existed publicly until maybe 2004 - 2005-ish).

I also made up an XP image for it (using Powerquest Drive Image) that I can easily switch to, should I want it to be somewhat more modern (or should I say, somewhat less ancient [:)]).

Speaking of which, I finally got a working battery for my many clamshell iBooks, and it's wonderful! I'm exercising it now to maximize its capacity, but even at that, it got almost 5 hours of run time according to BatteryAmnesia, which, after years of having nothing but dead batteries which are good for nothing more than counter wights for the screen, is wonderful! I only have one for now, but I plan to eventually get one for each of my other iBooks, plus maybe a spare. To that end, are there any helpful tips for preservation I should be aware of? I fear that if I let the new battery sit too long without being used, it'll become just as dead as the many others I have.

c

Edited by CC_333, 11 May 2017 - 03:21 PM.

Main Macs: Early '09 Mac Pro, Mid '12 MacBook Pro 13" --- Secondary Macs: Early '08 Mac Pro, Mid '12 MacBook Pro 15"
Playthings: Mac SE/30, 3.0 GHz Mavericks-based HackServe, Many others... --- Desired: Lisa, Kanga PowerBook G3, Apple IIc, Apple II, Spare parts, etc.

#242 CC_333

CC_333
  • 68LC040

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:14 AM

I am pleased to present one of my biggest finds EVER: A boxed LC! With boxed accessories!!

Here are some pictures from the seller:

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_3735.JPG

IMG_6158.JPG

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_5827.JPG

IMG_4509.JPG

IMG_3745.JPG

image1.JPG

The interior of the LC seems fairly clean, but I do see a Maxell bomb that needs attention :O. Thankfully it hasn't detonated yet, but I will still remove it ASAP regardless.

The boxes are in okay shape, and there seems to be some yellowing, which suggests that it was all in use for quite awhile before being packed away.

I had a friend get it for me, so hopefully I'll get to see it within the next week or so, when I go to visit him.

I can hardly wait!!

c

Edited by CC_333, 20 May 2017 - 06:17 AM.

Main Macs: Early '09 Mac Pro, Mid '12 MacBook Pro 13" --- Secondary Macs: Early '08 Mac Pro, Mid '12 MacBook Pro 15"
Playthings: Mac SE/30, 3.0 GHz Mavericks-based HackServe, Many others... --- Desired: Lisa, Kanga PowerBook G3, Apple IIc, Apple II, Spare parts, etc.

#243 CC_333

CC_333
  • 68LC040

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:16 AM

IMG_7537.JPG

Picture of keyboard box.

c

#244 jsarchibald

jsarchibald
  • LocationGold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:31 AM

Exciting stuff!  Nothing like coming across something boxed, especially when it still has all of the original goodies.  It's like a time capsule.  I also like to examine the box and read the shipping labels, it tells the history of the machine and where it came from.

Boxed: 128K, SE, LC, LCII, Colour Classic, Q700, PM6100, PB3400, G4 Cube, AppleCD 300e, Newtons *** Unboxed: //e, IIGS, Drexel 128K, 512K, Beige and Platinum ED, Plus, SE FDHD, SE/30, Portable, II, IIx, IIfx, Performa 250, Q605, Macintosh TV, TAM, TechStep

#245 Themk

Themk
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:42 AM

I felt that way when I got my IWII, in box.

It had shipping labels to the dealer, an invoice for the original purchaser, another shipping label from the late 90s on it, and then the shipping label to me! (in 2016!). All of the foam and bags were there too. Ahh, how neat.

Macintosh SE SuperDrive, Macintosh SE/30, Apple IIgs ROM3, ImageWriterBanger II.

Currently building the amazing 68040! Performa (Quadra??!!) 638CD gets 40MHz full '040 [;)] , Ethernet, 136MB RAM, AV input card, and maybe something else. Should have performance comparable to the Quadra 840av when done! (A/UX doesn't work, but I still like this little guy right here: [:P] )

#246 CC_333

CC_333
  • 68LC040

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:39 PM

Yes, unfortunately things like disks and documentation seem to be missing, but at least I have the boxes!

Anyway, I was at the dump yesterday, and I found a lonely looking Quicksilver lying helplessly in a dumpster.

Needless to say, I took it :)

It's fairly typical, with 733 MHz CPU and some decent amount of RAM, but two things struck me as special: a card sitting in the modem slot with a cable running to something that looks strikingly like a Mac serial port, and some sort of audio card.

It has two hard drives, at least one of which is 80 GB. It even appears to have an OS on it, but it won't boot due to some unrepairable-by-fsck disk errors.

Anyway, I dismantled it and cleaned it out, as it was quite filthy (the plastics are severely yellowed, though, so it'll never look perfect unless I replace them), and after putting everything back together, the speaker emits a terrible sounding crackle, and the power light blinks three times. What could've happened? I didn't get any liquids near the logic board (I did remove the CPU card, so maybe that's the problem?)

I also got two Dells, an Optilex of some sort (looks like it's from the late XP era, 2010-2014) and a Latitude D800 with a cracked screen (surprisingly, I can still sort of use it well enough for testing, though it definitely gets a new one ASAP).

There was a B&W, a G5 an MDD, and something that looked like an outrigger PowerMac desktop there too, but I didn't have room, and they were wrapped up in a pallet for recycling. That was hard :(

I'm pleased I rescued what I did, though, so it's not a complete loss.

However, since I have a nice QS already, I'm probably going to keep the special cards and sell this one. Anyone interested in an ugly Quicksilver?

c

#247 CC_333

CC_333
  • 68LC040

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:16 AM

OK, progress:

Figured out why the QS spazzed out: bad RAM. I removed one DIMM, and it started up just fine, bong and all.

Still some oddness though. Most notably, when I try to put it in target disk mode, it shuts down. Doesn't seem to see anything on the Firewire ports either, so I think it might need a new logic board.

As for the hard drives, the 80 GB one is functional, and the stock 40 GB drive seems to be intermittently dead. I know there's an OS on there, but I can't see it (it won't mount).

Anyway, now for the interesting stuff. The thing that looks like a serial port is in fact a Griffin gPort II, and the audio card is a MOTU PCI-324.

Both of these I could put into my other, better QS (into which I need to install the Dual 1.0 GHz CPU card I got ages ago... if I can find it).

Anyway, I don't feel like messing with it, so I'll sell it as is. Watch for it in the Trading Post.

AS for the Dells, I haven't tried the desktop yet, but I hope to next week, and I got a new display for the D800, which is en route. Also got a RAM upgrade for it, as it only has 256 MB. It also has a lousy 20 GB, 4200 RPM drive, so, yeah. Anyone want it? I'd rather get at least a 5400 RPM drive in there).

c

#248 Macdrone

Macdrone
  • LocationKelso, Wa

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

My Quicksilver is acting up.  My biggest fear is caps as there are so many of them.  Would make sense as power supplies are getting flaky that the motherboard would start to follow suit.

Lots O' Macs, but now thinning the lots.

#249 CC_333

CC_333
  • 68LC040

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, the logic board caps seem okay for now, so I don't think that's the cause of its weird behavior.

Nevertheless, perhaps I will try a different logic board. It wouldn't hurt.

c

Edited by CC_333, 24 June 2017 - 08:55 PM.

#250 Macdrone

Macdrone
  • LocationKelso, Wa

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:36 PM

keep us updated as i dont have a spare lol.

Lots O' Macs, but now thinning the lots.

#251 CC_333

CC_333
  • 68LC040

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:11 AM

Spare Quicksilver??

If you're interested in this machine once I've rehabilitated it, it's all yours!

If not, well, then it goes to the Trading Post. I have no room for it, and aside from those neat cards I found, it's just an ordinary Quicksilver (I already have a nice one).

Either way, I will definitely keep you updated. Afte giving it some more thought, I'm now quite confident a new logic board will fix the Firewire problem (the only outstanding issue, really), so that's where I'll start, and I'll also get new plastics for it (I can get the front, back, top, bottom, sides and handles for ~$65. Good deal?)

c

Edited by CC_333, 25 June 2017 - 07:12 AM.

#252 Johnnya101

Johnnya101
  • LocationLancaster, NH

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:33 PM

hahahaha sawtooth here.

resized.gif       BRENT RAMBO APPROVES

Apple IIGS, Classic II, SE/30, Color Classic, Quadra 700, 2x Imagewriter II,  Macintosh Color Display, Power Mac 7100 and 7200, LC II, Macintosh Color Display,  and a box full of ADB keyboards... Soon to be owner of another Quadra 700 and PowerBook 165c

#253 CC_333

CC_333
  • 68LC040

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:55 AM

OK, 

Got the D800 back in shape. Got it a new LCD, new hard drive (7200 RPM!), upgraded RAM to 2 GB (up from 256 MB) and gave it a good clean. Now it's good as new, save for some scratches and dents on the bottom (most of which it likely sustained while at the dump, as the interior is very clean, with almost no wear; it must've lived on someone's desk for most of its existence). The battery even holds a nice, long charge (an hour or two).

I'm currently putting a nice install of XP on it. I'd try Vista or 7, but I'm not sure how well it'd run (it's still only a 1.4 GHz single-core Pentium M). I would definitely not run 8.x or 10 on it though, but if that CPU is supported, I suppose it could technically work.

Not bad for something I literally found at the dump!

Here it is:

IMG_0097.JPG

Nothing much on the others yet, though I am trying to get a new logic board for the Quicksilver.

EDIT: Oh, and the new LCD I got has a super high resolution (1920xsomething!) so I accidentally upgraded it (the old one was 1440x900 I think).

c

Edited by CC_333, 03 July 2017 - 05:02 AM.

#254 Carboy7

Carboy7
  • LocationDurham, North Carolina, USA

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

Nice Dell, CC!
I assume 2 GB of ram is the max amount it can get, though.
<p>Blackbird, 145B, PDQ, Clamshell, FlowerPower, Blue Dalmatian, iLamp, LCII, IIsi, QuickSilver, and a Sun SPARCstation 5!

#255 CC_333

CC_333
  • 68LC040

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:13 PM

Thank you [:)]

Yes, I'm quite certain 2 GB is the max, but for XP, it's enough.

I'm now installing updates onto it, and even for what it is, it is actually not too slow (it may get worse once I get it all up to date). It was apparently available with a 1.7 GHz CPU, so maybe I can upgrade (the CPU is socketed on these models). It probably wouldn't give it any meaningful boost, but I like the fact that it's a bigger number [:D]

Even with all of this, when the fans come on, it does smell a bit like garbage, though :lol:

It'll fade, I'm sure.

c

Edited by CC_333, 03 July 2017 - 03:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users