Photo

Hidden ROM/extension images

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry
  • LocationJurassic Park Visitor Center

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:39 AM

OMG, there's one in the Power Mac G3 ROM too! :D Who knows how to access these normally??

This one is located at 0x2E6E80:2FC268 in the checksum = 0x78F57389 ROM.
[wiki="User]Dennis Nedry's 68kMLA Wiki Userpage[/wiki], including my extensive Mac collection.
Dennis Nedry was an awesome Mac hacker, but I hack Macs in his name to preserve, not to destroy.

#2 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:17 AM

MOTHERLOAD of JPEG easter eggs found in the 7200 / 7500 / 8500 / 9500 ROM! These are stored amongst the "secret about box" images. See the next post for those. (Max # of attachments is 5.)
[wiki="User]Dennis Nedry's 68kMLA Wiki Userpage[/wiki], including my extensive Mac collection.
Dennis Nedry was an awesome Mac hacker, but I hack Macs in his name to preserve, not to destroy.

#3 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:19 AM

secret about box images (see previous post)

#4 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:48 AM

I found a better jpeg extractor and fed it my entire Mac ROM archive. Much to my surprise, here are the Quadra 660AV / 840AV hidden jpeg images :)

#5 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

These are from somewhere in the NetBoot Mac OS 9.2.2 disk image. I'm not sure which file they came from. The Apple campus image is also somewhere in this disk image, but not the iguana flag.

I realize this is a bit off-topic, but these discoveries have indeed stemmed from the PEX ROM. If a Mod wishes to move these into a new thread, I would be okay with that. Actually - should we put all of the team pictures into the wiki and document where they came from and how to make them appear (if possible)?

#6 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

QuickTime 2.1 Extension

'inst' resource ID -19134

Part 1

#7 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

Part 2

#8 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

The 9.2.2 image(s) is from Apple Monitor Plugins extension v2.2.1, resource 'vptq' ID 450.

#9 LCGuy

LCGuy

LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

• LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

Very cool...at the same time though, kinda sad to think - this is the sort of thing that you just don't see any more in new hardware and software.

Also - as you can see, I've split these from the PEx ROM thread.
"Bite off more than you can chew and then chew like all Hell" - Peter Brock

#10 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

Thanks LCGuy. I'll post them here from now on.

There are also some of these that I posted in the secret startup sound thread if you would like to move those here too:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18656

#11 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

AppleVision v1.5.1 Extension

#12 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

QuickTime v2.5

Part 1

#13 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

QuickTime v2.5

Part 2

#14 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

This picture came from a 7.6.1 installation but appears to have come from an erased file on the hard drive. When I mount sheepshaver's hard drive image and create a new disk image from it with Disk Utility, this picture is not included in the new disk image. I think that the installer may have copied an extension that contains this picture to the hard drive and then deleted it.

#15 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

This is a test to see if it is possible to attach binary files in this forum by means of JPEG. To see if it works, download the attached image and expand it with:

unrar x archive.jpg

Or possibly rename it to archive.rar and double-click it.

#16 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

QuickTime 1.0 - 1.6.2

#17 phreakout

phreakout
  • LocationIn Hell on Earth (MI)

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:41 AM

Oh, yeah, I know all those guys... :lol:

Is it just me or, by judging from all the fun they're having, they all seem to be the main reasons why those era Macintoshes weren't the best? Too much playing around equals shoddy product, me thinks?

73s de Phreakout. :rambo:
Walking down the street,
The leaves crunch beneath my feet,
Hey, look! An SE!
"Can't you just blow up a couple of PCs to keep the Mac God happy?" - jsarchibald

#18 Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

I think teams get a lot of stuff done if they're serious all the time, and they have a lot of creativity if they goof off a lot. Apple's edge has always been creativity and I think some of these pictures demonstrate where it came from! :)

#19 tt

tt
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

Is it just me or, by judging from all the fun they're having, they all seem to be the main reasons why those era Macintoshes weren't the best? Too much playing around equals shoddy product, me thinks?

Haha, I think you might be onto something.

Nice digital archaeology!!

Please backup and copy that floppy. Preserve software-- deletion is irreversible.

#20 Gorgonops

Gorgonops

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

These are from somewhere in the NetBoot Mac OS 9.2.2 disk image.

In case anyone cares I'm pretty sure that picture was taken at the Golfland USA in Sunnyvale.

(Can't be positive since lots of mini golf courses have a "volcano hole" like that, but the wall behind them looks familiar.)

No, wait, that's probably not what you mean when you say "... where these pictures came from...".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users