duo 230 hack???
Author Topic  
thecube84

USA
56 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  18:32:51
first, check out
http://www.liethen.com/firebook-mana/

i would like to do something similar to my powerbook duo 230, but i dont know where to start. anyone know of any good ideas on what to paint it with, and where to start... also can i upgrade a 230 to a color display??

oh and if anyone happens to have a working powerbook duo keyboard around, i might be willing to trade it for something... because my 230s keyboard doesn't work. i have a 270c and a 280c too, but i dont want to risk their lives trying to make them look cool.

--
//=\\ |L |E ><
|F (()) |R ||))
68k Macs Liberated: 5
(Im only 14, give me a break)

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  18:44:52
I want to do this to my 280c, only in blue, but I'll keep the "snow white" (what's up with that?) ridges. You can upgrade the screen by replacing it with that of a 280c model.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  21:23:55
Woo woo I love that link! That guy should give 'fritter a call

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 3, under Firewire's qualifications }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 24 Feb 2002 :  23:54:59
quote:

Woo woo I love that link! That guy should give 'fritter a call

that is pretty cool, but here is a link to a very cool duo hacking site.
http://www.powerbook.org/duo-zone-e/danger/project-x.html

this is a direct link to the part that specific to colored or clear panels:
http://www.powerbook.org/duo-zone-e/danger/project-s.html

i really love the howto on making clear parts, painting the inside of a clear part would be a far better way to go for both looks and durability. but painting the exterior would be a lot less work initially, upkeep would be use dependent, but some will be required as external paint finish wears.
http://www.powerbook.org/duo-zone-e/danger/clear-parts.html

jt2

Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  08:08:32

Nifty!

Question: does painting PowerBooks cause any heat problems?

Sgt. Tallgeese
Thread Lord of Darkness
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

thecube84

USA
56 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  13:54:25
quote:

I want to do this to my 280c, only in blue, but I'll keep the "snow white" (what's up with that?) ridges. You can upgrade the screen by replacing it with that of a 280c model.

yea me too.. im gonna do it in blue plus add a stencil shape of somekind in silver to the top.... i have a 280c but i want to try it on my 230 first... i was also trying to get my hands on a nice 2300c.... cool laptop.

anyway does the 230 know how to drive a 280c display if i just did that?? is it ready for color?? and is there some kind of communication between the logic board and the monitor that tells the duo what it is???

--
//=\\ |L |E ><
|F (()) |R ||))
68k Macs Liberated: 5
(Im only 14, give me a break)Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  17:00:29
quote:

anyway does the 230 know how to drive a 280c display if i just did that?? is it ready for color?? and is there some kind of communication between the logic board and the monitor that tells the duo what it is???

i don't know for sure, but i don't think so, i don't think a 250 can and it does active matrix.

why are you worried about screwing up your duos, you ARE planning to tear them down and just paint the shell parts, correct? sprucing up the inside makes sense to me as a starter project, many of the parts will be pretty much interchangeable across models, with the exception of the 2300 with the trackpad * see footnote

i'm not sure about the top of the lid, the 230 part will not fit the upgraded screen models, the bezel side probably won't work do to variations in screen size either, but the palm rests and bases should all be interchangeable.

figure out what you need/will work and mix and match after finding a few extra parts, maybe a couple of broken ones for testing too.

jt

p.s. i'll throw this one in the ring if you want to try it: the only real hack i've done on my duos barely counts, but really makes them work for me. i tweaked an embedded keyboard layout for the caps lock table with resedit that included tab, pg up, pg dn, home and end keys. it makes quicken such a joy to use, especially the tab key, that i have adapted desktop keyboards to use it also. the crappy stickers i made for the keycaps actually have turned a few heads and making a prominent set that looks cool would be a good first utility/appearance hack. figuring how to make it work in clarisworks is something i never did, i dont think they followed apples ui guidlines (go figure), i would have marketed the setup if i had, it would be killer for spreadsheet and database work.

*hate the trackpad on my 2300, someday i want to put a trackball/cover on it, but i almost always carry a mouse if i take the duo with me anyway, so no rush.

Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  19:45:59
On the website listed above I was thinking about using their hacks on the LED under the Caps Lock key and doing the "crystal ball" mouse ball. I have all the equipment and it will be a good learning experance.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 05 Mar 2002 :  15:33:51
That is SUCH a great job all around.

I'm planning on giving my Duo 230 a paint job siliar to that, except in green.

I also happen to have an extra DuoDock power supply.

But the only docks I have are the full DuoDockII and a Emachines PowerLink Presenter, which has neither SCSI nor Ethernet, and if I'm goinf to make a little dock that I can use at the cafe or in the labs or something, I must have one of those. (I have a Ethernet -> SCSI adapter)

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Holder of the Compact Mac -
-Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

[i]-Wand of Power with Shocking Flyback Transformer Tip
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 06 Mar 2002 :  07:06:53
quote:

That is SUCH a great job all around.

I'm planning on giving my Duo 230 a paint job siliar to that, except in green.

that's the best painting information that i have run across, it sounds very good to me technically. i haven't fact checked it, but within my the limits of my experience (25 years of signpainting) the information sounds very plausible. i'd check pactras specs for the paint and list of suitable substrates against apples spec for the plastic before proceeding.

check your mailbox, marchie, i sent you a utility and a graphics file for you to play mix and match with the color table. using GraphicConverter you can find and replace the three greens that i substituted for the reds in the mana hack for any shades you prefer and pre-visualize your hack. i can't post a link to it, if anybody else wants to play with the file maybe sombody can upload it. i'v got one more file to send when you clear your mailbox.

quote:

I also happen to have an extra DuoDock power supply.

(I have a Ethernet -> SCSI adapter)

which adapter do you have and how well does it work?

jt

p.s. the peg came back, it's only 60k so i must have stuffed your mailbox with the first file, check it an get back to me if you want me to re-send.

p.p.s. if somebody else wants to play with the colors drop me a line.

back again, i'd think twice before painting the rubber bumpers on the sides of the duo and i'd definitely test first if i still decided to try it.

Edited by - alcoa on 06 Mar 2002 07:37:57Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.