68k Hacks
 Military Macs!
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  14:43:13
I had an idea that I mentioned over at 'Fritter that involved hacking a IIsi into one of those old Army mobile-communications rigs, and suddenly the thought hit me, wouldn't it be cool to have a whole infantry of military macs? It would be great for the 68k MLA! We could have all kinds of Army-Surplus Mac-Hacks!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  14:52:34
quote:

suddenly the thought hit me, wouldn't it be cool to have a whole infantry of military macs? It would be great for the 68k MLA! We could have all kinds of Army-Surplus Mac-Hacks!

cool, just gotta find an army surplus counterbattery radar setup "for negating incoming b*******t from redmond!" *or cupertino for that matter*

jt2

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  15:11:33
Oh yeah, we'd have to make them real heavy duty! Keep them all army green, too!

The Techmatics TPI-863 would be good point of entry. It would be nifty to hack my ColorClassic into that!

Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  15:22:36
quote:

Oh yeah, we'd have to make them real heavy duty! Keep them all army green, too!

The Techmatics TPI-863 would be good point of entry. It would be nifty to hack my ColorClassic into that!

be better as a collectable in its own right, i think. a custom mock up would be very cool, easier too probably. absolute hardware accuracy probably wouldn't be a required anyway. ooh-cool-reaction-looks, good copywriting and a sense of humor about this kind of stuff has a lot more appeal to a much broader audience than the straight technical considerations in my estimation.

jt2

Edited by - alcoa on 22 Feb 2002 15:23:03Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  15:41:01
Definitely! That's what I was thinking, fashioning a similar steel case, but with a CC for it's insides, like a heavy-duty, color Lisa. Hacking something that rare would be uncivil!

A tongue-in-cheek caption under each military mac on a gallery page would quintessential!

Having the macs sync up to dummy weaponry that they could control via servo motors would also be cool!

Picture this...you walk into an abandoned warehouse only to be confronted by an unmanned security-IIfx-in-a-munitions-box wielding a 30mm machinegun on a 360-degree turret!!

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  17:26:08
How about picking up an old Kaypro and replacing the innards with that of a compact Mac. Kaypros are made of metal, you could paint the case green with that yellow stenciling that a lot of the military stuff has. Bolt some big metal handles to the sides and it would look pretty convincing, and Kaypros are common enough that it should be fairly easy to find one.

Or you could search out one of those TEMPEST compliant Macs they have listed on the Applefritter site...

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  19:34:37
quote:

How about picking up an old Kaypro and replacing the innards with that of a compact Mac. Kaypros are made of metal, you could paint the case green with that yellow stenciling that a lot of the military stuff has. Bolt some big metal handles to the sides and it would look pretty convincing, and Kaypros are common enough that it should be fairly easy to find one.

i've been watching for one for a long time and haven't found one yet. somebody had brought one for show and tell when they first came out, so i've kinda wanted one for quite a while. i haven't been able to come up with a decent luggable pc case either, but i'm looking. keep your eye out for old wang word processor cases, great big metal racklike jobs with a formica tabletop, they'd be perfect. ammo drums for .50 cal, 20 mm and cases for mortar or rocket rounds might also be pretty nifty for some hacks.

if somebody is serious about one of these hacks, i've got a pretty complete sheet metal shop (wood, plastic, plexi or just about anything else you can think of too probably) and would be happy to fab some aluminum, galvanized or black steel up to 18 or 20 gauge (16 max.). being in new youk, i really don't have much of a chance for inexpensive liberations. making interesting things is my real joy in life and i could use a little of that right now, so barter deals for extra macs, cards, monitors, etc. would be great if it sounds good to somebody else.

jt2

p.s. macquarium inserts would be duck soup for me too.

p.p.s. the sheet metal stuff in the pics dana put up for me is really rough stuff that i've just thrown together for the shop/office, a lot of it out of scrap. people who have seen it have been a lot more impressed by it than i am. i've got a portfolio full of good stuff if anybody has any doubts about my ability to deliver. please don't take any of this as bragging, it's an honest proposal and i've tried not to come off that way, thanks.

Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  07:10:44
I have a kaypro, but it still works and the case is in really good condition so I do not want to tear it apart to do a hack. I do have another dead lunchbox computer that I have been meaning to try and put a Plus in, but it is significantly less nice looking than a kaypro, it is bleached grey plastic, so I would have to paint it. The other problem would be figuring out a way to hack the keyboard.

AnubisTTP

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  09:02:10
I think I'm going to dream up some cases and draw the schematics for you, JT. I'd love to see what you could fab! Hmmm...I'll need a new case for my 840av...my LC 475...my CC...

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  15:07:21
Well today I sat down and tried to cram the guts of a Mac plus into that lunchbox computer case, and of course, the power/video board was too tall to mount vertically and if I mounted it horizantally there was no place to mount the motherboard. At least it was not a complete loss, aparently at some previous time I used the case to store other PC parts, and when I pulled it out of cold storage, I discovered it was filled with a bunch of 286 motherboards I didn't even know I had...

AnubisTTP

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  15:14:06
quote:

I think I'm going to dream up some cases and draw the schematics for you, JT. I'd love to see what you could fab! Hmmm...I'll need a new case for my 840av...my LC 475...my CC...

Oooh anyone have an aluminium alloy foundry/chroming process plant?... I wanna solid alloy 605 case in chrome!

dana (am I getting carried away... again...?)

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  15:25:56
quote:

[quote]
Oooh anyone have an aluminium alloy foundry/chroming process plant?... I wanna solid alloy 605 case in chrome!

dana (am I getting carried away... again...?)

only if the parts are too large, there are a lot of how-to's for such in the bookstores, haven't looked online, i have David J. Gingery's "designing & building the sheet metal brake" it is excellent, so check out:
http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/char/index.html
have fun
jt2

p.s. sheesh, googling for that link was faster than typing the freaking title! maybe this internet c**p really does work . . . . . but i cheated, i had his full name in front of me!

Edited by - alcoa on 23 Feb 2002 15:29:16Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  15:38:39
quote:

only if the parts are too large, there are a lot of how-to's for such in the bookstores, haven't looked online, i have David J. Gingery's "designing & building the sheet metal brake" it is excellent, so check out:
http://www.lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/char/index.html

omilord. Now... the 605 case would be a nice idea, but the stands for the open-computer I'd imagined earlier, I'd imagined as being cast aluminium. They wouldn't need to be terribly accurate, that would come with the drilling I suppose...

Although me and anything dangerous is a bad combination. I'd head into it with the plan of creating something awesome, and come out with a cast-impression-of-my-own-foot or something :D

dana (clumsy)

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  15:52:39
quote:

Well today I sat down and tried to cram the guts of a Mac plus into that lunchbox computer case, and of course, the power/video board was too tall to mount vertically and if I mounted it horizantally there was no place to mount the motherboard.

can't you extend the connections and mount the analog board on the bottom and the mobo on a flip lid parallel to the plane of the usual position (or the other way around)?

i'm going to do a keyboard hacking how-to eventually, first installment will be instructions for determining compatability of switch type and matrix configuration for any given keyboard hack. *see footnote

jt2

short version: get out a screwdriver and look at all the freakin' parts of the one you want to hack and do the same to as many keyboard types as it takes to find a way to hack the switch matrix ouput of the first keyboard to a suitable switch matrix input on the control board from a donor. (that's what has worked for me, anyway )

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  15:59:13
quote:

Although me and anything dangerous is a bad combination. I'd head into it with the plan of creating something awesome, and come out with a cast-impression-of-my-own-foot or something :D

i would prefer that you attempt the lost wax process before resorting to the lost foot process. sculpt what you want to cast, plaster cast that to make a negative mold, then cast and clean up the wax models to be packed in sand and . . . might need to use bronze, dunno, google, send me some links, we'll brainstorm.

jt2

Go to Top of Page

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2002 :  20:49:33
quote:

nopro, you seem to have a steady source of interesting hardware for bartering, so i won't have to ask for your firstborn.

if anybody is interested, don't do finished plans until you bounce them around with me a little bit, i'm pretty good with that 3D visualization stuff (head actually works pretty well in visual/spatial/graphical mode, it's verbal communications mode that's my downfall). i know quite a bit about different mfg/production techniques and materials choices for this kind of thing and can probably save you some work by trouble shooting fabrication processes before the schematics/prints are finalized. emailing sketches back and forth would be fun for me, but posting links to them so we could all kick 'em around would be really cool, has anybody seen anything like that on another site?

i have a feeling that we need a virtual hacks museum for some reason, wonder what could have given me that idea, hmmmmm?

jt2

Edited by - alcoa on 23 Feb 2002 20:52:28Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.