All Forums
 68k Hacks
 Motherboard Hacks?
Author Topic  
Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  19:54:59
Just a quick hack question. Is it possible to solder a part of one Mobo (like a Nubus/PDS slot) to another one? Would that work?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The Sane

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  20:20:56
quote:

Just a quick hack question. Is it possible to solder a part of one Mobo (like a Nubus/PDS slot) to another one? Would that work?

if there are empty pads for it as on some of the clones, yes it could. the process of desoldering the thru-holes for insertion of the connector then soldering it on a multilayer pcb is a touchy one, it's easy to wreck a mobo. you'd probably want a pretty decent solder sucker desoldering-iron and soldering-iron with useful temperature regulation if you don't have a backup mobo to fall back on.

even if the pads are not present it is possible to jumper to all the signals necessary to add a new interface in some cases. slots are just convenient physical nexus points for the signal traces whose states define abstract address space locations and physical datapaths all of which are available somewhere on the mobo, but some of which require buffering, format conversion or interface/cable driving circuitry and ROM and operating system support that may or may not be available. if you study the way different accelerators have been adapted to the macs unreasonably (imho) complicated, unstandardized and almost invariably shortchanged access points, you will get a very good idea of how the architectures have changed over the years and how i/o and processing structures are designed for better or worse.

*wonders if he should really post this one . . . . ok, do it!*

jt

Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2002 :  22:48:33
That means that I can unsolder the serial port on my Quadra 610 and add a Firewire one...

Jeremy
"I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd

Covert Ops
68k Macs Liberated:16
I love macs, macs love me, lets go blow up some PeeCee's. With a Power surge we'll fry their Circutry.
Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  06:59:36
This is a great place to start looking at mobo hacks - well clock chipping anyway. Serious hacking such as what you describe would be very difficult to say the least, but minor hacking could prove more fruitful

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  18:56:20
quote:

That means that I can unsolder the serial port on my Quadra 610 and add a Firewire one...

Uhhhhh....how did you plan to pull that one off again?

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 3, under Firewire's qualifications }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.